Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Terremoto thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM
lifeismuddy
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terremoto thoughts

Whats everyones thoughts on the Terremoto? Mine is a no no. I feel its to big, from what I can tell those arms are going to be an issue and come on redcat running dual 2s lipos and just an 80 amp esc! I would prefer 1 single 4s and at least 100 amp esc if not 120. Looks like it replaced the avalanche which I feel was a failure in size speed and durability.
I wanna see an 1/8th running 6s or even 8s out of the box big esc big motor and be able to handle the abuse
Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading about it the other night on their site. Very disappointing that they covered it up in a blanket. So far, it seems their biggest selling point is its size. I believe they say something like "at almost two feet long its our biggest monster truck ever". This was not a word for word quote but close enough. After grabbing a tape measure, it seems my Monsoon would be very close in length and width. If they have taken the XTE lineup to the next level, it could be a very good addition to the Redcat lineup. I guess we'll find out soon.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 AM
lifeismuddy

I hear you, spend more time improving the current lines and get more aftermarket support instead of releasing new vehicles!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Dads like rc too

Originally Posted by lifeismuddy
I hear you, spend more time improving the current lines and get more aftermarket support instead of releasing new vehicles!
I agree, Redcat has all the price range bases covered already. My Monsoon XTR is a great truggy for the price, but could be a bit tougher. If it were just a bit more durable it could justify a retail price of around $375 which would still be well below anything its size by the other companies.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Dads like rc too

They took the blanket off the pic today. It looks pretty cool, but most likely a cheaper chassis setup. It's hard to tell, no body off pics. You can see the lack of sway bars from the XTR/XTE line up. A waterproof ESC has been added, that's an improvement everyone has been asking for. Dual steering servos. They've probably added some nice things while likely taking away some others to keep the price point. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks when it's released.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 AM
lifeismuddy

I saw it without blanket the other day but didnt see the dual servos, the long skinny arms caught my attention
Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These body-off URC pictures match what you can see on REdcat's site, and the couple of YouTube videos that have turned up.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im on the fence about this chassis.
It is nice looking.
I would prefer a single 4s battery setup....but many 1/8 scales are running duel battery setups. I could be wrong, but I think a pair of 2s lipos costs the company less than a single 4s pack would.

Duel servo steering can be a pain, but it should mean the steering will be strong enough for those big tires.

I certainly looks bigger than the 8e. not sure how much bigger it may be than the avalanche xte.

Price....it is more than I would like....but compare to a thunder tiger mt4 or hpi savage flux and it is cheap. the thunder tiger is $100 more and the flux about also about $100 (but without lipos)

The chassis doesn't look much heavier than the 8e or xte. so I don't think the 80a system will have much issue powering this truck. Sure, it wont run as fast as a flux but you get what you pay for. if you want 60mph then you gotta pony up more money.

The real question, which only time will tell, is how good will the durability be? If it ends up being tough, then the price tag and the performance will be worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	terremoto-back-3qrtr-body-on.jpg
Views:	3803
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1933697   Click image for larger version

Name:	terremoto-front-body-on.jpg
Views:	3647
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1933698   Click image for larger version

Name:	terremoto-rear-body-on.jpg
Views:	3153
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1933699   Click image for larger version

Name:	terremoto-side-body-on.jpg
Views:	4137
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1933700   Click image for larger version

Name:	terremoto-top-body-on.jpg
Views:	3096
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1933701  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the arms may look thin, but remember that those tires are 6 or 6.5'' tall.
IMO, the layout looks cleaner than the savage flux, TT mgt4 or the team associated rival.
Again, it appears the same size as all those other brushless 1/8 MT trucks, but at $100-$200 less.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Dads like rc too

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
the arms may look thin, but remember that those tires are 6 or 6.5'' tall.
IMO, the layout looks cleaner than the savage flux, TT mgt4 or the team associated rival.
Again, it appears the same size as all those other brushless 1/8 MT trucks, but at $100-$200 less.
Honestly I can't imagine it being more durable than the XTE line by those pics. Yes the dual steering servos are a nice Traxxas touch but unless the rest of it is made up of some new magic materials I wouldn't count on it offering too much more. You know I'm a strong supporter of Redcat but I'm really at the point where I need to move on. My kids trucks have been great, but my Monsoon XTR has been very disappointing lately. Even the lightest hits are causing moderate damage. I love tinkering on my cars but lately it seems like thats all I'm doing.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 PM
kelynsdad1023

So does anyone have one yet ?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I found a owner's video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uph3RE7WCUc

and ali has a video now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c-W15Rz7i4

kinda looks as tho it handles like a earthquake 8e....just with more ground clearance and waterproof electronics.

