Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Addind water resistance to Caldera 10e

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Addind water resistance to Caldera 10e

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM
jcjrogers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Addind water resistance to Caldera 10e

One of the reasons I purchased my 10e was to test the idea to have RC ice racing at our ice rink (we didn't make it up; we got the idea off YouTube). I don't know that actual waterproofing will be necessary. The tires will likely kick up a little "snow", but the ice is very dry and hard so I don't anticipate a lot of moisture. That being said, I would like to take some precaution, and if we start some sort of program, we might offer a few cars to rent. We would want to have some sort of protection for these as well. Is there a way to add some water resistance without truly waterproofing... purchasing a new ESC, motor, etc.?
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Addind water resistance to Caldera 10e

ORIGINAL: jcjrogers

One of the reasons I purchased my 10e was to test the idea to have RC ice racing at our ice rink (we didn't make it up; we got the idea off YouTube). I don't know that actual waterproofing will be necessary. The tires will likely kick up a little ''snow'', but the ice is very dry and hard so I don't anticipate a lot of moisture. That being said, I would like to take some precaution, and if we start some sort of program, we might offer a few cars to rent. We would want to have some sort of protection for these as well. Is there a way to add some water resistance without truly waterproofing... purchasing a new ESC, motor, etc.?
2 main parts to worry about is the reciever and the ESC.
Reciever is easy, put it in a rubber ballon.

ESC is trickier as it requires some air for cooling.

In the summer this is very hard, as alot of air over the ESC is needed. In the winter however, you can get away with putting the ESC in a med sized plastic container.
It is also possible to waterproof the ESC, youtube videos show how. Caution is needed when doing this, you cannot get the liquid elect tape on the heat sink.

When I had my volcano epx pro out on the ice, I had a bar going between the 2 shock towers. I then put saran wrap around the chassis...going under it and then up over the bar. The bar gave an air pocket above the motor/esc/battery. As you saw in my video, the ice was very wet and my setup protected the electronics.

One other part, the motor. the area where the wires come out of the can/case is a possible opening for water to get into. Wrap a few peices of electrical tape around the wires and on the can to cover the whole. Some use some black silicone instead...which is permenant. I like the electrical tape incase I ever have to take the motor apart.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
jcjrogers

Thanks... I thought about using Saran Wrap.  I figured if I ran from tire well to tire well, going over the prongs that hold the body (I don't know all the part names, yet and am not looking at an exploded view), punched holes in the wrap such that the body mounted on the prongs would help stay in place, I would be pretty well protected from the sides and underneath.  This would also leave the front and rear open for airflow.  The temperature where the ESC sits will likely be just above freezing, while the tires will be sitting on around 23 Deg F.  I figured that as long as I have some airflow, I should be good since the temperature is so cold.  Putting a balloon around the receiver is a good idea, but do you lose any distance?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use CorrosionX to waterproof my ESC and receiver. Take them out of their case, dunk them, leave them on a towel to dry, then put them back in the case. See an example here.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 AM
jcjrogers

I watched the video and a lot of other Youtube in regards to waterproofing.  It is very interesting and seems pretty easy.  Of course, the $10, $20, or $200 question is, will you kill the component by trying to waterproof it.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jcjrogers

I watched the video and a lot of other Youtube in regards to waterproofing. It is very interesting and seems pretty easy. Of course, the $10, $20, or $200 question is, will you kill the component by trying to waterproof it.
there are only 2 ways to go wrong....
get too much of the waterproofing material on the heat sink...preventing it from removing enough heat and thus overheating the esc....
or not fully covering the board and thus water hits it and poof...burnt out esc.

