Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My STK just arrived:)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My STK just arrived:)

I bought a Lightning STK for the indoor track and it arrived today.

I had thought that it would have a different ESC, as the motor spec on the website says 19t. but its the same ESC as used in the lightning drift (27t motor)

Then I realized it is a 550 sized motor. This means its about the same as a 21t 540 brushed motor (the limit I believe on this esc)

The body will require a touch of trimming on the front wheel wells, otherwise it looks good.

The tires have a cool tread and have foam inserts.

I will be going to the track thursday, so I should have some running video up by the weekend.

I wanted to try some onroad racing, but couldnt bring myself to drop $200+ for a RTR tamiya. The STK has a fairly scale body and should have plenty of punch with that motor.
I will be running the stock 1800mah nimh as well as some 2000mah nimh packs I have.
If I remember to bring my temp gun, Ill try running a 2s lipo pack threw it
I will probly add alittle camber to help it get around the track quickly.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59642.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1853967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46755.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1853968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82592.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1853969  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My STK just arrived:)

Nice! I would like to know how it handles whenever you get around to it. Looks like fun! It also looks like its modelled after a NASCAR stock car...not my type of racing. I'll probably get a different body right away if I ever consider one to try out onroad racing.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Microz

Nice! I would like to know how it handles whenever you get around to it. Looks like fun! It also looks like its modelled after a NASCAR stock car...not my type of racing. I'll probably get a different body right away if I ever consider one to try out onroad racing.
The Redcat thunder cars will be out soon. These are belt drive instead of shaft like the lightning...but they have more sports car looking bodies.
There are also the lightning drift...basically the same as the STK, but with sports car bodies....a 27t motor and drift tires.

I watched a fellow hobbiest run his tamiya TT-01 around the track last week. His car costs him $200 (used) and he hit the wall hard and tore a wheel right off! If the STK can run the track as fast as his TT-01 (which I belive it can) then it will be well worth the money I spend and alot of fun.

Bodies from any 1/10 onroad can be used....and while I dont personally watch NASCAR racing (Their making another Left turn!) The scale factor of the STK body is pretty cool for a low cost RTR. Bodies are almost the most expensive part of onroad cars. Some bodies can cost you $100!

Ive already driven the STK on my kitchen floor (smooht) and had it drifting around with ease

Onroad cars are fun if you have a good place to run them. smooth parking lot or driveway is needed (or in my case, the indoor RC track) and having the ability to setup a course makes them more fun.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Eshore

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I bought a Lightning STK for the indoor track and it arrived today.

I had thought that it would have a different ESC, as the motor spec on the website says 19t. but its the same ESC as used in the lightning drift (27t motor)

Then I realized it is a 550 sized motor. This means its about the same as a 21t 540 brushed motor (the limit I believe on this esc)

The body will require a touch of trimming on the front wheel wells, otherwise it looks good.

The tires have a cool tread and have foam inserts.

I will be going to the track thursday, so I should have some running video up by the weekend.

I wanted to try some onroad racing, but couldnt bring myself to drop $200+ for a RTR tamiya. The STK has a fairly scale body and should have plenty of punch with that motor.
I will be running the stock 1800mah nimh as well as some 2000mah nimh packs I have.
If I remember to bring my temp gun, Ill try running a 2s lipo pack threw it
I will probly add alittle camber to help it get around the track quickly.

NICE!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 AM
Microz

The Redcat thunder cars will be out soon. These are belt drive instead of shaft like the lightning...but they have more sports car looking bodies.
There are also the lightning drift...basically the same as the STK, but with sports car bodies....a 27t motor and drift tires.

I watched a fellow hobbiest run his tamiya TT-01 around the track last week. His car costs him $200 (used) and he hit the wall hard and tore a wheel right off! If the STK can run the track as fast as his TT-01 (which I belive it can) then it will be well worth the money I spend and alot of fun.

Bodies from any 1/10 onroad can be used....and while I dont personally watch NASCAR racing (Their making another Left turn!) The scale factor of the STK body is pretty cool for a low cost RTR. Bodies are almost the most expensive part of onroad cars. Some bodies can cost you $100!

