Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Avalanche XTE upgrade?

Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM
tcs77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avalanche XTE upgrade?

Hello, Wanted to update my motor and esc on my Avalanche XTE. I'm still happy with my stock parts but wanted to see what I could upgrade too. Need help with sensored or sensorless, KV, Turn, # of polls and gear ratio.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

Could I use anything below that would have good speed and torque?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Ez...item48552cc38a

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190835975065...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Xe...item19dcce8076
Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
86MOmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Avalanche XTE upgrade?

I wouldn't go over 2200kv.

I swapped in a castle system into his Avalanche and its Bad ASS!  HOWEVER!

It required some modification to the motor mount.  Since they use the smaller can diameter, you might need to find something of similar size.  IF you are feelind adventurous, you can order an additional stock motor mount.  Cut the "barrel" (heatsink)  off at the base.  It will require you to flip the mount backwards and screw it into the motor.  You just need to play with gearing.

Just remember, going too crazy can add stress to drivetrain and other parts.

MOmo

Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Avalanche XTE upgrade?

stock motor is 1755kv. So stick between the 1700 and 2000kv range. That will allow the stock gearing to work. Going to far from the stock KV rating will make gearing a guessing game. Also, a higher KV motor has less torque.

also, applying more power will equal more breakage.

I see many times people wanting to put 6s lipo power into their XTE or 8e models. Sure, it will be much faster...till it breaks. I like redcats, but they are what they are....and if you wanna run 6s lipo brushless systems in a 1/8 scale model then prepare to spend $500 on the truck in the 1st place in order to get one that was meant to handle the power. Truth is, even the 6s capable savage flux suffers from driveline issues when driven hard.

You can eek out a bit more power by running some good, 2s 5000mah (or higher) 40c+ lipo packs. That will help runtime as well as the punch off the line.

Adding cooling fan to the motor will help as well.

You could try to find a waterproof ESC/motor with the same ratings. waterproof is always a nice upgrade.

If I were to upgrade, Id use the stock motor but run a ezrun 150amp ESC. Its extra power handling ablility will mean it will run cooler than the stock one on 4s as well as last longer.