Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Terremoto thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 AM
shadowface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I hear what you saying and like I said I'm not trying to bash Redcat Racing I am just undecided on where to go from here. purchased the trucks they told me that it was the most indestructible truck on the market. I guess I just took it a little too literally. We did not do anything crazy with the truck we did jump the truck we did turn the truck over but we didn't abuse the truck. I mean I did like the way the truck drove and handled I thought it was really fast out of the box but just like I said, I was just a little disappointed in the way they treated me and my sons.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:13 AM
shadowface

hey you never know I may just buy em from you. Hope to find someone or shop I can trust and buy another truck or car pretty soon so that we can have more than one to race each other. Sounds like you no how to treat a customer. Thanks for your help as far as your advice on the next truck, kinda surprised to hear about the revo breaking that soon as well.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 AM
shadowface

hey it sounds like you know how to treat your customers. Do you do a lot of shipping to Va or other areas ?

Last edited by shadowface; 01-10-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 AM
shadowface

sounds like I just need to buy from you
Old 01-10-2014, 07:32 AM
shadowface

I cant tell if these are posting
Old 01-10-2014, 07:35 AM
lifeismuddy
My Feedback: (17)

Im assuming the dealer told you that? I personally have not ordered 1 of these in I do not like the thought of dual 2s batteries and the design of this truck it looks like it would be difficult to go to a single 4s. As far as redcat being anywhere near indestructable I would not stand behind that statement 1 bit that truck is 2 big to be indestructable. I have seen a few bashing vids and it seamed to hold up well. I am not sure where you are located but im sure you are aware cold plays hell on any plastic.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
lifeismuddy

I have shipped in the past but I do not like doing business that way, I would prefer to be face to face when a customer has a question or problem. I am sure if you cannot find a good shop in the area I could help you out but I prefer you at least look around local first.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 AM
shadowface

like I was saying I don't want to bash Redcat racing.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 AM
shadowface

hey I respect what you are saying and I wish you where located around here
do you know of any good shops in the Winston Salem NC area or Danville VA area ??
Old 01-10-2014, 07:59 AM
lifeismuddy

I do not maybe ask around on here. Can I ask what broke tho because I am still cannot believe rc would not help you
Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truth be told, 90% of redcat's bad rep does come from bad dealers. At least that's how I see it.
No matter the brand, if I owned a hobby shop and new a customer had just bought a truck from me and needed a part that I didn't have on the shelf, I would be willing to take said part off another truck to sell to them.
If you, as a hobby shop, cannot supply the parts people need to keep their RC's going.....then you are not doing your job and wont keep a good customer base, which in the end will result in your store failing. It is that simple. Take a $5 loss to keep a customer!

The fact that you couldn't find the parts elsewhere is largely due to the fact that it is a new model. The models that have been out for some time are very easy to get parts for.
The same thing happened to me last year with the mirage. I broke the suspension arms and redcat was out of stock....and I couldn't find them on ebay. I finally found 1 online dealer that had some.
But now, its very easy to find mirage parts.
Redcat's dealer base is decent, but simply not on par with big names like HPI and traxxas, Losi ect. So, when new models come out it can be the case that parts are difficult to find at 1st. Same can be said of the models themselves, as redcat often runs out of stock on new models. They can only guess how many will sell in the 1st few months. If demand is higher, they run out.

My thinking on redcat, as a previous dealer and someone who has run nearly all of their electric models is this:
sometimes the quality is a bit shy of the big brand models.
Sometimes parts are hard to find.
Customer service is generally good....tho it seems this can depend on who answers the phone.
Many of their manuals lack information.
Those be the downsides. On the upside...Price 1st of all. A 4wd brushless redcat costs the same as a brushed 2wd traxxas!
2nd, its great fun to beat your friends $600 emaxx with your $300 earthquake 8e. Or to leave your buddy's $250 brushed slash in the dust with your $200 brushless volcano. Also, showing off what a lightly modded $150 rs10 crawler can do is a blast.
3rd, I like modding, upgrading, customizing. Ive found that many of the quality issues on redcat models can be fixed fairly easy. The 8e models have diff issues, fixed by shimming them. The epx pro models need "O" rings added to the diff output cups, as well as the camber and steering links moved to the holes closest to the hubs (greatly reduces chance of hub arm breaking) and the shocks on the tornado should be moved inboard, which makes the tower far less likely to bend. This is simple stuff.

