Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 3.0 questions?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
bbradUSMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 3.0 questions?

I just picked up the Caldera 3.0: http://www.redcatracing.com/Caldera3-0

I am looking to do some upgrades.

Already thinking about this lipo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

and this charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

Would also like to upgrade to metal servos and either a larger gas tank or run a secondary tank. Suggestions would be great.

If there are other upgrades I should do please throw them out there.

EDIT: Do I need an adapter for the charger to go to a house outlet? Will it work with my car battery? What is the expected charge time and run time with this set up?

I know lots of questions. I'm a newb to this world. I grew up building Jeeps not RC cars haha.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Caldera 3.0 questions?

ORIGINAL: bbradUSMC

Already thinking about this lipo: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

Would also like to upgrade to metal servos and either a larger gas tank or run a secondary tank. Suggestions would be great.

EDIT: Do I need an adapter for the charger to go to a house outlet? Will it work with my car battery? What is the expected charge time and run time with this set up?

I know lots of questions. I'm a newb to this world. I grew up building Jeeps not RC cars haha.

I'm a little confused. You have a Caldera 3.0, Nitro right? What are the lipo's for? Yes you can put a bigger tank with some modification. Alloy steering knuckles are a must for the Caldera, leave everything else plastic. That charger needs a 12v power supply or a car battery for power.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 AM
bbradUSMC

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

I'm a little confused. You have a Caldera 3.0, Nitro right? What are the lipo's for? Yes you can put a bigger tank with some modification. Alloy steering knuckles are a must for the Caldera, leave everything else plastic. That charger needs a 12v power supply or a car battery for power.
The lipo would be so I could recharge it. I don't want to be replacing batteries all the time.
Suggestions on modifications for the tank?
I finally broke the engine in and got the car tuned pretty good with my skill level. This thing is so much fun.
Why do you only suggest metal hubs and nothing else?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Dads like rc too

You can go crazy with the aluminum parts. It adds weight and it bends. The plastic steering knuckles are prone to strip out though. When you replace them with the alloy ones, you can loctite them in, the plastic ones will not. The plastic replacements are very inexpensive. Some people just choose to replace them with the plastic ones. If it becomes a problem for you, at least you'll have some info to help you decide. The gas tank is just a matter of fitting it. I don't think any of the larger tanks will just bolt in. Just get creative. People have relocated the tanks to wherever they find it easier to fit. As far as the servos go, check Nitrosports threads, he recommends a good inexpensive servo all the time that wont break the bank.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
bbradUSMC

I will probably stick with plastic unless I break them more often than I think I will.
BTW my car seem to be getting very hot when running on only one tank. So hot that I think it is causing it to kill itself. What could cause this? I am running at the about stock setting, 2 - 2.5 turns from closed. I did not touch the low.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Dads like rc too

I will probably stick with plastic unless I break them more often than I think I will.
BTW my car seem to be getting very hot when running on only one tank. So hot that I think it is causing it to kill itself. What could cause this? I am running at the about stock setting, 2 - 2.5 turns from closed. I did not touch the low.

Turns mean nothing, just a starting point. Your running too lean if it's getting hot at the end of a tank. If you have a temp gauge, tune so your around 230 degrees. If you don't have a gauge, make sure you still have good smoke when running. Also you can try the spit test, far from perfect but it at least gives you an idea of temp. Put some spit on the head, if it takes 4-5 seconds to evaporate you should be ok. If it sizzles your too hot. Also keep in mind with the cold spell everyone is experiencing right now that as the temp drops your engine will run leaner.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:32 PM
bbradUSMC

Turns mean nothing, just a starting point. Your running too lean if it's getting hot at the end of a tank. If you have a temp gauge, tune so your around 230 degrees. If you don't have a gauge, make sure you still have good smoke when running. Also you can try the spit test, far from perfect but it at least gives you an idea of temp. Put some spit on the head, if it takes 4-5 seconds to evaporate you should be ok. If it sizzles your too hot. Also keep in mind with the cold spell everyone is experiencing right now that as the temp drops your engine will run leaner.
So the fuel helps keep the engine cool then? I am in Hawaii, temps stay between 70-85 here lol. I will keep that in mind when Imake my way back to Texas though in a couple months. I think my buddy has a temp gun.
Also, how long should a glow plug last. I think the engine temp has a lot to do with it, but Iam burning through them very fast. What is the norm for them to last?
What do you think about an E starter? One that has the shaft attatched to it and is hand held. That pull start gets old fast. I already broke the first one and had to buy another because I pulled too hard.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Dads like rc too

[
So the fuel helps keep the engine cool then? I am in Hawaii, temps stay between 70-85 here lol. I will keep that in mind when I make my way back to Texas though in a couple months. I think my buddy has a temp gun.
Also, how long should a glow plug last. I think the engine temp has a lot to do with it, but I am burning through them very fast. What is the norm for them to last?
What do you think about an E starter? One that has the shaft attatched to it and is hand held. That pull start gets old fast. I already broke the first one and had to buy another because I pulled too hard.

