Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Getting back in to RC's... Redcat options?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Getting back in to RC's... Redcat options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 AM
nitrosteve22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back in to RC's... Redcat options?

Hi all! Been a long time since I've been on here,anyways.... I have a complete & upgraded Tornado .18 just old bad radio/servos (really glad to hear they upgraded the radio setup). Was thinking old one for spare parts or ??? And since nefews are old enough to enjoy the hobby as well I was wanting to know if quality has improved? If so, should I get another Tornado or go for a different Redcat (and from where would help to ).

Thanks .
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 AM
JoePit

Default RE: Getting back in to RC's... Redcat options?

Since buying my Aftershock 8E I barely run anything else. I've upgraded a couple of things. The servo was the 1st thing to go along with the Transmitter and reveiver. I also waterproofed the entire vehicle so I could hose it down after my runs. I have a Slash 4 and I could honestly say I like my Aftershock better.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
rccrazer

the twisters are great choises other than the plastic tranny gets put under a big load. i still love my lightning str and volcano s30, if they are nitro enthsiests the shockwave would be an excelent first choise the enging is easy to tune, it's plenty fast, and you can beat the bajebus out of it. 8E series does have diff issues with the ring and pinion however this is esily fixed with the shim kit for the racing series. the sumo's arn't bad either. they're cheep on the wallet, basic performance (stock is still faster than the losi micro sct or rally), the tornado epx is no longer sold so the pro is still one of my personal favorites (they no longer sell it in brushed 27t form, sad, but it's perfectly raceable in a superstock class right out of the box.) the overall quality is that that esily rivals traxxas (no wonder people hate, traxxas even told us that they can sell us their products at whole sale if we drop redcat or we can pay them what they want. we hooked up with hrp) hpi, or any others. if you have any questions let me know. there isn't a redcat that i haven't touched researched or driven/owned. so any questions on a specific vehicle let me know through a thread reply and i will get back asap.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM
nitrosteve22

Thank you very much guys! Do the 1/10th scales come with the fancy remotes or is it just the 1/8th scales? Honestly I can't decide between the Vortex or the Caldera,will my old Tornado provide any spare parts? I've never had an 1/8th scale before and honestly either the Aftershock or Earthquake look sweet. Now I just cant figure out which one to order (also if its ok to list,any good sites with quick shipping & good deals?).

Thanks .
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
rsw007
My Feedback: (1)

Urchobby. Com
Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just recently been rebirthed into the world of RC. I have a Tornado S30. I bought a Caldera 10E for my son and just recently picked up a Monsoon XTR. The Tornado has been rock solid. I've had it since late October and the only thing that has given out has been the first gear spur gear. I made a few mods of personal choice, but it fires up everytime, is very easy to keep in tune and just works. In hind sight for running around the neighborhood and dirt lots, I would have rather had a Calder 3.0. I think it would handle the rough stuff a little better. The Tornado is a little limited by it's low ground clearance.

The Caldera 10E just takes anything you can throw at it. I'm a Nitro junkie and will never give up the smoke, but the brushless platform is always ready to go.

The Monsoon is a beast. Everyone tells you to just spend the money and go 1/8th scale. I was told this too. It's easy to tell someone that if you have the money. I wish I hadn't bought any of the 10th scale trucks we have. Their all decent quality, but there is no comparison to the build difference in the Monsoon. I realize the retail price between the Monsoon and the Tornado is roughly $140 difference, but take the lids off the two and place them side by side on the table. One look and you'll feel the same way.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:37 AM
nitrosteve22

Ordered a Caldera 3.0,should be here Thursday!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 AM
billymare

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rsw007

Urchobby. Com
X2
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: billymare

ORIGINAL: rsw007

Urchobby. Com
X2

X3 for Kurt!!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what color paint is that its really sharp.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
JoePit

If you're talking about my car it is just a touch of black to start off with a few coats of candy apple red. Then a few coats of white when she dried.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
nitrosteve22

Well tracking said it'll be here tomorrow anyways... Had a couple more questions.... I have an almost full quart of Traxxas 20% fuel thats been sitting (cap on tight) in my garage for about 4-5 years,any good? Also,the temps here are pretty chilly (around 50 degree's) is that to cold for these little nitro motors?