I have owned traxxas, HPI, losi, duratrax, exceed, Tamiya ect. Ive put as much work into other brand's models as I have any redcat. I have never bought a redcat and then felt like I wasted my money. I have had one or 2 big name models that felt like a waste (HPI E10!)

A rule of rc to understand....NO matter how much your model cost....or who made it....it will break. You will have to buy replacement parts, some part will need upgrading and at some point you will need to rebuild the whole darn thing. If you don't like working on an RC, then RC isn't for you. I bash my stuff hard, so I spend as much time working on them as I do running them (well maybe not that much but you get the point)

Lastly....What part on the Terremoto broke!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 AM
shadowface

All it was is an axle and a gear slipping on the motor or clutch. That's it . I was willing to pay for it after they said it was covered in the warranty. And another thing that bothered me was I dropped it off at the RC shop where I bought on a Thursday and finally I had to call them on the following Tuesday to find out all of this. They did not even make an effort to call to let me know anything. So I don't want everyone thinking I am a jerk or something that's just out to cause harm.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:47 AM
shadowface

But really to some this up, I guess ill find another dealer and then decide on what to buy next. Truth be told I have got to recover from XMAS $$$ so I can purchase another truck or buggy. LOLS. No I don't mind working on them in fact I like to work on things, so its not a big deal as far as to work on one and to modify one. Kinda was hoping they had some bigger axles so I could start modifying it.
So what would you recommend buying as far as the next truck or car I get??
Old 01-10-2014, 08:58 AM
lifeismuddy

I dont think your being a jerk! I know they dont cover gears which is dumb at least give a lil.warranty on gears but their choice as a dealer I woulda covered but I guess thats what makes certain shops better than others. As far as I am concerned the caldera is the best vehicle redcat offers I have yet had any come back for issues other than a bad crash that mite need an arm or something. Its just a good size n design in my book.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowface
But really to some this up, I guess ill find another dealer and then decide on what to buy next. Truth be told I have got to recover from XMAS $$$ so I can purchase another truck or buggy. LOLS. No I don't mind working on them in fact I like to work on things, so its not a big deal as far as to work on one and to modify one. Kinda was hoping they had some bigger axles so I could start modifying it.
So what would you recommend buying as far as the next truck or car I get??
Uh Uh, the classic...."you should have bought a traxxas" Line. Far to many new redcat owners hear that crap. There is some truth to it I think, when it comes to nitros. Im not a huge fan of redcat's 1/10 nitros. But when it comes to their brushless stuff I think you get good value for the money. Ive owned as many traxxas as redcat electric models, and had to repair both brands and equal amount.

When it comes to big, powerful monster trucks, there are really not any that are as tough as they claim. The expensive HPI savage flux on 4s lipo is ok, but on 6s is blows its diffs apart. Upgrade diffs are out there...for another $100.
The emaxx got a brushless upgrade, but still has weak bulkheads and plastic driveshafts.
The Thunder Tiger MT4 is one to look at. From what I have read/seen it only has one major weak point, the shock towers....and guys have already come up with mods to help that. It is also one of the more reasonable priced MTs.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM
shadowface

yeah you probably right , but I am new to this again. but I really didn't do my homework like I should have. So ill know next time. Thanks for all the help
Old 02-02-2014, 06:11 AM
charliebill

Originally Posted by shadowface
yeah you probably right , but I am new to this again. but I really didn't do my homework like I should have. So ill know next time. Thanks for all the help
Im sorry shadowface but you cant blame RedCat for the poor dealers and improperly driving the truck. I actually own multiple redcat trucks and was one of the first people to purchase the Terremoto. I have ran twenty pacs through this truck and i have only broken one part( it was my fault ) and the issue that i had with this truck was completely covered by RedCat, a bad battery pack. After the Center diff was locked the truck is one of the best i have owned. People love to bash every other brand but the big boys but i owned the others and while some have very distinct differences, EVERY THING BREAKS!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 AM
D-Rock1983

Where are you located?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 AM
billyg900

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody have the size specs of the stock batteries?

