Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano EPX won't steer or move

Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
himie1969

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano EPX won't steer or move

Hi' new here and I just purchased two volcano EPX's about two months ago. My truck turns on but won't steer or move. The light that that comes on when you use your radio stays on all the time. I live in Ontario Canada and play in the snow with it and was wondering if maybe I fried my ESC. I put new batteries in the transmitter and have a fully charged battery in the truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-25-2013, 01:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with snow, it is more likely that the radio's receiver fried. More often than not, a fried ESC will not turn on.

When you turn the truck on, do you hear the steering servo twitch?

If the problem was just not moving, then Id suspect the ESC, but since you have neither steering or moving, the receiver is most likely. They are easy to get fried, as the openings for the plugs are large and water gets in easy and hits the board.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:37 PM
himie1969

When I turn it on the steering and motor twitch, but the light in the receiver still flashes to, but if the receiver board is fried I,m guessing it still comes on because it has power going into it and just not coming back out of it, right.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the twitch means the servo and motor get a touch of power. But since neither work, this most likely means they are not getting any signal from the receiver. I have had receivers light up but not function.

does your truck have the 2.4ghz radio, or the FM one? If it is the 2.4ghz radio, I would try re-binding the receiver to the radio. If the receiver did get wet, this wont help anything, but sometimes these receivers can glitch and need to be re-binded to the radio.

The receiver can be fried, but still have the BEC circuit working (the BEC takes power from the ESC to operate the receiver and power the steering servo)

It is possible to have a bad ESC prevent steering from working....but it is highly unlikely. Its much more likely that the receiver is either unbound, or fried.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:48 PM
himie1969

Ok, I have the 2.4 ghz. Now how do I go about re-binding it. Thanks
Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by himie1969
Ok, I have the 2.4 ghz. Now how do I go about re-binding it. Thanks
there is a small black plug that came with your radio. You plug this into the "bind" port (it says where on the it) on the receiver. Then, turn on the truck 1st (the LED on the receiver should blink very fast).....with the truck on, turn on the radio WHILE holding down the button that is between the throttle and steering trim nobs (the button is reassessed).....the LED on the receiver should go solid.
Now, turn off the truck....then the radio. Remove the bind plug and turn the radio on, then the truck and they should be bound.

You can search youtube as there are videos showing this process as well. Just look for redcat or flysky binding.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:39 AM
himie1969

Ok, that didn't work so that means my receiver is fried right. Thanks for all your help I'll know for next time
Old 12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

do you have a radio/receiver from another rc to try?
If you do, it is best to check, tho it is 95% likely that the receiver got wet and kicked the bucket.
For future reference, anytime you wanna drive in snow or mud/water and your receiver isn't waterproof, put it in a balloon and ziptie the end where the wire comes out.
I noticed that many of the Redcat models are going waterproof gear tho.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 PM
himie1969

I have my son's truck exact same I'll take his off and try it on mine. It does have the waterproof stickers on it.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

cool, if you try the other radio and it works, then you know for sure the issue is the radio system. If it still does not work, then it has to be the ESC. There are some rare times when a bad ESC will screw up the receiver, so you wont have steering function either.

I didn't realize you had the waterproof version. If you do, you should fill out redcat's warrenty form. I know their detailed description of the waterproof stuff says you cant submerse the electronics in water, but Snow certain shouldn't have hurt anything. They should replace the item, especially if it isn't that old of a truck.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 AM
himie1969

I tried the radio and receiver off the other truck and everything works fine
I just got these trucks on november 10 and I bought them brand new
Thanks for all your help
Old 01-02-2014, 05:18 AM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One trick with these receivers, I have little luck with the balloons, but if you fill the sockets on the receiver with dielectric grease, you'll keep water and dirt out. I've had receivers last 4 or 5 times as long by using the grease or even vasoline to keep water and dust out. Here in Montana our dust conducts electricity so when enough gets it, it acts like water and fries things. Use a "Waterproof" (they should say resistant but I'm picking nits) ESC, and take some lexal or plastic dip and seal your servo seams. Put a small o-ring on the output shaft of your servo and you'll be more water tight then a Traxxas and only spend about $10 doing it.

The RX on the FlySky radios are small and cheap, a little pre-care will keep it working, and worst, your gonna pay less then $20 to replace it. If you don't live close to someone that carries them, keep a spare around, they are a cheap spare part to keep hold of.