I still wish they had put some thick oil in that center diff. You can tell a lot of that power gets wasted going to the front wheels. That can make a wheel more likely to come un-glued as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 PM
charliebill

I purchased a Terremoto and i really like this truck! I haven't had any issues at all. The biggest problem im working on is the Diffs are not tuned at all and yes all the power goes to the front. I just had a question that for some reason i cant find the answer to... I'm relatively new to the lipo world and this truck... If someone could help that would be great. The stock batteries are 7.4 2c lipo batteries. In the specs it says you are able to use 3s and 4s batteries. With the 80amp ESC, does it still need to be 7.4V? If so can someone tell me where to find them lol. I cant! I love the truck but i am in the process of tuning the Diffs and i want to upgrade the batteries but dont want to destroy the truck. THANKS!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by charliebill
I purchased a Terremoto and i really like this truck! I haven't had any issues at all. The biggest problem im working on is the Diffs are not tuned at all and yes all the power goes to the front. I just had a question that for some reason i cant find the answer to... I'm relatively new to the lipo world and this truck... If someone could help that would be great. The stock batteries are 7.4 2c lipo batteries. In the specs it says you are able to use 3s and 4s batteries. With the 80amp ESC, does it still need to be 7.4V? If so can someone tell me where to find them lol. I cant! I love the truck but i am in the process of tuning the Diffs and i want to upgrade the batteries but dont want to destroy the truck. THANKS!
The stock ESC's battery plug wires the 2 batteries in series....so your two 2s 7.4v lipos total 14.8v at the ESC. (4s)
You can run a single 3s 11.1v lipo pack by making a jumper to go on the other plug.
Or you can runs a single 4s the same way...tho a 4s lipo is not likely to fit in the stock battery holders.

The best bet is to buy a pair of 2s 7.4v lipos. I think the stock packs are 20c, 3600mah. "C" is the discharge amount. MAH is the capacity (and thus runtime)
Hobbypartz.com has some good lipos are good prices. I like their skylipo and gens ace brand packs. Look for packs that are 7.4v, 30c, 5000mah. Such a pack will add some runtime and a tad bit more power as well.

Note: lipos come in 2 main forms, soft case and hard case. Your stock packs are hardcase. As the name implies, the case is hard which protects the cells inside incase of a nasty crash or the packs flying out of the truck cause you forgot to secure them. Most common 5000mah hardcased packs are only a tad thicker than your stock packs and should fit.
Note to the way in which the wires exit the pack. some have the wires out of the end, others on the side. I believe your stock packs they com out the side/top. So it would be best to buy packs that have that same style of wiring.
Most of the packs on hobbypartz already have the same type of battery plug your truck uses, so you should be all set there.
Hopefully that answers your question.
Glad to hear you like the truck. I used to be a redcat dealer and generally like what they bring to the table in terms of affordable entry level rigs. Get some 300,000 diff oil and put that in the center diff...that should likely cure the symptom of all the power going to the front wheels.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM
charliebill

Great info! Thanks! So no way to use two 3s batteries... ? thats not great. should have gone with the HPI Flux.. haha.
just curious, would the 300,000 almost lock the center diff or just allow the front and rear to be more stable and send the same or equal amount of torque to them? Sorry just trying to make sure i have it so i dont have to do it three times. What about adding 7,000 to the rear and 10,000 to the front? Thanks again!!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

you can run a Single 3s by using a jumper....but Im not sure if a 3s will fit in the battery box.
By jumper, I mean using a female battery plug that has 1 wire soldered to both posts....that way you don't have to remove the stock series wire that is on the ESC.
But running a pair of 3s packs in series would equal 6s at the ESC, which would fry it. You can of course buy a hobbywing 150amp ESC/motor and run 6s...but that would be too much power IMO. Even the super tough HPI savage on 6s tends to shred gears and break parts!

