Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FWD only on Volcano S40

So I was ripping around in the semi snow/ice the other day and I was doing well - then, yesterday I went to drive the truck around and realized it was pretty slow from a stop on the street. Then I went in the snow/ice again and realized I only have FWD. I looked at the truck quickly and the front and rear driveshaft are present, but the rear input to the diff isn't connected. Meaning, I can rotate the rear wheels and see the input move separate of the driveshaft. It almost looks like the part the driveshaft connects to is broken. It's still there, but not hooked to anything as the shaft and wheels move separate of one another. Do I need a new diff? Or, maybe the driveshaft cup?

Thanks,
    Jon

oops: title should say S30, not S40 doh
    Last edited by JonKBMW; 02-10-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Are you talking about the drive cup for the center drive shaft? If so it could be as simple as the set screw falling out. You could just install a new set screw with loctite and that should fix your problem. Just make sure the set screw is tightened down on the flat spot of the pinion shaft so it doesn't slip. if you have more questions you could give us a call (602)454-6445

This happened to me last week in the snow. It ended up being the set screw. Ran up to ace got a M3 or maybe M4 grub screw and got it back up in 5 minutes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeRider93 View Post
    This happened to me last week in the snow. It ended up being the set screw. Ran up to ace got a M3 or maybe M4 grub screw and got it back up in 5 minutes.
    Yep - this was it. My grub screws were still in there, just needed to be tightened up and loctited.