yes, the fuel controls engine temp. The leaner the hotter. Leaner is faster also, have to find a good spot in the middle. The glow plugs are most definately going from one of two things. Either your just too lean and hot which kills plugs, or your continually flooding it which also puts a strain on the plug. Flooding is the other reason your having problems with the pull start. It's easy to understand why everyone wants a ez start when they're new to the hobby. I personally do not like them. It's another thing to carry around with you and keep charged. They can damage the engine also. Once you have some experience, you'll be starting your engine the first or second pull. Remember that when starting your engine if it doesn't start in a few pulls or at least cough or give you some sign that it wants to start within 10 or12 pulls, it's probably not going to start. Stop and see what's to right instead of just pulling and pulling.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM
bbradUSMC

[
So the fuel helps keep the engine cool then? I am in Hawaii, temps stay between 70-85 here lol. I will keep that in mind when Imake my way back to Texas though in a couple months. I think my buddy has a temp gun.
Also, how long should a glow plug last. I think the engine temp has a lot to do with it, but Iam burning through them very fast. What is the norm for them to last?

yes, the fuel controls engine temp. The leaner the hotter. Leaner is faster also, have to find a good spot in the middle. The glow plugs are most definately going from one of two things. Either your just too lean and hot which kills plugs, or your continually flooding it which also puts a strain on the plug. Flooding is the other reason your having problems with the pull start. It's easy to understand why everyone wants a ez start when they're new to the hobby. I personally do not like them. It's another thing to carry around with you and keep charged. They can damage the engine also. Once you have some experience, you'll be starting your engine the first or second pull. Remember that when starting your engine if it doesn't start in a few pulls or at least cough or give you some sign that it wants to start within 10 or12 pulls, it's probably not going to start. Stop and see what's to right instead of just pulling and pulling.
Makes sense. I think the combination of breaking in my engine, it was running very rich at that point, and it running too lean when I set it to "stock" setting, is causing my plugs to burn up. I will give it another half turn or so, run it a bt and check the temp. Yesterday I couldn't figure out why it ran all day and then wouldn't start anymore. Turned out my igniter was dead haha. Still learning.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Dads like rc too

Makes sense. I think the combination of breaking in my engine, it was running very rich at that point, and it running too lean when I set it to ''stock'' setting, is causing my plugs to burn up. I will give it another half turn or so, run it a bt and check the temp. Yesterday I couldn't figure out why it ran all day and then wouldn't start anymore. Turned out my igniter was dead haha. Still learning.

just remember, when in doubt turn it out. It will never hurt a thing to back the needles out and see some fuel spitting from the exhaust. Now you can tune in from there. Also keep in mind when adjusting and it's running good...leave it alone. Too many times we tend to "want a little more" out of these engines. Most of the time when they're running good they're not far from running too lean. If it's running good and still smoking, just have fun with it.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
bbradUSMC

Makes sense. I think the combination of breaking in my engine, it was running very rich at that point, and it running too lean when I set it to ''stock'' setting, is causing my plugs to burn up. I will give it another half turn or so, run it a bt and check the temp. Yesterday I couldn't figure out why it ran all day and then wouldn't start anymore. Turned out my igniter was dead haha. Still learning.

just remember, when in doubt turn it out. It will never hurt a thing to back the needles out and see some fuel spitting from the exhaust. Now you can tune in from there. Also keep in mind when adjusting and it's running good...leave it alone. Too many times we tend to "want a little more" out of these engines. Most of the time when they're running good they're not far from running too lean. If it's running good and still smoking, just have fun with it.
Really muggy day yesterday but some how got it running ery well. got through 3 tanks and the natorious steering servo went out. Ran to the hobby shop and picked up two metal servos. Extra for next time. got it installed and she ran great. Did about 5-8 tanks and not a single problem. Lots of dounuts and found some dirt piles near the baseball field and ramped it off of those. This thing is awesome, halls but. I think I am going to get larger tires and a faster servo for the front and move this one to the throttle. Steering still seems slugish.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Dads like rc too

Make sure your servo saver isn't adjusted too loose. If it is, your steering will be sluggish. Also, careful how big you go with tire size. The bigger they are the more low end you'll loose. You can compensate by changing your clutch bell. The less teeth on the bell, the greater the low end torque. Clutch bell from HPI Savage will fit.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
bbradUSMC

Make sure your servo saver isn't adjusted too loose. If it is, your steering will be sluggish. Also, careful how big you go with tire size. The bigger they are the more low end you'll loose. You can compensate by changing your clutch bell. The less teeth on the bell, the greater the low end torque. Clutch bell from HPI Savage will fit.
I didn't know I had a servo saver. Were and what does that look lie. still learning haha.
I was going to go with the same size tires as my buddies revo. That ok without changing out the clutch bell?
I am already peeling out everytime I take off. And I think the wider and taller tires will give me more stability and clearance.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
bbradUSMC

after reading up on servo saver's I don't think mine came stock with one.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Dads like rc too

The servo saver is the thumb adjuster on the steering linkage. It let's the linkage slip from the servo on bad hits. If its too loose it won't steer tight.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
bbradUSMC

what would it look like and how do I adjust it?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Dads like rc too

Chrome looking thumb wheel in the steering linkage.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
bbradUSMC

ok I will check it out tonight. if I want more steering power how should I adjust it.