Ive already driven the STK on my kitchen floor (smooht) and had it drifting around with ease

Onroad cars are fun if you have a good place to run them. smooth parking lot or driveway is needed (or in my case, the indoor RC track) and having the ability to setup a course makes them more fun.
Cool I'll be looking at the thunders then. But I'll probably get this one and just get a new body from HPI or something. But I have to agree, it is pretty scale. Seems like its a nice car then by your first impressions...I'd probably run it at my indoor track over here as well. Oh and I'm sure it can be as fast as the tamiya TT-01...I'm sure that its power system isn't that far off.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, a stock tamiya runs a 27t motor and a crap ESC. Well, the stock STK esc isnt anything to ride home about either, but youd think tamiya would have updated their kit ESC's by now. Their esc's dont even have BEC. There is an extra wire coming out of the ESC that has to be plugged into the batt port of your reciever in order to power it. Its very old tech.

I have the stock 1800, a 2000 and a 3000mah nimh packs to run at the track tomorrow. And if I can find my temp gun Ill try a 2s lipo pack. A 2s will push the ESC but Ill only know if it can take it if I try it!
Worst case, I drop in a Tazer 15t esc I got off ebay for $23. That will handle 2s and the stock motor (or even a faster one) without issue.
With the increase in cheap brushless systems, some decent brushed ESC's can be had for very little. The tazer 15t, losi 12t and traxxas xl-5 can all be bought for $25-$35 (used) on ebay. All can handle down to a 15t 540 motor as well as a 2s lipo pack. And on a race track brushed power is plenty fast!

I prepped the body by adding gorilla tape to the inside. I also put in a popcile stick under the hood to keep it flatter. The body was a bit smooshed and that was what caused the fenders to touch the wheels a tad. Gorilla tape is very sticky and super strong. It will not only help prevent cracks, but should one form it will keep it from getting bigger.
Tape around the body mount holes and in the fenders will keep the body pins and wheels from rubbing away the paint.
Now the wheel wells look much better.

Name:	Ge96222.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1854308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27727.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1854309  
Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Microz

yeh, a stock tamiya runs a 27t motor and a crap ESC. Well, the stock STK esc isnt anything to ride home about either, but youd think tamiya would have updated their kit ESC's by now. Their esc's dont even have BEC. There is an extra wire coming out of the ESC that has to be plugged into the batt port of your reciever in order to power it. Its very old tech.

I have the stock 1800, a 2000 and a 3000mah nimh packs to run at the track tomorrow. And if I can find my temp gun Ill try a 2s lipo pack. A 2s will push the ESC but Ill only know if it can take it if I try it!
Worst case, I drop in a Tazer 15t esc I got off ebay for $23. That will handle 2s and the stock motor (or even a faster one) without issue.
With the increase in cheap brushless systems, some decent brushed ESC's can be had for very little. The tazer 15t, losi 12t and traxxas xl-5 can all be bought for $25-$35 (used) on ebay. All can handle down to a 15t 540 motor as well as a 2s lipo pack. And on a race track brushed power is plenty fast!

I prepped the body by adding gorilla tape to the inside. I also put in a popcile stick under the hood to keep it flatter. The body was a bit smooshed and that was what caused the fenders to touch the wheels a tad. Gorilla tape is very sticky and super strong. It will not only help prevent cracks, but should one form it will keep it from getting bigger.
Tape around the body mount holes and in the fenders will keep the body pins and wheels from rubbing away the paint.
Oh wow, that really is old technology! Tamiya should step it up. Does the stock redcat ESC have a LVC? Oh and nice score on the Tazer 15t ESC! Thats a really good price. I agree though, brushed ESC's are getting pretty cheap. The gorilla tape is a good idea, especially with these redcat bodies since I heard they are quite fragile. Oh and the body looked HUGE in front of your kid LOL! For a second I thought it was like a 1/5 scale!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Oh wow, that really is old technology! Tamiya should step it up. Does the stock redcat ESC have a LVC? Oh and nice score on the Tazer 15t ESC! Thats a really good price. I agree though, brushed ESC's are getting pretty cheap. The gorilla tape is a good idea, especially with these redcat bodies since I heard they are quite fragile. Oh and the body looked HUGE in front of your kid LOL! For a second I thought it was like a 1/5 scale!

no, stock esc doesnt have LVC.
LVC is nice, but the truth is you can notice a sudden drop in power when its time to stop running a lipo.

