Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Volcano Wheel Hex and Nut Locking

I bent a stub axle and decided to upgrade to aluminum for the hex and wheel nut (larger 4mm). The hope was to provide additional support to the stub axle and prevent bending. Problem is the wheel is locking up when I tighten even slightly. I read a thread mentioning I need to find the "sweet spot" and Loctite it. I don't think that's a good solution because anything less than tight is wobbly, and this defeats the purpose of the upgrade for additional support.

Possible solution?
    I appears that the recessed part of the hex that fits the hex pin is too deep and it allows the wheel nut to pull the sub axle out too far so it binds on the inside bearing. I might try to put an additional hex pin (part 8027) inside the hex to take up some of that loose play. Hopefully this wont allow for the wheel nut to pull the stub axle out so much and lock up.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Update.
    Discovered that its only the front right wheel that has the issue. Its has a bent dog bone on it, but not sure if the stub axle is bent. Need to take it apart to inspect. Again, weak spot on this truck is dog bones and stub axle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had a similar problem and it was the pin that goes into the hex nut was rubbing on the bearing and causing a bind. I had to get a small drill bit and put it in the hole the.turn it on and pull towards the threads to make the hole go to an oval shape. Tht fixed it.
    Axial poison spyder wraith, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho, 13 xmods
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato