Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

S30 feels like theres resistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Shady9503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S30 feels like theres resistance

Hey guys, I've had my Tornado for 3 years now, love the thing, (same engine too) takes a beating and keeps going, recently ive been having a problem with the engine, it feels like it doesnt want to rev up. I'll have the throttle mashed down but it wont even shift into second, and because its on full throttle eventually it over heats and shuts off and i have a low shift point set, i cleaned out the air filter, checked diffs, gears bearings, and the glowplug they're all good. only thing i can think of is clutch, i took a look and the inside of the bell gear is really smooth but the clutch itself doesnt seem worn down, is my bell gear bad? could this be causing the clutch to try to grab but it just slips instead? causing the resistance? any and all help is appreciated very much!!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Redcat James

Does the clutch bell spin freely on the engine?
Old 06-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Shady9503

Yes, it spins Very freely, with a nice hard spin sometimes i have to stop it, otherwise itl just spin.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Redcat James

If the clutch spring is good the clutch sounds like it's ok. The engine could just be worn out and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. May not have enough power to make it shift? You said the engine shuts off, will it restart right away?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Shady9503

Yeah the clutch itself looks good, the bell gear itself has a shiny silver smooth inside and it makes me think that the clutch is engaging but slipping around the inside, and the engine has great compression so i dont think its worn out, and no, when it shuts off its because its overheated from being at max rpm but not going anywhere, once it cools a bit it starts up right away
Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Redcat James

Are you still using the pull start?
Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Shady9503

yeah pull start, i dont have a drill starter
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Redcat James

If the car is on the ground and you slowly pull the pull starter up, will the car stay on the ground or come up with the pull start?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Shady9503

It comes up with the pull starter
Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

In that case, your engine might need to be cleaned, the pullstarter is dead, or you need a drill start. You should get a drill start anyways. It is MUCH easier than a pull start, trust me.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Shady9503

alright i will give that a try, and if that doesnt help?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by collector1231
In that case, your engine might need to be cleaned, the pullstarter is dead, or you need a drill start. You should get a drill start anyways. It is MUCH easier than a pull start, trust me.
why is his pullstart dead? It sounds like he's having a problem with a running engine, not the starting aspect of it. Pullstarts are an excellent guage of telling you if your engine is actually ready to run compared to someone spinning an engine to death that is not in any condition to run in the first place. If the engine is primed and tuned properly, the pullstart will fire it right up within a few pulls. You'll know right away if it's flooded or it has no intention of starting, drill starts do not give you this type of critical feedback. Sounds like his original problem leads back to needle adjustment. He's too rich and the engine is not getting high enough rpm to shift.