Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Still having wheel problems on my Tornado. Need some help.

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Still having wheel problems on my Tornado. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:10 AM
ninnimuggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having wheel problems on my Tornado. Need some help.

Ok. I am in need of road tires for my Tornado EPX Pro. There are tons out there. I am reluctant to buy because I am not sure what dimensions to go with. I have the measurements for the stock knobbies but cant find road tires that are the exact dimensions. My question is really what harm will it do running a tire that is larger/smaller on it. Most descriptions do not list the offset which could be a problem too not fitting on the axle. The offset is the only measurement I do not have. If the stock tire has an outer diameter of 80mm would running a 65mm cause damage to the motor. The rears are 40mm wide and the fronts are 30mm. What about running a thinner tire? Would it cause damage? As long as the tires are 12mm hex and the offset is right, would any size work? I am also wondering what is the offset that I need to match?

What is everyone else running when they have their Tornado on the pavement. Links/photos would be a HUGE help. Wont you please help me stop melting my poor knobbies on the street.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Redcat James

The easiest thing to do would be to use the stock wheels and order some new tires from www.prolineracing.com , you will have to glue them on but they have alot of options.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:28 PM
ninnimuggins

So just get another set of stock rims and order the Proline tires that match the dimensions?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Redcat James

That's my recommendations, I don't know of a front wheel for a 4wd the has a 12mm hex. I know the Kyosho, Associated and Losi 4wd have a 12mm hex size for the rear but not in the front.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:25 PM
ninnimuggins

They are all 12mm hex. The only thing different from front to back is the width. The rears are about 40mm wide and the fronts are about 30mm. I got some Proline tires that will work. Now the hunt is on to find the rims. Gonna go with HPI's I think but waiting for the tires to get here so I can make sure they fit. Still haven't got the offset of the stock rims yet. It appears to be a mystery to everyone even to people at Redcat LOL (I called their customer service number). If I knew how to get an accurate measurement I would do it myself.

Last edited by ninnimuggins; 02-14-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Redcat James

I don't remember getting a call here? Our cars are the only 1/10 scale 4wd buggy that uses a 12mm size hex on the front. We are not aware of another company that makes 4wd buggy front wheels that fit our vehicles, if you find one please share.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 AM
ninnimuggins

I typed that wrong. I was meaning they are 12mm hex all around, not that there are other cars that have a 12mm hex front.
I am currently working on a setup using the Proline Dirt Hawg tires. I think I have the rims that will work as well.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Redcat James

I was at a Hobbytown Saturday and a guy had a Tornado S30 that had aftermarket wheels and tires running on the off-road, I didn't get to see the car up close thou. Maybe he replaced the front 122mm hexs?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM
WakeRider93

Hey guys, I recently upgraded my tires and rims on my tornado. I but 2.2" RPM wheels and Proline Trenchers. I know these are off road but it should give you an idea. I used a wide offset wheel so I wouldn't have to worry about limiting my steering.