Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

caldera 10e 3s problems

i have the caldera 10e i put the hobby wing combo5 in it 4000kv motor 60amp esc and running sky lipo 4400/4000 40c 80 burst lipo.the problem it runs about a minute then shuts down.i got the low volt cut off at 3.2 it was 3.9 or5 i got 3s fan on the esc and got fan and heat sink on the motor. its like its going in to thermal shut down mode it shouldnt get that hot this quick should it.and noticed the green lite blinking on the esc when i ran it at nite.after shut down.any ideas would help thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Iam guessing the kv on the motor is to high and shuts down turn the esc back up on 2s and it rips no problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    do you have a temp gun?
    anytime you use a new motor or gearing combo it is a REALLY good idea to have a temp gun. using your hand to check temps is just guessing and can hurt.
    safe temp range on most motors is 160-180. for esc is 140ish. Im not sure what the temp shutdown temp is, but the higher kv motor may be causing it. Are you using a finned 380 motor or a true 540 motor? and is it the stock ESC or a higher 60amp ezrun esc?

The stock motor/esc on 3s is really pushing it and depending on outside temps and the surface you are running on can cause temp shutdown. A higher kv motor with the same gearing (and especially if it is a 380 motor) can cause things to heat up pretty quick.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    60 amp esc stock gears running on road or yard its not finned i put. A heat sink with fan on motor and a high voltage fan on esc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    No temp gun but it rips pretty good on 2s lipo no shut down

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    my guess is motor kv is to high. stock motor on stock gearing is geared almost to the max. even on 2s the stock setup can thermal shutdown if you run it long enough and in sand or grass.
    Id say gear down a couple of teeth on the pinion gear to compensate for your higher kv motor.
    still, a temp gun is the only way to know for sure how things are running.

on your 3s pack, do you run it in other models? Im just wondering if it has a bad cell which is causing the esc to LVC early.
    I haven't looked up the manuals in a while....but the ezrun manual (can be found threw google) will say what the blinking esc light means....whether it is low voltage or thermal shutdown.
    Last edited by nitrosportsandrunner; 10-06-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes i have a temp gun coming this week and waiting on servo to get in it went out..but the manual said green blinking is thermal shutdown.what gear can i go down to iam running the stock 13 and 51t spur gear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    id try going down 2 teeth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Do they have a pinion under 13t for the caldera?