Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tornado S30 ring and pinion gears?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado S30 ring and pinion gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Onslaught

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado S30 ring and pinion gears?

I bought a Tornado S30 off ebay as a project to rebuild. I have a Redcat Backdraft 3.5 buggy and love it I plan on getting the 8E soon as well as a few other Redcat cars seeing as I am an authorized dealer . I am putting it back together and I am installing the differentials and the ring and pinion gears dont seem to be meshing together to well. They seem to be grinding bad. I dont see any shims or anything of that nature. Are there supposed to anything like that? Is there any way of telling how the mesh is between the gears?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tornado S30 ring and pinion gears?

ORIGINAL: Onslaught

I bought a Tornado S30 off ebay as a project to rebuild. I have a Redcat Backdraft 3.5 buggy and love it I plan on getting the 8E soon as well as a few other Redcat cars seeing as I am an authorized dealer . I am putting it back together and I am installing the differentials and the ring and pinion gears dont seem to be meshing together to well. They seem to be grinding bad. I dont see any shims or anything of that nature. Are there supposed to anything like that? Is there any way of telling how the mesh is between the gears?
There is a shim kit for your diff. I'm not sure of the part number, try sending Nitrosports a pm, he sells them. The gears shouldn't be tight, it's almost like setting your spur mesh. Also need to make sure your bearings aren't loose and giving you some slop in the pinion. They're not that dificult to figure out, there's really only three ways they feel when setting them up. Either tight, loose, or just right. Even one shim will make a difference.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

he is rebuilding the s30...it shouldnt need to be shimmed like the 8e/3.5 models.
plus, tight gears would mean removing shims.
A ball bearing may be to blame, either not sitting in the housing right or its just a bad bearing.
do the gears roll well before the housing is screwed together?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

he is rebuilding the s30...it shouldnt need to be shimmed like the 8e/3.5 models.
plus, tight gears would mean removing shims.
A ball bearing may be to blame, either not sitting in the housing right or its just a bad bearing.
do the gears roll well before the housing is screwed together?
Adding shims on the outside will bring the pinion out of the gears if it's too tight, won't it? I had to do this on my front diff when I had my Tornado S30 or it would eat a set of gears in 4 or 5 tanks. But I agree it also could just be a loose diff bearing.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Onslaught

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I probably should replace all the bearings. They do look pretty bad. They look rusty and worn. I have noticed on the differentials that the drive ends of the diffs are a little sloppy and have a little play in them. Is that how they are supposed to be? I mean I can wiggle them up and down on their own. Not sure how to describe it. Maybe the diffs themselves are bad. The gears in them looked ok to me though.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Onslaught

Hmm I probably should replace all the bearings. They do look pretty bad. They look rusty and worn. I have noticed on the differentials that the drive ends of the diffs are a little sloppy and have a little play in them. Is that how they are supposed to be? I mean I can wiggle them up and down on their own. Not sure how to describe it. Maybe the diffs themselves are bad. The gears in them looked ok to me though.
No, the drive cups shouldn't move up and down. It is common for the bearings to wear out. If you have a hobby shop in your area, bring the old bearing in and match it up with a replacement. You can get good bearings that will last for about $3. Also, if your going to replace the diff gears, Redcat has an upgradeset available on their parts page.