Id go the rubber container route for your esc. cut holes for the wires and then silicone the hole/wires to prevent water/ice/snow from getting in. The container will be easy to hopen wih the lid and also keep enough cool air around the esc to prevent any overheating. This method also means you wont have to open up the ESC's case...which voids any warrenty on it.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
jcjrogers

I didn't see any videos for containers, but some referenced containers during the waterproofing video.  I'll see if I can find.  I might go with the baloon method for the receiver.  As I understand it, to waterproof you either have to plug the extra connections or waterproof over them pretty much rendering them useless.  However that is probably fine for a cheap receiver.  The baloon method is simple and probably relatively effective.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM
ScoopWOA

Hi, Ihave noticed all over the internet that no one in any forum, mentions that the Caldera 10e 35A hobbywing EZrun ESC ANDMOTOR are WATERPROOF in fact, some forums people actually say they are NOT. However, if you look at your manual that came with the Caldera (just got mine a month ago) -Not the truck manual but the ESC manual that tells you how to program your esc without a prgram card. On the FRONT, FIRSTparagraph, about the quality and guarantee of the ESC and MOTOR has a numbered (1-10) list and number 9 says WATERPROOF and DUSTPROOF. not resistant and not splash. you can throw your ESC/MOTOR in a swimming pool for a month, pull it out and use it. Straight up. Lifetime warranty too. Your receiver on the other hand is only splashproof and dustproof, the so called sealed bearings are a joke, as after running hard through some deep mud puddles, I hosed off my truck as usual (REMOVEBATTERYFIRST) and the next evening when Iwent to run my truck the wheels would not move. I took all the bearings out and soaked them in PB Blaster in order to free them up. I then went on ebay and ordered RUBBERSEALED bearings for the truck. sooooo.......New receiver, and new bearings = WATERPROOF truck. Yes this is the Caldera 10e. Just thought I'd lend some information. Everyone pull out your manuals and see for yourselves.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: ScoopWOA

Hi, I have noticed all over the internet that no one in any forum, mentions that the Caldera 10e 35A hobbywing EZrun ESC AND MOTOR are WATERPROOF in fact, some forums people actually say they are NOT. However, if you look at your manual that came with the Caldera (just got mine a month ago) -Not the truck manual but the ESC manual that tells you how to program your esc without a prgram card. On the FRONT, FIRST paragraph, about the quality and guarantee of the ESC and MOTOR has a numbered (1-10) list and number 9 says WATERPROOF and DUSTPROOF. not resistant and not splash. you can throw your ESC/MOTOR in a swimming pool for a month, pull it out and use it. Straight up. Lifetime warranty too. Your receiver on the other hand is only splashproof and dustproof, the so called sealed bearings are a joke, as after running hard through some deep mud puddles, I hosed off my truck as usual (REMOVE BATTERY FIRST) and the next evening when I went to run my truck the wheels would not move. I took all the bearings out and soaked them in PB Blaster in order to free them up. I then went on ebay and ordered RUBBER SEALED bearings for the truck. sooooo.......New receiver, and new bearings = WATERPROOF truck. Yes this is the Caldera 10e. Just thought I'd lend some information. Everyone pull out your manuals and see for yourselves.
You have to be careful as to what you read there.
A Redcat tech told me NONE of their esc's are waterproof. Splashproof maybe, but I would never try submersing the ESC or motor.
Problem with those manuals is that they cover many of the versions of ESCs, but not specifically the ones Redcat uses.
Many have noted that the redcat ezrun ESC's don't have the full range of programmable functions as listed in the manuals. This is because they are a lower cost version of the same esc listed in the manual.
I am not saying that the manual isn't correct, it is POSSIBLE that they are waterproof. But I wouldn't try it. And honestly, just looking at the construction I highly doubt that they are. Ive pulled apart some waterproof ESC's and it is clear that they coat the board in apoxy to waterproof. I don't see any of that in the caldera or epx pro ezrun ESC's.

Also, I can say 1st hand that the receiver is not at all "spashproof". They are in fact very easy to damage with just a couple small drops of water. The board is visible threw the plug ports. Only takes a drop of water there to short out the receiver. Sometimes you get lucky and once it dries out it will be fine, but that will only work a couple of times before the board shorts out completely.

and on bearings, no bearing is waterproof. some are better and will last longer, but even the best bearings (often found in boats) require greasing and WD40 or other rust preventatives to keep them working properly.

Short of it is, no rc is waterproof and running in any amount of water takes extra care and work. But it sure can be a lot of fun!