Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

big block in a 10th scale redcat racing tornado buggy.

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

big block in a 10th scale redcat racing tornado buggy.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM
arless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block in a 10th scale redcat racing tornado buggy.

I have everything sorted out with the Big block mach .26 engine,in the tornado chassis except the motor mounts, I have l@@ked high and low, but no one sells this conversion kit.Wasted my money on adjustable engine mounts, cause they are to short and the mount to frame bolts do not line up. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Hulk1211

Default RE: big block in a 10th scale redcat racing tornado buggy.

I have only ever done one big block conversion and it was several years ago on a T-Maxx. I ran into basically the same issue as you did. I ended up drilling new holes in the chassis and running some shimms on the motor mounts to get my desired hieght. I ran it for a few year like that without any issue.

I wish I had a better answer for you, and maybe someone does here. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have put a .28 in a tsunami, basically the same setup and i used the original motor mounts, just had to redrill the mount holes in the chassis, it was a beast, i have a video of it up on youtube somewhere.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM
arless

Thanks for your help guys, I ended up taking all of your advice, I used the small block clutch bell, much lighter than the BB bell. a metal three shoe clutch, a new throttle socket from a dynamite throttle kit. and I ended up using my small block motor mounts. I drilled the engine for another center mount and drilled the chassis to fit the new mach .26 engine. It's all sorted out and ready to break in as soon as my 6mm roto starter wand comes. I can not wait to drive this light weight beast, rated 2.75 hp stock, I did install the upgrade turbo head button and glow plug kit. Should add some more performance to the engine. The redcat chassis with metal gears seems to hold up well with a big block? "so I have heard" with no parts breaking to speak of. I'll keep you posted after I get it up and running! Thank you guys for your help I probably would still be waiting on a magic engine mount that never would have come, who knows.
 All the best
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
arless

hey guys, I have two pics of my 10Th scale buggy with the dynamite mach 2 .26 somewhere in the picture gallery... I wanted to add a good clear picture to the gallery but it failed to inter?? Some sort of problem with the system, waiting on the mail man to bring my 6 mm wand still.

Again thanks for your help!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM
arless

I got it running this evening, fired right up first turn, settled into a wicked idle, let it run for two 75cc tanks of fuel then let cool. got dark on me. my 6mm wand never came yet so I had home depot cut the L off a hex Allen wrench so I can use it in a drill. Works great. Can't wait to break it in tomorrow, start driving it . I'll need some seat time before I start racing the engine much, probably need some wheelie bars. Anyway I'll let you guys know how it all turns out all the best Arless
Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 AM
Hulk1211

You should post some pictures. I would love to see it.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: arless

I got it running this evening, fired right up first turn, settled into a wicked idle, let it run for two 75cc tanks of fuel then let cool. got dark on me. my 6mm wand never came yet so I had home depot cut the L off a hex Allen wrench so I can use it in a drill. Works great. Can't wait to break it in tomorrow, start driving it . I'll need some seat time before I start racing the engine much, probably need some wheelie bars. Anyway I'll let you guys know how it all turns out all the best Arless
Be careful using a drill motor as a roto start. A drill will push through a flooded engine and destroy it. Make sure if your drill has a clutch you set it low so it will offer some type of protection.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 AM
arless

ORIGINAL: Hulk1211

click my gallery I have a couple of pics there.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM
arless

Thanks for the drill info, go to my gallery i have a couple of pics there.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
arless

ORIGINAL: Hulk1211

Hi hulk1211, I have some pics in my garage of the outlaw buggy there. Tell me what you think of the buggy??

All the best Arless
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM
arless

Hulk1211, what happened to you dude?? hadn't heard from you in a week or so, did you go to my gallery yet? I have 6 or so pics posted there of my latest creation. Have a L@@K, and let me know what you think. I hope all is well with you man... no family troubles or something. Take care, looking forward to your replies and good old nitro talk! All the best Arless