Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado s30 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question tornado s30 tranny

I got a new tranny bcuz it wouldnt shift back to 1st and i blew a oneway bearing some how.
But now my new tranny wont shift. How do i got about tuning the tranny to make it shift to 2nd about 5-8 seconds into full trottle
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1st, make sure your motor is tuned right. If the motor doesn't spin fast enough, the trans wont shift even if it is set right.

But if the trans does need adjustment, there should be a small hole in the case....in that hole is a small hex set screw. I cant recall which direction, but turning it one way or the other adjusts the speed at which the trans should shift. Caution....make SMALL adjustments.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:49 PM
zackS30

Ok. My engine is tuned the best ive ever had it lol. I suck at tuning im always too rich.
My car will go down the street screaming at high rpm but refuses to shift, when i went out to tine the tranny i relized i forgot my hex driver so that was a bust. Ill try tomorrow though.
How small should adjustments be? Like haalf turns or 8th like when tuning the hsn/lsn.?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try 1/4 turns.
I will admit I have only tuned 2 speed trans a couple of times...but it is just 1 screw. Like engine tuning, patience is key. don't rush it and try to make big adjustments.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 PM
zackS30

Ok. I saw 2 screws on my old trans and got scared lol but after looking more one screw is just to hold it in place i guess and the other moved out this little piece of metal that caught on a gear to make it spin.
I would guess turming it clockwise would make it shift sooner? Ill try tomorrow and try not to mess it up ha.
Patience isnt a virtue i carry often.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 AM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zach, your right, there are two. One is straight in, the other is angled. You want the angled one. Turn in to raise the shift speed, and out to lower. Do this in about 1 hour turns (as if the screw was a clock). The smaller the adjustment, the more likely you are to hit the sweet spot. You want it to shift just before max rpms as it will lug if it shifts too low.

I wouldn't worry about your tuning, as long as your lean enough to get up to speed and everything is shifting proper. you're liable to be better off Rich than lean.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 PM
zackS30

Ive since tried tuning the trans but it still doesnt seem to want to shift
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zack, make sure there are no loose drive cups or other factors. The 2-speed when set up right will not shift if the tune is way off or if there are problems getting the tranny spun all the way up. Also, if you have dirt in the transmission or a ton of grease, clean it up. Because it works off of centrifugal force, it has to get to speed or no shifting will happen. If you tear into the tranny, make sure the shift pawl swings freely and that there isn't anything binding. This is one of the aggravating parts of this hobby. Stick with it, you'll find the issue.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 PM
zackS30

I still havent got it. I managed to blow the gears in my steering servo so its out for now..