Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado s30

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:59 PM
greentornado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado s30

ive been in and out of rc for a few years now. I have a tornado and volcano s30 that I bought used about a year and a half now. they havent been used a whole lot and are in really good shape, but each one has one thing that wont let them run. right now I am working on getting the tornado up an going. I keep losing the axles in this buggy. So I decided im gonna try the cvd axles after trying numerous things to keep the dogbones in. Ive replaced plenty of upper and lower arms, but have not as of yet taken apart a hub, and thats where im having problems. ive been searching for instructions and videos, but havent found anything to help me take the hub apart.

once i get the cvd's in, Im gonnna tear down the motor and make sure its not all rusted out being that its been sitting for about a year now. also been thinking on a minor port, but might wait on that yet.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:29 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cvds are junk IMO. I've had a set and they all broke within a week.
Just stick a small piece of fuel tubing the differential output. That is what I did.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 PM
greentornado

I tried the fuel tube trick, I learned that right away after I got into r/c. But I still lose them left and right.give had the cvds for a few months now, but haven't got them in yet.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe ull have better luck. Mine broke just running in my yard and jumping off my curb to the street.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't break the CVDs I had on one of my tornado epx pros, but I did manage to bend them. The shaft isn't any thicker than the stock dogbones. For me, the fuel tubing trick worked well in keeping the dogbones from popping out or snapping.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:26 PM
greentornado

cvds are doing fine so far, but i put something back together too tight or need some new bearings also need to replace one hub since i tore it up a but taking it out. gonna look over that next week. Got to looking over my volcano, and need to replace the throttle servo, it just twitches while the other is fine. Aside from the hexfly servo, is there any that would work better? So im looking into alternative servos and tx/rx combo, looking for something i can use with multiple cars. Im looking to gain a losi LST in the next 6 months as well as a mini electric of some sort like the mini 8ight.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by greentornado
cvds are doing fine so far, but i put something back together too tight or need some new bearings also need to replace one hub since i tore it up a but taking it out. gonna look over that next week. Got to looking over my volcano, and need to replace the throttle servo, it just twitches while the other is fine. Aside from the hexfly servo, is there any that would work better? So im looking into alternative servos and tx/rx combo, looking for something i can use with multiple cars. Im looking to gain a losi LST in the next 6 months as well as a mini electric of some sort like the mini 8ight.
I use tower pro MG996r servos in many of my rc's. not the best, but a decent torque metal geared servo that isn't expensive (about $15 on ebay)
I currently am using a flysky GT3c radio. it is compatible with the redcat receiver, but has 10 model memory as well as some other nice features. And the large LCD screen is easy to use. It also has a rechargeable lipo battery. It is about $60 shipped (check hobbypartz, maybe on ebay to)
So, you can buy that radio plus another receiver for well under $100 and have what you need for your current model plus the ones you are looking to buy. and if you sell the stock radio/receiver from the LST and mini 8ight those will pay for the flysky radio and maybe leave you some extra as well.
Ive owned the vaterra Kalahari...which is based on the mini 8ight platform. It is very capable for a sub -1/10 scale rc. I got mine when they were starting to discontinue them....$115 shipped RTR! If you can find one for less than $150 new, think about getting that over the mini 8ight. the mini 8ight is a bit more race worthy (wider track width) but the Kalahari is very good for the money and shares about 60-70% of the same parts.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
greentornado

picked up 2 futaba s3003 servos for now at my LHS. but its too late to take the volcano out and tune it in. i think next week im gonna order new bearings and shocks for the tornado, found one bent up from the last run... Ill be looking more into that radio, but i guess its only an online brand as i inquired about it at hobby town today.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

picked up 2 futaba s3003 servos for now at my LHS. but its too late to take the volcano out and tune it in. i think next week im gonna order new bearings and shocks for the tornado, found one bent up from the last run... Ill be looking more into that radio, but i guess its only an online brand as i inquired about it at hobby town today.
yeh, even if your hobby shop knows about the flysky I doubt they would tell you about it....since it is much less expensive than a futaba / Spektrum or similar radio capable of the same stuff. For a Spektrum radio that can do the same, you will spend well over $100...then receivers will be another $30 each. Spektrum radios are nice, and if you can afford it they are higher quality. But for most hobbiest..general bashers and occasional racers the flysky unit will work very well and not hurt the wallet as much.

But flysky, hobbywing, ezrun and a few other "online" only brands have been around for awhile and have proven to be dependable and great value. I have my flysky gt3c for my cars and a flysky 6ch radio for my planes. And many of the redcat radios are just re-branded flysky units (which is why your stock receiver will work with the GTC3 radio.)
Old 07-14-2014, 01:28 AM
greentornado

Yeah, the dx transmitter she was recommending was 140. I'm already figuring the lst with everything I'm looking at is gonna be anywhere from 600 to 1000 already. Single speed tranny, different gearing, wing, wheelie bar, sway bars, tires and body will add up quick. Throw in a battery pack for the rx and servos with a new tx, and I'd like to keep as low on cost as possible. Still trying to figure out if that's gonna wait till tax time and get the electric in September or vice versa.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:35 AM
greentornado

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM
greentornado

Are there any traxxas or losi head shims that will fit the sh 18 motor?

What kind of rechargeable battery packs does everyone use in their cars?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Are there any traxxas or losi head shims that will fit the sh 18 motor?

What kind of rechargeable battery packs does everyone use in their cars?
I don't know if head shims are interchangeable among brands. But you should be able to find SH parts on ebay.

I personally have never used a rechargeable pack in any of my nitro models. AAs were always good enough for me. Some use nimh packs, others use Life (not to be confused with lipo) which are lighter and typically smaller.