Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rockslide Super Crawler Batteries

I just ordered a Redcat Racing Rockslide Super Crawler and was curious if it supported more than just NIMH batteries.. Like a LiPo 5000MAH 2C battery for longer run times.. If not is there a suggested ESC out there to purchase to convert it to LiPos. Any help would be appreciated

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Rockslide Super Crawler Batteries

you "can" but there is some risk of overheating the ESC. Also, the ESC has no low voltage detection, so if you dont notice the power dropping...you could overdrain your lipo.

I have done it on that ESC tho. I dont wanna recomend it, but it really should be fine. I know that a 7.2v 5000mah nimh wont cause any issue...so the extra runtime wont hurt it. The little extra voltage from the lipo shouldnt hurt the ESC either, tho the motors will run a bit warmer with the added power.

A great upgrade ESC that wont break the bank is the Outcry dual motor ESC from RC4wd. It also does not have LVD, but it can handle as much as 4s lipo! I run 3s lipo on mine (currently have a 1/8 MOA crawler on a custom 1/5 chassis with a redcat rampage body)
    This ESC also has turbo bec, which gives the steering servos full 6 or 7volts. With stock ESC, the voltage to the servos is reduced when the motors are given power.
    The ESC also has a fan for added cooling.
    Best part, only $60. You wont find a dual motor ESC for less...certainly not one with those capabilities.

As mentioned, I have a custom 1/5 crawler running that ESC. It started as a exceed mad torque....handmade ladder chassis, 1/5 body and running 3s lipo for alittle more wheel speed. That esc doesnt even get warm running 3s on this heavy truck.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO9ewtmfaKw[/youtube]

SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,