Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Stripping Spur gears???

This is a whole new adventure for me. I bought a Volcano s30 for my first RC vehicle. Just shortly after break in of my new ride, I destroyed a spur gear and a clutch bell gear. Filed a warranty claim with redcat. They were awesome! they sent out new gears for me the next day! So while waiting for my parts, I tore into my truck. I very quickly found that the screw that holds the clutch bell onto flywheel was hanging on by 2 threads which allowed the gear to move and destroy itself and the spur gear. My advice is to check this screw and check the gear mesh. I was doing some research, and found that there are 2 speed replacements for this truck which comes with a single speed. So I ordered one. I ordered the upgraded aluminum clutch shoes as well. I will share results later. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about this!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    yep, screws and such on new RTR models often lack Loctite. add some heat from the motor and lots of vibration and things come loose.
    more often, it is the 4 motor mount screw on the underside of the chassis that come loose and cause a stripped spur gear, and those screw have the adjustment for getting the gear mesh right.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

I stripped my spur gears on my tornado s30. Almost
    looked they were melted or came that way from the factory. Redcat replaced them no questions asked. Haven't had a problem since. I always check and listen for a proper gear mesh. Roll the car forward then backward.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    One of my mesh screws came out a bit the I ran over a rock and bent it side ways. Oopsssssss
    Axial poison spyder wraith, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho, 13 xmods
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Ouch. Always nice to have extra parts laying around. I am 100% satisfied with my tornado s30 purchase. Spanks my vxl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah. I like my tornado s30, I need a clutch and a dog bone.
    Id like to say my tornado is my favorite car but I like my exo terra and honcho alot.
    Axial poison spyder wraith, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho, 13 xmods
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato