Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera SC 10E?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera SC 10E?

Hey guys. So my birthday is coming up next month, and my parents are letting me pick any rc car that is less than $200 RTR. Now, I would like a 4wd truck, and after searching, would also like it to be a short course truck. The redcat Caldera SC 10E fits the price range and what I'm looking for very nicely. My question is, is this a good truck? Is it durable and fun to drive? I won't be bashing extremely hard...nothing like jumping off the roof or anything, but I will be taking it off of a bike ramp and different things like that when it comes to bashing, but I will also be doing track running as well with the truck.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Caldera SC 10E?

ORIGINAL: Microz

Hey guys. So my birthday is coming up next month, and my parents are letting me pick any rc car that is less than $200 RTR. Now, I would like a 4wd truck, and after searching, would also like it to be a short course truck. The redcat Caldera SC 10E fits the price range and what I'm looking for very nicely. My question is, is this a good truck? Is it durable and fun to drive? I won't be bashing extremely hard...nothing like jumping off the roof or anything, but I will be taking it off of a bike ramp and different things like that when it comes to bashing, but I will also be doing track running as well with the truck.
I think you'll love this truck for what you want it for. The Volcano EPX pro is a bit faster if that's what your looking for, but the Caldera line is a little bigger since it's basically a shrunk down Earthquake. My son has the 10e and it takes a good beating. The only thing I would consider is either purchasing the alloy front steering knuckles or a few sets of the plastic replacements since they strip out very easy. It's really the only weakness on this truck. Also don't forget when you do replace some broken parts that a lot of parts from the Earthquake will fit it as well. The stock diffs took a beating on the jumps and after replacing a few stock sets I switched to the hardened Earthquake gears and haven't had a problem since.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pretty much as "Dads" said.
Will add that adding duct tape to the inside of the body helps it last longer.
And if you can swing it, buy an extra 5000mah battery to get better runtimes. Stock runtimes are only 10-12 minutes...and the stock charger takes 4-8 hours to charge the battery.
Hobbypartz.com has some 5000mah nimh packs with the same style battery plug the caldera uses for $30.

the stock plastic steering knuckles will last longer if you check the screws that hold them in before every drive. These tend to wiggle loose. If they get too loose they either fall out, or damage the threads inside the knuckle. The inside of the knuckle getting stripped is often why it becomes needed to upgrade to the alloy ones.

but you have found basically the only 1/10-4wd-brushless SC that is $200.

Do note, it is not the same wheelbase as other SC trucks, like a slash or sc10 ect. It may not be allowed in a spec race (if thats what you were planning on)
but if you just want a SC truck look with some speed for backyard bashing for friendly racing then the caldera sc 10e will do the job.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Microz

Cool thanks guys, and thanks for the tips as well. Yep, I plan on buying another 1 or 2 5000mah lipo batteries. I don't plan on actually racing it, but would just like something to run at the track for fun and for bashing. If I was going to race, I'd probably look into a 2wd. Also, as I've heard with redcats, the steering servos suck. If this is true, what would be a good direct drop in replacement not requiring any mods or new parts?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Dads like rc too

Cool thanks guys, and thanks for the tips as well. Yep, I plan on buying another 1 or 2 5000mah lipo batteries. I don't plan on actually racing it, but would just like something to run at the track for fun and for bashing. If I was going to race, I'd probably look into a 2wd. Also, as I've heard with redcats, the steering servos suck. If this is true, what would be a good direct drop in replacement not requiring any mods or new parts?
I'm sure Nitrosports will respond back about the servos. He always recommends a decent metal geared servo that's around $10 and many members have used them and say they work great. I know there is certainly an issue with Redcats lower grade servos, you always read about them on here. It's hard to believe, but I've never had one go bad. With the exception of the servo in one of my Sumo's, "which is completely different than 1/10 scale servos", all of mine have worked perfectly without failure. But having an extra in the parts box is not a bad idea. Don't forget that Redcat typically warranties their servos, and I've read on here more than once that they've replaced the defective one with one of their higher grade servo's.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Dads like rc too

I'm sure Nitrosports will respond back about the servos. He always recommends a decent metal geared servo that's around $10 and many members have used them and say they work great. I know there is certainly an issue with Redcats lower grade servos, you always read about them on here. It's hard to believe, but I've never had one go bad. With the exception of the servo in one of my Sumo's, "which is completely different than 1/10 scale servos", all of mine have worked perfectly without failure. But having an extra in the parts box is not a bad idea. Don't forget that Redcat typically warranties their servos, and I've read on here more than once that they've replaced the defective one with one of their higher grade servo's.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the stock servos are odd. Ive had a rs10 servo quit after 4 or 5 packs. My tornado epx pro servo has lasted more packs than I can recall. So its hit or miss. And if yours should fail quickly, redcat will replace is free of cost.

