Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

S10C-RTR & S10E-RTR ESC error codes

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

S10C-RTR & S10E-RTR ESC error codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Volpyx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S10C-RTR & S10E-RTR ESC error codes

Hi,
I'm new to RC and I just bought a Volcano EPX Pro (S10E) with NiMH 7.2V 2000mAh.

My son has a Tornado EPX Pro (S10C) with NiMH 7.2V 2000mAh and 8.4V 3000mAh since 2013.

I have tried it for the first time on the grass, since I don't know yet my driving skills. After a few minutes the throttle stop working but the steering kept working. The LED was red NOT blinking on the ESC. I turned it off and on again and could drive on the street without any problem. Then I drove it back to the grass since the street was too crowded and the throttle stop working again. This time the LED was blinking red.

My son is only driving on the street and is having the same problem but only with his 8.4V packs (The LED in blinking red).
Everything is working well with his 7.2V pack.

What are the meanings of those error codes ?

Is there any other error codes that we should know ?

What can we change in order to drive without any interruptions ?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 AM
tooth-less

Blinking RED light indicates esc has entered LVC, RED light stays on indicates signal loss. When using the 7 cell pack you need to disable the low voltage cutoff.

Can you take a pic of the ESC's that are installed in your cars ? Just want to be sure of which ESC's you have before walking you through programming them.

Running them in grass is always hit or miss. Grass creates drag on the chassis which in turn creates heat on your electronics and will drain your battery more rapidly.

hope this helps

Last edited by tooth-less; 06-23-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Volpyx

Hi tooth-less,

You can see the attached pictures of the 2 ESC. A friend of my son reprogramed them to turn off the low voltage protection.

So you were right with the low voltage cut off but I don't understand why this protection trigged.

Here what I guess happened.

On my truck in the grass, I think the current need was so high that the voltage of my 7.2V NiMH pack dropped below 6V.

On my son's buggy, the thing I don't understand is that he was using a 8.4V NiMH pack so the low voltage protection should have trigged later but it was triggering after only one minute. After the friend of my son changed the setting, the car was working fine and no more cut off happened. I even tried the 8.4V pack in my truck and I had the same cut off after 30 seconds but worked fine after the setting was changed.

My question now is why having a higher voltage pack is triggering the low voltage cut off more early ?

Thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140624_122701.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	2008444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140624_122726.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2008445  
Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM
tooth-less

Hello Volpyx,

To answer the LVC question, the ESC automatically detects 9.6v (7cell) and if the LVC was set at 3.0 it would not take long for the nimh pack to fall below the lvc threshold.

Hope I was clear on that lol Glad you got everything working and now need some running video . If you want to see dramatic performance increase pick up a couple 2s lipos and you and your son will get much longer run times.

Glad I could help and if anything else comes don't hesitate to ask.