Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ESC Smoke Show

well my stock esc ezrun 80 amp in my earthquake 8e, after water proofing it about 7-8 packs ago went up in smoke. Opened it up and it had water in it. Looking for a waterproof esc. any suggestions, would like it to be hobbywing because i already have the programmer. Looking at this model,Hobbywing EZRUN WP SC8 Waterproof 120A Brushless ESC Speed Controller Truck. Will this work with the redcat earthquake 8e?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ESC Smoke Show

Nobody knows if this will work for me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sure that should work fine, considering its a 1/8 scale ESC. Also has a higher amp rating which is always good.
    Cars: Axial SCX10, Losi Desert Buggy XL
    Planes: Ember 2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

agreed, based on the specs it should work just fine.

how did you try to waterproof the old one? If water got in then something didnt get sealed right. Sucks, sorry to here about it.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i used liquid electrical tape and coated the whole circuit board, but this new design 80 amp ezrun has 2 boards stacked together on top of each other with about 1/4" between them...hard to get it all sealed properly between the heat sink and circuit board.  I just did it to try it out...i don't mind spending only  for a factory sealed waterproof unit, there is video of this thing submerged and still working.  I'm pretty sure it will work from the info on the specs, just wondering if anyone has actually installed one in there own truck.  Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ricks, I have never tried to waterproof with the liquid tape but I did build a little waterproof box for the receiver and esc and all connections with a Plano waterproof box. Just a suggestion. I wet my receiver once and that was enough for me. The box was 7 bucks and I never wet either one again. I'm in Louisiana so there is unexpected water everwhere...waterproof is a must have for bashing down south...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11631.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	1854285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12549.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	1854286  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Johnathond22

*Ricks, I have never tried to waterproof with the liquid tape but I did build a little waterproof box for the receiver and esc and all connections with a Plano waterproof box. Just a suggestion. I wet my receiver once and that was enough for me. The box was 7 bucks and I never wet either one again. I'm in Louisiana so there is unexpected water everwhere...waterproof is a must have for bashing down south...
    thats not a bad setup.

would be harder on a 8e, as there is less spare room....and the ESC is higher amp/volts and needs more air for cooling. That kind of setup on a 8e could only work safetly in the winter time.

But the sc8 should do the trick. Then build a box like john's for the reciever and seal your servo's case with elect tape and add some grease to the output and you are good to go.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agreed, I do sometimes experience the overheating ESC but the truck stops with proctection and starts again once operating temp is reached. When I'm running in a known dry zone I just pop the box top off and overheat is not a problem. It was a quick fix for known wet situations. I would like to order a waterproof esc and servo as well, but funding is a hurdle. Once I get one I'll reduce box size for receiver only.

Let us know how the new ESC works. I may get the same for my Volcano.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

update.... Well put the new hobbywing 120 amp sc8 waterproof esc in the earthquake 8e, ran 2 packs though in the snow and this thing is great. The sc8 is much smaller than the 80 amp and it crawls at low speeds better also. (no ratcheting at all) I wish the earthquake came with this esc. I just hope the smaller size will stay cool enough in the summer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow! never seen that before.
    Redcat Dealer for AmazingRCstore.com
    RC Cars Canada