Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Should I get this brushless system for my Volcano?

I have a Volcano EXP, brushed version. I saw this brushless system for a very good price on Amazon and wanted to know if anyone has used this and if it's a good buy?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8OPAII/...I38D7FILGKA2YE

Hobbypower Racing 60a ESC Brushless Speed Controller 9t 4400kv Motor for 1/10 1/12 Car Truck

by Hobbypower

Be the first to review this item

[/COLOR]
    Note: Free shipping when purchased from hobbypower. Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

[COLOR=#009900 !important]Only 19 left in stock.
    Ships from and sold by hobbypower.
    [/COLOR]

• Hobbypower Racing 60A ESC
    • 9T 4400KV Motor
    • rc motors 1 16
    • rc motors brushless
    • inrunner motor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ive not heard of hobbypower?
    Seems like it would be ok. As long as its a 4pole motor.
    Good up to 3s lipo so that would make it pretty fast.
    Redcat tornado s30, 13 Xmods, rockslide rs10, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Do you know if I have to change the gearing? It's a 9t 4400KV motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by security22 View Post
    Do you know if I have to change the gearing? It's a 9t 4400KV motor.
    sell your truck...buy the EPX Pro version. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but you will spend the same if not less money doing that.

you would have to buy the steel spur gear....buy all the ball bearings (yours has bronze bushings)....buy a new pinion gear to adjust for different motor....and buy the motor/esc. You will spend well over $100.
    If you can get $100 for yours, and then buy a new epx pro for $200-$230 you will be better off. T

he system that comes on the Pro version is better (bigger motor) than the one you put a link to. again, the pro has the system, steel spur gear, steel pinion gear and full ball bearings. it is not just a matter of more power, other parts of the truck need to be upgraded as well to handle the power
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

I understand...thanks for the insight and advice. I'm relatively new to the RC world and yes I could click the "easy button" and buy the exp pro but I would learn everything I need to know about this truck if I do it the long and hard way. Call me crazy but as parts break I was going to upgrade everything I possibly can to aluminum parts and add an aluminum chassis...I guess I can do that when I add the brushless system. I don't mind spending the extra cash and rebuilding this truck better. I will do the same with the GP. My alternative motive is to get my son away from his computer games and use his time more constructively. He's a little strange he loves taking apart, fixing, and rebuilding but doesn't care much to bash and test the durability...I will do that for him

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by security22 View Post
    I understand...thanks for the insight and advice. I'm relatively new to the RC world and yes I could click the "easy button" and buy the exp pro but I would learn everything I need to know about this truck if I do it the long and hard way. Call me crazy but as parts break I was going to upgrade everything I possibly can to aluminum parts and add an aluminum chassis...I guess I can do that when I add the brushless system. I don't mind spending the extra cash and rebuilding this truck better. I will do the same with the GP. My alternative motive is to get my son away from his computer games and use his time more constructively. He's a little strange he loves taking apart, fixing, and rebuilding but doesn't care much to bash and test the durability...I will do that for him
    I see.
    ive owned all the electric redcat models, multiple of the epx pro models.
    the alloy wheel hubs are a good upgrade. the rest...well, not really worth the cost IMO. alloy arms are a bad move for many rc models. arms are large, and can generally flex without breaking. if you remove that flex, you risk putting a lot more strain on other parts which have less flex.

running the bronze bushing with a brushless system will cause them to warp. this will allow play and cause the diff gear's mesh to go off and strip those gears.

there are possible upgrades for the epx without going brushless. you can get a traxxas xl5 ESC, which will allow use of a 7cell or 2s lipo battery. Then you can get a rebuildable 19t motor.

the pro version still needs upgrades. the hubs are a good move, modding the diff cups with O rings, moving the steering and camber links to the holes closest to the hubs, better tires ect.

There are some crazy mods people have done to the ground pounder. ive seen some with traxxas brushless systems...which requires a bunch of mods to strengthen the axles and such. id use the GP as a modding platform.
    one could even scrap the stock chassis, build their own truck chassis and turn it into a rock crawler if they wanted to.

it is funny that your son likes to take them apart and build them but not so much drive them....many young boys ive met are the opposite. they love to drive them but as soon as something breaks they either put it on ebay or go back to the hobby shop and want them to fix it. they have no idea how to tear into something and wont even dare to try!
    Getting kids off games on into something mechanical is always a good motive
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,