i bought 2 tazer 15t's recently. one for $23 and another for $18 (price including shipping)
My boy was on the other side of the table, so the body looks huge being close to the cam and he being far, a funny perpescive thing.
I put gorrila tape on all my bodies, redcat and otherwise. bodies are expensive, so $2 in tape is worth it to make them last longer.
Others will use drywall mesh stuff+shoe goo, but gorrila tape is easier and works very well.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Microz

no, stock esc doesnt have LVC.
LVC is nice, but the truth is you can notice a sudden drop in power when its time to stop running a lipo.

i bought 2 tazer 15t's recently. one for $23 and another for $18 (price including shipping)
My boy was on the other side of the table, so the body looks huge being close to the cam and he being far, a funny perpescive thing.
I put gorrila tape on all my bodies, redcat and otherwise. bodies are expensive, so $2 in tape is worth it to make them last longer.
Others will use drywall mesh stuff+shoe goo, but gorrila tape is easier and works very well.
Ah okay I didn't know that. I've never run without LVC. Those are some good prices on the ESC's! I agree on the bodies being expensive; although, I like the scale looks of some bodies, so thats one reason I would buy another one.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the trick to find sweet deals on ebay is how you search.

I dont mess with auctions. 99% of everything Ive bought off ebay is BIN.

If you search BIN ads, and look threw the newly listed ones...thats when you find good deals.

Ive found a RTR traxxas rustler VXL for $150 shipped before as a BIN. considering just the brushless systems go for $80-$110, a RTR truck with the system for $150 is awsome.

There are also some decent looking pre-painted bodies for cheap. They ship from hong kong and you do have to be careful when buying. Some are cheap because they are in no way liscensed and thus the words are printed wrong.
I bought subaru rally body. It looked cool, but said suberpu instead of subaru! Same with other branding on the body, all misspelled.

But I recently bought a mazda rx7 body, black and white for $20 shipped. It said mazda and rx7 on it and was spelled right. body was pretty decent overall and shipping was less than 3 weeks.

I plan on getting this AE86 body and some drift wheels for the STK down the road.
check out the ad, not a bad body at all for $18!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150918078224...84.m1438.l2649
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I ran the STK today.
Sadly, I forgot the camera[&:]

the track was setup as an oval. I would have liked to try a street setup but maybe next week.

the car handles well out of the box. I did add some preload spacer to the rear shocks, but otherwise its box-stock.

The car has plenty of get-up-and-go even on a 3000mah nimh pack. I would have liked more top speed on the oval, but on a street course it would have been plenty fast.

The tires work very well for a RTR tire. It would understeer only if I turned it fully when at full speed. Otherwise it was very neutral handling.

There were brushed and brushless SCT trucks running at the same time. Tho the STK was slower on the straight, it kept up since it could corner much tighter.

I ran a full 3000mah nimh as well as a full 4000mah lipo pack. The lipo did help the top speed alittle. I also forgot the temp gun (left the whole tool box home!) but no magic smoke. If you ran a 2s lipo on the volcano EPX, it would probly burn up right away. But on the STK, with small tires and less rolling resistance it seems it can handle it.

I will probly install a HPI 15t motor and the Tazer 15t esc I picked up. That should up the top speed.

The body looks more real now, plenty of scrub marks on the side.....and one nice SCT truck tire mark on the hood!

I did hit the wall once super hard (some damage to the front fender) The impact knocked the wheel loose. I picked up the car thinking the A-arm had broke, but instead the steering link and camber link had popped off their ball studs. Snapped them back on and good to go. No breakage at all. My past lightning EPX Pro had proved to be very durable and the same looks to be true of the STK (should be, same chassis)

I really wanna get this on a street course. I also wanna get some drift wheels for it.

Overall, today I give the STK a 7.5/10. It could use a touch more speed and the stock motor should probly have a heat sink. Otherwise it runs as well as any $200+ TT-01 I have had.

You got to love all the debris the chassis collected from the track.

Name:	Xu62540.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1854726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91471.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1854727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77821.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1854728  
Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Microz

Thanks for the tips on the ebay purchases! And yes, that is an awesome body for $18!!! At least the oval suits the style of the car! Nice to hear about the speed not being too slow, and the news that a 2s lipo works in there...I'm starting to like it! Sounds durable as well....I'm going to guess the track was carpet based on what the debris looks like? Thanks for the report!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks for the tips on the ebay purchases! And yes, that is an awesome body for $18!!! At least the oval suits the style of the car! Nice to hear about the speed not being too slow, and the news that a 2s lipo works in there...I'm starting to like it! Sounds durable as well....I'm going to guess the track was carpet based on what the debris looks like? Thanks for the report!
no, the track is paved. The debris if finely shredded tires.
The tires on my ECX torment have held up fine on the track, but the much softer tires on my SC10 show wear after just a few packs. The pavement takes fine particals off the tires. The car being low ot the ground picked up alot of this rubbery material.

