Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Can't figure out spur gears

Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Shady9503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't figure out spur gears

Hey guys, small issue im having with my EQ 3.5, im flying through spur gears, i know my mesh is right, its tight but not to the point of restricting movement, i had not stripped a gear in it for about a year, I stripped one when a little pebble made its way nicely between the gear and the clutch bell lol and suddenly im flying through them, funny thing is, i wont see any wear and tear on the gear untill i start jumping, and i make a point not to land throttle pegged, ( i learned the disasterous results of that when i first started :P ) is it my slipper clutch? i found that the nut kept coming undone and the spur would spin but not power the tranny, so i tightned it, i guess i lost that sweet spot when i stripped the first gear
Old 05-11-2013, 04:48 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Can't figure out spur gears

an overtightened slipper clutch will certainly damage spur gears.
its also possible that the bearings the spur gear or clutch bell ride on are worn.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Shady9503

hmm never even thought of the bearings, lol alright then i guess its time to tear apart the tranny XD thank you Nitrosports
Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

hmm never even thought of the bearings, lol alright then i guess its time to tear apart the tranny XD thank you Nitrosports
yeh, any back/forth or side to side play from worn bearings will cause your gear mesh to not be correct...even if it appeared so when you set it. the play may only be appereant when the driveline is under stress (ie, driving)

Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Shady9503

hmm in that case ive noticed when testing my servos that when i pull full throttle, my engine likes to move the slightest bit, didnt think it was an issue but i guess ill have to look into that aswell!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes if the engine is moving at all that will strip the gears your screws to the engine mount have to be locktite and screwed down tight as well as the screws on the bottom of the car in the engine mount.