Thanks .
Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
nitrosteve22

Yay! Got my Caldera and put a tank of fuel through it last night and everything seems great except I can't get the wheel's to stop spinning @ idle so I'll figure that out after work tomorrow but either way I'm very happy! Thanks again Redcat! [8D]
Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 PM
SumoRcNoob

Hey all ,
im new to the RC hobby and this forum. I have just recently purchased a Tornado S30 and love it so far. what mods are worthwhile? any advic e or tips would be much appreciated thx.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: SumoRcNoob

Hey all ,
im new to the RC hobby and this forum. I have just recently purchased a Tornado S30 and love it so far. what mods are worthwhile? any advic e or tips would be much appreciated thx.

The Tornado is a solid little buggy. Redcat sells all sorts of upgrades for it....Don't buy any of them. Seriously though, all that aluminum junk is for show. With exception of a few things like maybe aluminum rear uprights, front shock tower definately...carbon fiber would be even better. The wheels will just split with minimal bashing, it's just one way of keeping the price down. If you don't have either a Redcat dealer or hobby shop close by that stocks Redcat parts, you should slowly be ordering things like front and rear control arms, steering links, dogbones. The parts are very inexpensive so as time goes by, order a little at a time and build up a little stash.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 AM
SumoRcNoob

alright thank you for the advice "Dads like RC too"! i have a hobby shop just up the street that has Redcat Racing parts so im in luck if i break anything. And i have already bought a few back up parts such as 'dogbones'. So it appears as if im on the right track.
 I have read that the installation of a "hop up" kit will increase the top speed to approx. 90 km/hr, is this true? 
Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Dads like rc too

> I have read that the installation of a ''hop up'' kit will increase the top speed to approx. 90 km/hr, is this true?
I don't see how the hop up kit would do anything except make it slower. If your talking about the full hop up kit that adds the front and rear aluminum arms, you'd only be making it heavier. It does nothing to the engine or gearing so if anything, performance should be slightly less than stock. It would probably be a marginal loss, maybe even hard to tell, but very doubtfull that it would increase speed.

Also, your very lucky to have a Redcat stocking shop locally. Many of us have to acquire parts on the Internet. Because of this I've built up quite a supply of backup parts, but unfortunately, half the times you still wind up needing the part you don't have on hand. A local dealer would make things a lot easier.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM
SumoRcNoob

Ok so i'll pass on buying the Hop up kit. I'll look into putting the aluminum rear uprights and front shock tower on like you advised. I do feel very lucky to have the Redcat dealer at the local hobby shop. They have been very helpful. Thanks again "Dads like RC too"
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Dads like rc too

No problem. Use that money you would have spent on the hop up kit and find you some decent wheels. It's only a matter of time before the stock ones split or crack. The wheels are really the only weak point on the buggy. The front shock tower being the second. It bends very easily. I wouldn't worry about replacing the rear uprights just yet "unless your having issues with them". The plastic ones aren't terrible and since you have a dealer close by, not that big a deal to get replacements for.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM
SumoRcNoob

what wheels would you suggest that are compatible with my S30?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Dads like rc too

what wheels would you suggest that are compatible with my S30?
I really hate recommending parts without part numbers. On my previous Tornado I had found some five spoke HPI 2.0 wheels that fit perfect. After recommending them to some on the forum, one of the members said they purchased them but they didn't fit. The best thing to do would be to take it to your local shop and see what fits good before purchasing.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
SumoRcNoob

alright fair enough. I went to my local hobby shop and discussed the wheels. Getting some ordered. Also contemplating dropping a Traxxas 3.3cc engine and header into my Tornado. Im told this will increase the top speed 30-40%. is this true?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Dads like rc too

alright fair enough. I went to my local hobby shop and discussed the wheels. Getting some ordered. Also contemplating dropping a Traxxas 3.3cc engine and header into my Tornado. Im told this will increase the top speed 30-40%. is this true?
Personally that would be more work than what it's worth. You can make anything go fast but the Tornado is a short wheelbase model, it rolls easily at higher speeds. The 3.3 can be made to fit, but it will take considerable work. So if you just like projects, go for it. Anything is worth doing if you get enjoyment out of it. I can spend hours with these things, some mods turn out to be worth it, some I realize we're just a waste of time. If you just like the challenge and want to shock everyone with your blazing fast Tornado, get to work. Keep us posted and get us some pics.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:18 AM
SumoRcNoob

hey guys i have a Tornado S30, i was wondering if anyone knows if these tires would fit on my car. ??
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ451852352