I only ran one 2s lipo threw it, only time will tell if this can be done over and over again. But the low gearing of the motor and small tires do put less strain on the ESC than it would get in the volcano EPX.

I will run it in a open parking lot this weekend and get some video. Then I will install my HPI motor and used Tazer ESC. we shall see how much more speed I get out of that $33 upgrade.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Microz

no, the track is paved. The debris if finely shredded tires.
The tires on my ECX torment have held up fine on the track, but the much softer tires on my SC10 show wear after just a few packs. The pavement takes fine particals off the tires. The car being low ot the ground picked up alot of this rubbery material.

I only ran one 2s lipo threw it, only time will tell if this can be done over and over again. But the low gearing of the motor and small tires do put less strain on the ESC than it would get in the volcano EPX.

I will run it in a open parking lot this weekend and get some video. Then I will install my HPI motor and used Tazer ESC. we shall see how much more speed I get out of that $33 upgrade.

Ah okay didnt know there could be that much debris on a paved track! I'll be anticipating your report on the upgrades.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

short running vid up on youtube now.
top speed is only about 20mph. It seems much faster on a track than it does on a open parking lot.
It make look slow, but its about the same as what you get from a RTR tamiya TT-01 with stock motor/esc.

Plus, as you can see, I did a few things one is not supposed to do with a onroad car

I will install my Tazer ESC and 15t motor and see what that does for the top speed.

I did just notice today a label saying you can only use a 7.2v nimh, 1800-3600mah. I ran a full 4000mah 2s lipo, but I did run it 12mins and then raced my truck and then ran the rest of the 2s pack.
But on the flip side, I was almost 100% throttle the whole time.

But Ill throw the stock ESC/motor up on ebay. Its perfect for a beginner's car or for the tamiya freaks who dont mind going only 20mph.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QIgb0uB3is&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ&index=1[/youtube]
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Microz

Nice video! Looks plenty fast for an on road car if used on a track. EXTREMELY durable too by the looks of it! Oh and when you were jumping the car, it reminded me of Ken Block... .
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Nice video! Looks plenty fast for an on road car if used on a track. EXTREMELY durable too by the looks of it! Oh and when you were jumping the car, it reminded me of Ken Block... .
thanx.
And I agree, on the track the car is plenty quick. The acceleration is as good as most any RTR.
The tires work very well for a RTR as well.

On a big open parking lot, you will want more speed than the stock system. Unless you make your own course.

At the track thursday it was an oval, and I was running the STK along short course trucks...some brushed that can do 30mph and some brushless that can do much faster. But the STK was just fast enough and could cling to the inside of the turns so that I did get passed unless I screwed up.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Microz

thanx.
And I agree, on the track the car is plenty quick. The acceleration is as good as most any RTR.

On a big open parking lot, you will want more speed than the stock system. Unless you make your own course.

At the track thursday it was an oval, and I was running the STK along short course trucks...some brushed that can do 30mph and some brushless that can do much faster. But the STK was just fast enough and could cling to the inside of the turns so that I did get passed unless I screwed up.
Nice to hear! So if I'm just going to run the on road on a track, it should be plenty fast when stock?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

thanx.

Nice to hear! So if I'm just going to run the on road on a track, it should be plenty fast when stock?

yeh, 20mph on a tight track is plenty of speed.
The oval I ran on thursday was 60x50' and the car was quick enough. Take that same space as a street course and it would be even better.

I did just find I bent a front dogbone on those jumps from the video. I bent it back and its all good. I should have put a rubber O ring or a piece of nitro fuel tubbing on the diff side drive cup to lesson the play in the dogbone like I have on my tornado and volcano models.

Other than that, theres no damage other than some knicks on the body.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Microz

Ah okay thanks. Good to hear you got the dogbone all fixed up as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

some footage of the STK running on a track....sort of
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzr7CePIzSY[/youtube]