Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano Wheel Hex and Nut Locking

Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 AM
BZA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Volcano Wheel Hex and Nut Locking

I bent a stub axle and decided to upgrade to aluminum for the hex and wheel nut (larger 4mm). The hope was to provide additional support to the stub axle and prevent bending. Problem is the wheel is locking up when I tighten even slightly. I read a thread mentioning I need to find the "sweet spot" and Loctite it. I don't think that's a good solution because anything less than tight is wobbly, and this defeats the purpose of the upgrade for additional support.

Possible solution?
I appears that the recessed part of the hex that fits the hex pin is too deep and it allows the wheel nut to pull the sub axle out too far so it binds on the inside bearing. I might try to put an additional hex pin (part 8027) inside the hex to take up some of that loose play. Hopefully this wont allow for the wheel nut to pull the stub axle out so much and lock up.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 AM
BZA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Update.
Discovered that its only the front right wheel that has the issue. Its has a bent dog bone on it, but not sure if the stub axle is bent. Need to take it apart to inspect. Again, weak spot on this truck is dog bones and stub axle.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:06 PM
zackS30

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a similar problem and it was the pin that goes into the hex nut was rubbing on the bearing and causing a bind. I had to get a small drill bit and put it in the hole the.turn it on and pull towards the threads to make the hole go to an oval shape. Tht fixed it.

Search this Thread