Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying 4 X 4 Roller

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Need help identifying 4 X 4 Roller

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Saxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying 4 X 4 Roller

Hello all,
My son recently acquired a new 4X4 roller that he wants to install his VXL system into. We were told it is a RedCat chassis but I can not find any identifying marks on it. I know it has Traxxas wheels and tires but I am not sure what else is stock or aftermarket parts. It has a blue aluminium plate that runs the length of the chassis. I would like to know what model this is so I can buy parts when needed. We have three 2wd Traxxas and Losi models but this is our first 4WD car. Does anyone have any tips when adding in the VXL system. The pinion gear from my sons 2wd Stampede does not seem to mess well so I assume at the very least a new pinion will be in order. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Saxy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	red1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	1909687   Click image for larger version

Name:	red2.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	1909688  
Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Saxy

I have done more Googling and I think this may be a Caldera. Are there sub models or anything I need to be aware of when ordering parts?

Thanks,
Saxy
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it is a caldera 10e
with stampede wheels

the pinion is a different pitch. The stock pinion gear size will work OK with the traxxas motor. The stock motor is 3750kv...the vxl motor is 3500kv. so it will run a bit slower with the stock gearing and vxl motor. I think the gear pitch is .08 mod.
Parts can be found on ebay, redcat's site, and a few online dealers.
there are similar models, the XB and the SC 10 E (buggy and sct truck) and all parts are the same except pinion gear, tires, body, body posts.

1 word of caution, the stock brushless system's esc has punch control. this is a good thing as the truck has no slipper clutch. If you install a vxl system and use a 2s or 3s lipo and have a "heavy throttle finger" this will result in damaged gears since the vxl speed control has no punch control. If your son has good throttle control, it wont be an issue. but if he is used to punching the throttle, then it will strip gears.
Using a ezrun 60amp speed control (or other with adjustable features like punch control) with the vxl motor will prevent that possible problem.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Saxy

Nitro,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and educate me. It looks like a correct pinion gear is only about $5 so I will probably pick that up and a new Pinion gear and be ready to roll. Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks,
Saxy