Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Stripping Spur gears???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM
tvjv2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripping Spur gears???

This is a whole new adventure for me. I bought a Volcano s30 for my first RC vehicle. Just shortly after break in of my new ride, I destroyed a spur gear and a clutch bell gear. Filed a warranty claim with redcat. They were awesome! they sent out new gears for me the next day! So while waiting for my parts, I tore into my truck. I very quickly found that the screw that holds the clutch bell onto flywheel was hanging on by 2 threads which allowed the gear to move and destroy itself and the spur gear. My advice is to check this screw and check the gear mesh. I was doing some research, and found that there are 2 speed replacements for this truck which comes with a single speed. So I ordered one. I ordered the upgraded aluminum clutch shoes as well. I will share results later. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about this!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yep, screws and such on new RTR models often lack Loctite. add some heat from the motor and lots of vibration and things come loose.
more often, it is the 4 motor mount screw on the underside of the chassis that come loose and cause a stripped spur gear, and those screw have the adjustment for getting the gear mesh right.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 PM
osubuckeyesgsxr750

I stripped my spur gears on my tornado s30. Almost
looked they were melted or came that way from the factory. Redcat replaced them no questions asked. Haven't had a problem since. I always check and listen for a proper gear mesh. Roll the car forward then backward.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my mesh screws came out a bit the I ran over a rock and bent it side ways. Oopsssssss
Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 PM
osubuckeyesgsxr750

Ouch. Always nice to have extra parts laying around. I am 100% satisfied with my tornado s30 purchase. Spanks my vxl
Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 AM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. I like my tornado s30, I need a clutch and a dog bone.
Id like to say my tornado is my favorite car but I like my exo terra and honcho alot.