Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat 1/6 scale shredder series?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Redcat 1/6 scale shredder series?

ORIGINAL: Microz

Well...that didn't go too well. Being only 15, I asked my dad if I could save up my money for a 1/5 scale gasoline powered RC car (redcat rampage XB), and he said no. He said its because ''last time you had something gas powered (it was nitro...), you dragged me into it for help with tuning and other crap....then you just sold it!'' I was 10 at that time, and had no knowledge about RC or anything. Now before anyone jumps on me, yes, I do pay for ALL MY RC STUFF WITH MY OWN MONEY whether its parts, batteries, electronics, upgrades, etc. So I guess I won't be getting one for quite some years now!!! [:@] Anyway, are there any other redcats which are durable and fun to drive which are electric? The 1/6 scales look like they are fun, but they don't look too durable...
wait 1 month, the Mirage is coming out soon. all new 1/8 scale sandrail. Brushless, 3s lipo battery and charger included.
As for the Dad situation (and me being a dad myself) I know where he is coming from. Tact is the key. Take time to slowly slip your knowledge of the differences between nitro and gas.
You dad likely knows how a weedwacker or chainsaw motor runs and how easy it is to tune. 1/5 Gassers are basically the same thing.

But to be honest, if you have only owned 1 nitro car, then a 1/5 may not be for you yet. These things to take alittle more skill to drive. The size and power means they can do some serious damage if you hit something (or someone)
Get some seat time in a 1/10 or 1/8 scale model that easy to maintain (brushless)
Brushless lacks the sound, but packs the same power (sometimes more) than nitro or gas.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...that didn't go too well. Being only 15, I asked my dad if I could save up my money for a 1/5 scale gasoline powered RC car (redcat rampage XB), and he said no. He said its because ''last time you had something gas powered (it was nitro...), you dragged me into it for help with tuning and other crap....then you just sold it!'' I was 10 at that time, and had no knowledge about RC or anything. Now before anyone jumps on me, yes, I do pay for ALL MY RC STUFF WITH MY OWN MONEY whether its parts, batteries, electronics, upgrades, etc. So I guess I won't be getting one for quite some years now!!! [:@] Anyway, are there any other redcats which are durable and fun to drive which are electric? The 1/6 scales look like they are fun, but they don't look too durable...
Don't worry, in a few years he'll be begging you to stay home and do something together.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nitrosportsandrunner - Okay cool thanks. Just saw the sandrail...looks AMAZING!!! I think I'll save up for one of those. Will I be able to use a 2s when I feel like going slower? I assume I would be able to. And actually, I'm the one who does all the yard work, so I tune the engines and all that...he just buys the things needed for them like gas and oil. Would you suggest after getting more 1/10 and/or 1/8 brushless experience, that I should get a couple nitros before a 1/5 gasser (years from now obviously due to the dad situation ). 

Dads like rc too - Hehehe yeah I'm sure he will. Especially since I plan on going to college in Florida which is only a small distance of 1,000 miles away!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Microz

So I'm looking for a 4wd truck that is durable and can take a beating, so would you guys suggest a Caldera 10E? Is the Caldera 10E a durable truck for bashing and running around on the track? Its the cheapest 4wd I can find, but would like to know if its even durable.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Dads like rc too

So I'm looking for a 4wd truck that is durable and can take a beating, so would you guys suggest a Caldera 10E? Is the Caldera 10E a durable truck for bashing and running around on the track? Its the cheapest 4wd I can find, but would like to know if its even durable.
You'll probably get better responses if you post this as a new thread, but yes the Caldera 10e is plenty durable for the price. It's not the cheapest though, that would be the Volcano EPX or EPX pro. Assuming you want brushless the EPX pro would be what you want. Personally I like the Caldera better since it is longer and harder to roll over.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Microz

Cool thanks! And yeah I'm sure I would get more responses by posting it as a new thread. I'm still searching, so not ready to post a new thread yet I guess.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Dads like rc too

Cool thanks! And yeah I'm sure I would get more responses by posting it as a new thread. I'm still searching, so not ready to post a new thread yet I guess.
No problem, if you look through the threads there is a lot of info on the Caldera 10e and the Volcano EPX pro. They're both great for the money and each has their own pros and cons. The Volcano is a little faster if that's what your going for. Personally, running the Caldera on 2s Lipo is fast enough to bash around and have a good time, while still having a little larger platform than the Volcano.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

No problem, if you look through the threads there is a lot of info on the Caldera 10e and the Volcano EPX pro. They're both great for the money and each has their own pros and cons. The Volcano is a little faster if that's what your going for. Personally, running the Caldera on 2s Lipo is fast enough to bash around and have a good time, while still having a little larger platform than the Volcano.
Oh okay cool I'll look around this Redcat section for some more information. I like the larger size of the Caldera vs the Volcano, and will only be running 2s, so seems like that would be a good candidate.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Dads like rc too

Another nice thing about the Caldera is you can swap in some parts from the Earthquake since it's derived from that platform. I put the hardened diffs from the Earthquake in my sons Caldera.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Microz

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

Another nice thing about the Caldera is you can swap in some parts from the Earthquake since it's derived from that platform. I put the hardened diffs from the Earthquake in my sons Caldera.
Oh thats actually pretty cool! I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know...that really makes me want the Caldera now.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 AM
Microz

So I realized I forgot to ask two things that are in my mind about 1/5 scale gassers, so I'll ask them here. 

1. Will I need to go through and loctite anything that is metal to metal? If so, does this include the screws that have any association to the engine?

2. Can I use the 2 stroke oil I use in my weedwacker for the 1/5 scale as well?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM
AmputeeRC

I know this is an old post but the shredder v2 with an upgraded steering servo is an amazing vehicle. Ive broke the front bumper mount and stripped the servo. Redcat replaced the servo but that went in my converted tmaxx. At 360usd its a great way to get into larger scale for cheap.