Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Is there anything that I don't need to Loctite?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Is there anything that I don't need to Loctite?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 AM
jcjrogers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything that I don't need to Loctite?

Regarding my Caldera 10e, is there anything that I don't need to Loctite? I've got some medium strength Threadlock and plan to go ahead and lock all of the screws. Obviously, I wouldn't add Threadlock to moving parts, but what about wheel nuts and other non-moving parts (other than screws).
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Is there anything that I don't need to Loctite?

ORIGINAL: jcjrogers

Regarding my Caldera 10e, is there anything that I don't need to Loctite? I've got some medium strength Threadlock and plan to go ahead and lock all of the screws. Obviously, I wouldn't add Threadlock to moving parts, but what about wheel nuts and other non-moving parts (other than screws).
you dont loctite parts that go into plastic. There may be loctite made for that, but normal loctite will damage the plastic.
Wheel nuts should have nylon inserts which prevent them from backing off. You will still need to check them from time to time. If you do use loctite on them, use the lowest strength one you can find.

The main issue on caldera's is the 2 screws that hold the steering hub to the "C" hub. Some go as far as to glue them in. Others upgrade to the alloy "C" hubs so that loctite can be used.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM
jcjrogers

Good info. After reading your response, I did a search and also found some occurrences of where Loctite had harmed some plastics, though it appears that it won't harm all plastics. The strange thing is, even the Redcat videos mention using Loctite and don't mention that it shouldn't be used on plastic (almost the entire car is plastic). The product I have is called "Threadlock", but I assume it is pretty much the same stuff as Loctite. I might contact Redcat support and see what they say.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM
jcjrogers

I talked to Redcat support, and they said not to use Loctite on their plastic (they need to edit their videos). Any thoughts on using Elmer's Glue for the screws going into plastic or even just an Elmer's Glue Stick. I found both of these in a drawer. I know that Elmer's is pretty weak and the glue stick has to be weaker. I'm not trying to form an impenetrable bond; I'm just trying to add a little adhesion to keep the screws from working out. Thoughts?