I was looking at these but not sure if they will fit
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl5000...-hardcase.html
Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get 2 2s lipos, 5000mah shoukd be fine and give longer run time.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:31 PM
charliebill

Just an update on my Terremoto. I installed the Ofna 17MM offsets on the wheels to eliminate the front wheel rub. Wow its great no rub and turns great! Looks a little tougher too. I would recommend the 8mm ones due to the screw in set pins but my local guy had a set if the 17s that were cheap so I just used cotter pins and it works perfect! I also perminantly locked the center diff with high temp gasket sealer. What a difference that makes! I tried diff locking oil and clay buy the are crappy. The sealer is perfect! I posted a short video on you tube so if you want to see check it out. Not sure if I can post a link here but its under redcat Terremoto custom. I added a wing and some braces , used rubber paint to cover the red, painted some parts orange and made my own metal body mounts cause the plastic ones break.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 PM
utah300rum

I have my Terremoto for a couple weeks now, I come from a RC racing back ground of 1/8 Buggies Truggies Shortcourse etc as well as onroad racing 1/10 sedan, 1/8 nitro GT pan cars etc. So when I tore it down to put in new diff oil and loctite all the screws it seemed a little "toy like" verses the 1/8th race vehicles I am used to, For example the center diff assembly was a huge block of plastic and the suspension has limited adjustment etc.....but I can see they are targeting newer RC racers and bashers where simplicity can be appreciated. The motor plate has no gear mesh adjustment so any motor changes may require modding the plate, but over all I like the trucks lay out and everything seems well built and very simple which can be a plus.

I am not planning any mods or upgrades really just going to leave stock and keep it at my in-laws house so when I go out to visit my kids and I have a truck to mess around with. After running it several times I am beginning to like the truck more....I have a Savage X and a 1/10 Summit now and I have owned several others over the years and so far the Terremoto has taken some good abuse without any issues. I have not had any "Big Air" sessions yet mainly just running around on hills etc and a few jumps maybe 3-4 feet high but they all had good landing areas with some slope, so no hard flat landings.

Overall I am pleased with my Terremoto, I have read about some issue on other forums and it seems they are being addressed and so far the Redcat rep has been involved in many of the discussions and has shown great customer service.

This my first Redcat and honestly I have been avoiding them just because of the off brand stigma that usually seems to be pushed by many RC enthusiasts and serious racers. I have had every brand of vehicle I own break, all the usual name brands HPI, Traxxas, Losi etc etc etc...... many of which people described as near bullet proof. Every brand has some models that end up sub par...from poor handling, fragile design, poor reliability or just a pain to work on especially entry level or more budget friendly models...so if you are hesitating on buying a Terreoto, I wouldnt, I do recommend supporting your local hobby shops verses online but if you dont have a LHS I would go for this truck online Only one LHS in my area has started to carry Redcat products so all the other shops say avoid them like the plague they are all junk...... which I dont see as a fair evaluation on this particular model........ no its not a perfect indestructible monster truck and you may have to go online for parts support which can be frustrating if you dont have a lot of experience with RC's....but that area is improving as Redcat parts seem to be becoming available on more websites..... the price is right and the performance is pretty dang good with just a few things.... heavier diff & shock oil and some toe & camber adjustment etc.

Sorry for the long winded post but I thought I would give my 2 cents on it.....would I even try to compare it to a $800+ dollar race Truggy in design and quality?...NO.... that is not a fair comparison....as a $350 RTR Monster truck its hard to beat, not many in that price range that would be substantially better IMHO....if you have $600 plus to spend then I would probably look at something else.

If you have been around a while and don't mind a little work this is a good option for an inexpensive Monster Truck....if you are brand new to the hobby I would recommend visiting your local hobby shop and get something there since you will likely need a little help sooner or later.

Last edited by utah300rum; 06-10-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 AM
devast8r

Hey guys just bought a terremoto. So far it's been great. Anyone Had any better luck out of there's?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 PM
devast8r

Well just found my first flaws in the truck. Front cvas bent from a 4 foot jump. I straightened them back out the jumped again and the truck stopped going. Sounded like a stripped gear so I tore it all down and to my surprise the gears are all fine. But the pin in the front drive shaft is gone. So I'm wondering does anyone know of any drive shafts, cvas, and diffs I can substitute these with?