Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Shockwave VX16 engine temps

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:14 PM
sanjay416

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shockwave VX16 engine temps

I took apart the VX16 engine shortly after break-in to clean it and check it's condition. The connecting rod needed replacing, which I did, then put the engine back together. When I ran it today, (not finished tuning yet), I saw some varying temps on the cooling head. After a few hot laps, the temps in the glow plug hole and around 3 of the head bolts are around 175°F, but close to the other head bolt, the temp is around 215°F. Is it normal to have such a temp difference on the head?
I checked the head bolts and they were tight. Could it need a new head shim?
Hope someone can shed some light on this.
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did the rod need to be replaced just after break in? As rich as break in is, if you already needed a new rod, something is wrong with your engine. Take you temps around the glow plug, should be between 220 and 250 depending on how you like to run. Taking several temp readings will give you several temps. Even within seconds the temp will drop.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:53 PM
sanjay416

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have actually run about half gallon fuel through the engine. It was not run at rich break-in settings after the break-in. Did not have a temp gun at the time, so went by pinch test for LSN, and smoke trail and water drop on cooling head to set HSN. The rod was a bit elongated at the wrist pin, so I decided to change it.
I keep the engine on a high idle after running laps to take the temps (buggy on a stand). My temp gun shows continuous temps, so within 3 seconds I have the temps across the head. Like I said, the temp around the glow plug was 175°F, but I'm hesitant to lean it out any more, since the temp in one location is at 215°F.
Thanks for replying.