Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 10E speed run with Lipo

Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Eshore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 10E speed run with Lipo

I did some speed runs today with the Caldera 10E. When I ran the 2s Lipo I got 37mph, and when I ran the 3s Lipo I did around 43-45mph, and nothing ran hot, but it was only speed runs also.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Caldera 10E speed run with Lipo

ORIGINAL: Eshore

I did some speed runs today with the Caldera 10E. When I ran the 2s Lipo I got 37mph, and when I ran the 3s Lipo I did around 43-45mph, and nothing ran hot, but it was only speed runs also.
that sound about right to me.
Offroading with a 2s or especially 3s will produce alot more heat than speed runs, so dont change the gearing if you plan to do both.
But if you did want to just run on the street you may be able to go up 1-2 teeth on the pinion.
2s lipo make a big difference over the stock NIMH battery right?!

45mph is pretty impressive for that small motor and 35amp esc in a full size 1/10 4wd truck!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Eshore

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

that sound about right to me.
Offroading with a 2s or especially 3s will produce alot more heat than speed runs, so dont change the gearing if you plan to do both.
But if you did want to just run on the street you may be able to go up 1-2 teeth on the pinion.
2s lipo make a big difference over the stock NIMH battery right?!

45mph is pretty impressive for that small motor and 35amp esc in a full size 1/10 4wd truck!
Yeah the 2s is a big, big difference over NIMH. And I strapped my gps from my phone in the truck and rode on 3s and got the 43-45mph. I couldn't believe the motor would get that type of speed, but its not something I want to do on regular, but I just wanted to see what it could do. It makes me wonder how its gonna ride with the type of system you recommended for it, because if it can do this then I know it should produce alot more with that system, but does need better tires.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I would think a proper 540 sized motor running a ESC of 60 or more amps should be able to run 55 or better on 3s.
A VXL system could push it to 60mph with proper gearing.

Speed runs are kinda fun, but at those speeds any rc becomes hard to control. Especially if it has larger tires which ballon alot at speed.

Im sure you noticed on 3s that the front tires ballon alot if you get on the throttle too fast.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Eshore

I would think a proper 540 sized motor running a ESC of 60 or more amps should be able to run 55 or better on 3s.

Speed runs are kinda fun, but at those speeds any rc becomes hard to control. Especially if it has larger tires which ballon alot at speed.

Im sure you noticed on 3s that the front tires ballon alot if you get on the throttle too fast.

You're right they will balloon. I guess when I find me a nice pair of tires, I'm gonna tape them like I did my other RC's and then I won't have to worry about that anymore hopefully. But if I get the right 540 & ESC do you think I will mess up the gears running on 3s, and if so what gears would you recommend upgrading, because I really like this truck and will be bashing with it & also will be on a friends track. dirt track, I want to have it reliable. Or I'll be back running the 2wd Stampede again, and I want to use the Caldera with 4wd.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

You're right they will balloon. I guess when I find me a nice pair of tires, I'm gonna tape them like I did my other RC's and then I won't have to worry about that anymore hopefully. But if I get the right 540 & ESC do you think I will mess up the gears running on 3s, and if so what gears would you recommend upgrading, because I really like this truck and will be bashing with it & also will be on a friends track. dirt track, I want to have it reliable. Or I'll be back running the 2wd Stampede again, and I want to use the Caldera with 4wd.

bigger motor, plus 3s lipo can damage the gears. Thats the main reason I suggest an ESC with adjustable punch control and brakes. These features will make up for the truck not having a slipper clutch.
If the diff gears do give up, you can install the upgrade ring and pinion option for the 8e line. They are the same, just hardened steel.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Eshore

bigger motor, plus 3s lipo can damage the gears. Thats the main reason I suggest an ESC with adjustable punch control and brakes. These features will make up for the truck not having a slipper clutch.
If the diff gears do give up, you can install the upgrade ring and pinion option for the 8e line. They are the same, just hardened steel.
Ok thats sounds good, and the wife said she going to give me a gift of buying an upgrade system for my Caldera, so I want to have one that is going to give me a boost but also reliable. Thats why I asked you 100 questions regarding because I'm hoping to come to you and get right thing. lol
Old 02-25-2013, 05:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

its better to ask 100 Q's then to figure this stuff out the way I have...LOL.
Ive shredded a few drivetrains...toasted some motors and such in my time.

Im working on a 1/5 scale brushless truck based off a Traxxas slash...used redcat 8e earthquake tires and a redcat Rampage body.
Dimentions right now are about 30 inches long, 17 inch wheel base and a 16 inch track. Its huge.

I built one out of a stampede a year or 2 ago, but this time around Ive modded the suspension better to give more width.

Anytime you get board with the hobby, you can always jump into a new segment/type or go crazy and build something totally unique. Or as you have found, upgrade what you got and make it perform very different. 2s and 3s lipos made a huge change in the truck, and a larger motor/esc combo will just add to the new top speed you have found.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Eshore

its better to ask 100 Q's then to figure this stuff out the way I have...LOL.
Ive shredded a few drivetrains...toasted some motors and such in my time.

Im working on a 1/5 scale brushless truck based off a Traxxas slash...used redcat 8e earthquake tires and a redcat Rampage body.
Dimentions right now are about 30 inches long, 17 inch wheel base and a 16 inch track. Its huge.

I built one out of a stampede a year or 2 ago, but this time around Ive modded the suspension better to give more width.

Anytime you get board with the hobby, you can always jump into a new segment/type or go crazy and build something totally unique. Or as you have found, upgrade what you got and make it perform very different. 2s and 3s lipos made a huge change in the truck, and a larger motor/esc combo will just add to the new top speed you have found.
Do you think the setup you recommending for me and the Caldera 10E will be good for bashing and dirt track running with hills/ramps because my friend is finishing his track soon and I would love to ride with them on it. I didn't know how bad it would be on gears, & heat running 2s/3s lipo. Because I want that extra punch and speed, but would like to put my ducks in a row on any other parts I may need to acquire along with the upgrade system.