Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Is my engine toast? Hurricane XTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Shady9503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my engine toast? Hurricane XTR

Hey guys, as the title says im wondering if my engine is done for, i can only get it to start and idle when its completetly cooled down, and then after not even 2 seconds of full throttle itl cut out, and it won't even be hot, max temp was 134F and once its at that temp itl have no compression, i can pull the pull start out with almost no resistance, it wont even leave the ground and then its impossible to start again unless i give it some throttle, and even then it wont stay running, i dont want the engine to be fried but if it is then ill have no choice to replace, any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:51 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try resetting the carb. Turn hsn inwarnds all the way but NOT tight and the lsn to be flush with the surface. Write down how many turns it take to get the needles to closed position so u can just reset the tune to how it was so its not to hard to get it running how it was. If u have no compression then the engine is bad. U can try gettinfg a new rebuild kit or a new engine.
How old is it? How many gallons have u ran through it?
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Shady9503

its fairly new, broke it in last year, not even a gallon through it yet lol near the end of the summer it had started giving me trouble so i set it aside for winter with the rest of my buggies, i had reset the carb and before you replied had it running nicely it was just tuning at that point until it was running (rich on hsn but not too rich, decent smoke trail) heard a loud bang, engine locked up, took it apart, and saw some nice mettalic bits lol, if it wasnt done for before, it is now :P
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 AM
zackS30

Did u put after run oil in it? Thats probably why it went out so soon.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Shady9503

Yes, always made it a crucial point before storage, all my other ones are fine, running perfectly only this one engine blew on me, maybe just a defect?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM
zackS30

Sounds like it. U could try and see if redcat will warrenty it, I doubt it though. Wont hurt to try.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:13 PM
werginpritt

I had the same problem with my Vortex SS took me a month to finally throw in the towel and buy another sh18. After the break in process; I kick myself for trying so hard to fix the old one.