Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My sandstorm

Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My sandstorm

Along with my Mirage, I bought a sandstorm.

Kinda like the Mirage's baby brother.

My 1st run was on pavement and over some small snow jumps. On the stock pack, its only 15mph. And the acceleration isnt that great.

At 1st I thought it was the gearing/motor.

but today I took it to the race track and uses a generic 3000mah 7.2v nimh pack. WOW, big difference. More like 20mph now and much better acceleration.

My 1st few times around the track didnt go well. the sandstorm doesnt have as much steering angle as say, my SC10. Add to that 4wd and narrow tires and there is a fair bit of understeer.

But, once I figured out how the truck wants to drive, I slung it around the track surprisingly fast.

You have to go into the turn full throttle, turn in hard and tap the brakes at the same time. The brakes are strong. This makes the front grab and the rear slide around, now peg the throttle again and pull out of the corner.

Once I got the hang of it, I was running side-by-side with a pair of brushless HPI Blitz's...I kid you not! I could turn tighter, and since I was not over powered I didnt mess up as much as the other guys did.

I was much happier with the truck than I expected to be. I didnt think it would be fun to drive at the track.

The shocks do need thicker oil, it will bottom out on the bigger jumps. Other than that, Im gonna leave it stock.

The body is held on with 4 body pins. Remove them, and the body/cage comes up and then hinges on the front. Its a pretty cool setup.

You will notice I trimmed the front bumper down (removed side "wings") and that I replaced the fake plastic spare wheel with a old Tornado wheel. Looks alittle better this way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92662.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1861580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92688.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1861581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61749.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1861582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17104.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1861583  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Eshore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My sandstorm

Sounds like you had a little bit of fun.