I cant say for sure what will Lock the center diff, but I know a guy who runs 500,000 oil in the center diff of his ofna and that is like 90% locked. I know 100,000 is not that much....maybe 200 or 250K would work best.
Not sure on what to use for the front/rear diffs....but anything would likely be better than stock. Maybe try 200k in the center and 10k front and rear? Id keep the front rear balanced for now.
Also, did you buy a hobbywing program card for the ESC? I know on the earthquake 8e the stock brake and punch control settings were to aggressive for my taste. tapping the brakes in the are could make it do a forward flip! I use the program box as it is much easier than doing it via the radio. Setting the brakes and punch control softer will also lesson the stress on driveline parts.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 PM
charliebill

Wow yeah great info! I doubt I will go crazy with the ESC for now. It's fast enough for me. I haven't tried the card but I think I might. Funny but after watching the videos about the 8E and others I was really down to the terremoto or the HPI. Then it was the costs. So Redcat won. The Terremoto is less aggressive and easier to control than the 8E but it will do flips if you hit the brakes to fast or hard. I ran the crap out of it in the rain and through puddles the other day and it worked great! (Video on you tube ) the only issue is the freaking runs have holes in them and suck water like crazy. I will probably go with 10 front and rear and 250 center because I want to keep the wheels on the ground. The damn front tires get all the power now and ballon like crazy so it looses power to much IMO.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM
shadowface

I just wanted to make a little note about the new Red Cat terremoto it is a big piece of crap.!!!! I purchased one for my sons for Christmas this past year and it broke within 5 days.!!!! Redcat Racing has refused to fix the truck and refuses to give me the parts to fix the truck. Redcat Racing says that it will be four to five weeks before parts will be available to fix the truck.!!!!! I contacted the district manager regional manager of this area also contacted Redcat racing on this problem even though they have 5 trucks new in the store where I purchased the truck they will not replace the parts that are broken, I even offered to pay for the parts and labor. This is a very big disappointment when you give $429 for an item. Please be cautious when buying this item from redcat racing for they will not help in any way when it comes to the product. Thanks and I hope this comes helpful. I did finally find the parts in Canada and purchased online. These were the last parts that I needed in the world as far as I can tell, redcat racing would not even try and find the parts that I needed. really a big disappointment when it comes Redcat Racing wished now I had a Traxxas!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 AM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What parts did you break? Was it the ESC or servo or motor or something that should last - or was it another part like the hubs/a-arms/shock-mounts that are consumables? Hopefully parts support will improve as more Redcat dealers have time to stock them.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 AM
lifeismuddy

What parts, I find it hard to believe redcat would not cover them! Their customer service is hands down 1 of the best I have dealt with. They have even gone so far as to pull a part from a full vehicle in the past just to keep my customer happy.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 AM
shadowface

I guess it was just disappointing that it broke in 5 days and then redcats only thing they could say was it was not a toy and it was not suitable for my son at his age. Little do they know he's probably better than most of them. I do not let my son go out by myself without an adult supervision with the truck. I understand the truck can be dangerous in the hands of a small child. But the truck is a toy that is for children and or adults. Otherwise what is the definition of a toy.? I just thought Redcat yet handle this a little immature. So I just wanted to give my thoughts.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 AM
shadowface

as far as the last comment was made to me I was surprised the rake at did not pull apart from one of the 5 trucks they had in stock at the local dealer where I purchased this. That was the most disappointing part about the whole deal in the way they treated me with about it. To tell me that it was not a toy just blew my mind. I hope in the future Redcat Racing and I can better help each other because I plan to buy another RC car or truck in the near future. But right now I'm kinda undecided on whether or not to buy Redcat or Traxxas because of this issue. What do you guys think I should do as far as buying a new truck Redcat or Traxxas? I'm not trying to bash redcat racing i just thought they should handle it differently.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 AM
lifeismuddy

I agree about how it was handled but let me let you in on a secret, I had a customer in last year at this time who purchased a 1/16 revo at another store, it broke the first run, the dealer or traxxas would not help him with parts. So altho it sounds like I am sticking up for redcat I am not just saying its all vehicles/manufactures in this hobby.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:01 AM
lifeismuddy

As a redcat dealer I agree with you the dealer should have helped you out, I have already tore done vehicles for parts even knowing the parts or broken vehicle was the customers fault. Its called customer service. At least now you know not to deal with that same shop again
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 AM
lifeismuddy

A have a tremor in my store at the moment thats in pieces after the customer came in saying it only lasted 3 days good service I replaced it with another vehicle knowing that the damage was not from driving it on the way out the door I heard the guys wife say now hopefully she doesnt drop this one down the steps. Very discouraging yes but they come back now and send others in so it was worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.