But, buy a tower pro MG996r off ebay. they ship from hong kong, so buy one now and when/if the stock servo fails you will have a metal geared servo ready to drop in it. They are $8-$10 shipped.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Microz

dads like rc too - Wow thats actually pretty good that your servos have lasted! It seems like most of the time they fail, but I guess it isn't a big deal. I never knew about the redcat free servo replacement...thats awesome!
Nitrosportsandrunner - Thanks for the suggestion on the servo! I'll look it up. One question about the servo...well...servos in general. What are those round button like black pieces and the gold colored metal pieces that come with the servo? What are they used for?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

dads like rc too - Wow thats actually pretty good that your servos have lasted! It seems like most of the time they fail, but I guess it isn't a big deal. I never knew about the redcat free servo replacement...thats awesome!
Nitrosportsandrunner - Thanks for the suggestion on the servo! I'll look it up. One question about the servo...well...servos in general. What are those round button like black pieces and the gold colored metal pieces that come with the servo? What are they used for?
generally those are only used when mounting the servos in a airplane. The black things are rubber pushing and the gold are metal sleeves. Neither are needed to put the servo into a rc car/buggy/truck.

Redcat's warrenty covers all electronic parts for (i think) 90 days from purchase. So the ESC/radio/reciever/servo/battery/charger are all covered if they should be bad out of the box or die within that time.
I have over a year on my tornado's stock servo tho.
2 of my friends had caldera 10e's. One of them had to replace the servo, the other was fine.
Generally is the plastic gears in the servo that go. So if you slam the wheel into a wall while turning you may strip the gears in the servo. There is a servo saver, but it only does just so much.
My buddy bought a traxxas 2075 ($45 servo at hobby shop) and it lasted 3 races before he had to buy a rebuild kit and replace all the plastic gears in it.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Microz

Oh okay cool thanks. Thats great that Redcat covers the electronics for 90 days! Looks like I'll be covered in case something happens. Seems like plastic geared servos are bad for the most part...there are exceptions to that, but it seems like metal gear is the best and longest lasting.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Microz

One quick question here. I think my mom might want to order my bday stuff today since my bday is coming soon, and a website called rufaster.com has the best price on it right now. Is that a reliable website to order from? Heres the link:
http://www.rufaster.com/caldera10e110scalebrushlesstruck.aspx
Old 02-16-2013, 07:04 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

One quick question here. I think my mom might want to order my bday stuff today since my bday is coming soon, and a website called rufaster.com has the best price on it right now. Is that a reliable website to order from? Heres the link:
http://www.rufaster.com/caldera10e110scalebrushlesstruck.aspx
I havent bought from him, but Ive spoken with the owner at lenght. He has been a Redcat dealer since the early days. He has his own stock and knows his stuff. so yes, reliable.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Microz

Okay cool thanks! I think thats where I will order from then.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Dads like rc too

Okay cool thanks! I think thats where I will order from then.
good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47833.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1852812  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Microz

Thanks! Thats a nice looking caldera you have there! What rims and tires are those?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Dads like rc too

Thanks! Thats a nice looking caldera you have there! What rims and tires are those?
They're Losi Zombies. Got them on a deal locally, rims and tires mounted. You do have to swap your hubs to Losi for them to fit. I want to get a clear body and paint it up. Tht body is from a Volcano "notice how short it is". I've heard the Traxxas Stampede body will fit good. I might give that a try.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

They're Losi Zombies. Got them on a deal locally, rims and tires mounted. You do have to swap your hubs to Losi for them to fit. I want to get a clear body and paint it up. Tht body is from a Volcano "notice how short it is". I've heard the Traxxas Stampede body will fit good. I might give that a try.
Ah okay thanks I don't think Losi makes those anymore. Yeah i noticed the short body. Let me know how the stampede body works out! I'm looking at getting a SVT Raptor body for the 10E.