Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Changing pinion and spur gear in a Hurricane XTE

Ive done this with my old DuraTrax Evader 9 years ago and it was easy considering it was a rear mounted motor that can slide further or closer to the spur for gear changing.

I am new to red cats and Im going to be picking up my Hurricane tomorrow and I want to gear the thing for higher top speed.

I know I need to get a bigger pinion and smaller spur. What I want to know is, is with the different sized gears, am I able to adjust the motor to accommodate the different sizes? Since the gears will be different I will have to slide the motor closer or further? If so, how do I do this. Since I have not yet worked on a red cat I dont know how easy this is to accomplish.

Also, if anyone can point me to a video on this to get a better picture, that would be ideal.

Thanks,
    Rae

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Very easy to do, the motor is mounted in slots. It just slides back and forth. Even tho it's electric, your going to want to use a VERY SMALL amount of BLUE loctite on the motor screwed. This will keep it from re-adjusting itself. Also remember top speed isn't necessarily the fast way around the track. If you gear up, remember to keep an eye on your motor temps. Any brushless will overheat the motor if over geared. It'll be fast until you de-magnetize your rotor, then you'll have a highs priced paperweight.

I figure its top speed is around 40 stock. I would like to get it up to around 50 tops, I cant imagine it would be too much of a strain on the motor considering If I bump the batteries to 5000mAh right?

I kinda figured thats why they used a 1755kvm motor because it is a pro line and greater upgrading potential. I could be wrong though.

Also is there a pic or video showing how the motor slides back and forth? Just want to have it worked out in my head before tearing it down.

Quick side note, I wont be racing this. Its purely recreational at a nearby park and a few dirt fields nearby. Can't even really say id do bashing in it. Just wanted something that wont break every time i turn it on and im willing to fork out the cash for the pleasure. =)
    Last edited by Raeodor; 01-06-2014 at 01:57 AM.