Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano epx batt questions from another darn newbie

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano epx batt questions from another darn newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Detrailers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano epx batt questions from another darn newbie

Just bought this unit for my kid and I am hooked. Saving my pennies to buy a Rampage XL but want to help the Volcano a bit.

Instructions were very vague about charge times - it did say 8-10 hours the first time and no more than 6 hrs after that but im wondering what the realistic charge time is with the stock charger.

I see is comes with a 1800mah batt and sticker says I can run up to a 3600 but cannot find a 7.2v/3600 - I did find a 7.2v/3800 but am wondering if the extra 200mah will hurt the unit, or can I run a 5000mah and just keep the play times to 5 mins and cool down. I have already bought the Thunder ac6 charger.

I also see some recommend soldering the bullet connectors from the motor to the controller on the brushless motors, is this something I should do on my brushed unit. And is it possible on the brushed unit to adjust the low voltage control?

Any info is apprieciated, thanks.

Last edited by Detrailers; 08-17-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:07 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't see why the mah would effect it?
All it is is how long the battery will last for. In my redcat rs10 I used a 2s lipo 5000mah battery and it came with a 1800 7.2nimh battery. Which lasted all of 5 minutes.
If ur using a lipos battery then u can charge at the amp is says to charge and normally takes an hour, for example my 2&3s lipos r 5000mah and I charge them at a 5amps rate and it takes ~an hour.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:05 PM
westoakmech

You can run whatever mah you want, it will not hurt anything at all. You should not need to adjust the low voltage for nihm, that is for lipos
Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Detrailers

I got a 5000 mah, what a huge difference but even bigger was the Thunder AC680 which charges it quickly. I just have to be careful since it is the brushed motor not to overheat it. Selling it soon and getting an EPX pro
Old 08-27-2014, 04:34 PM
westoakmech

You don't have to sell it. Just convert it, not much difference to the epx pro. You can buy the redcat brushless set, pretty resonable, or the possibilties are endless. My son has a volcano, that started brushed. I put an ez-run system in it, for aroud $75. He also has a tornado buggy, which is the buggy version of the volcano, it came brushless. Have had no problems with either system. I know redcats system, was an ez-run system, not sure about the newer stuff. Or keep it, convert it, and buy something else, and have two. Lots of cool models out there. Good luck, and enjoy
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Detrailers

I was considering upgrading it but someone on the forum scared me off doing it. Seems like there are too many kits to count and the only sure fire kit is RCRs and its pricy at $125...that is only $4 less than I paid for the whole vehicle. Bought an S30 last week and my kid wants to keep up with me and not have to worry about overheating....I wish there was another kit for less that was a sure fit and didnt need a different pinion etc....
Originally Posted by westoakmech
You don't have to sell it. Just convert it, not much difference to the epx pro. You can buy the redcat brushless set, pretty resonable, or the possibilties are endless. My son has a volcano, that started brushed. I put an ez-run system in it, for aroud $75. He also has a tornado buggy, which is the buggy version of the volcano, it came brushless. Have had no problems with either system. I know redcats system, was an ez-run system, not sure about the newer stuff. Or keep it, convert it, and buy something else, and have two. Lots of cool models out there. Good luck, and enjoy

Last edited by Detrailers; 08-27-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well don't be scared off by what someone says. All it takes is a bit of research and asking ?'s
Working g on the car is the best part! Run break fix repeat!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 AM
westoakmech

Look at the ez-run set up. At hobbypartz.com, they are $76, and that is the motor, esc, and a program card. Like I said redcat is running ez-run set ups, so it is basicily the same thing the epx pro would come with. It is not hard to change out, you should be able to run the same pinion. So just a couple simple tools, that you probably already have. Don't let someone scare you away from something. Changing things out, and modding rc cars, is half the fun of owning them.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Detrailers

found a couple, the ones on hobby wing say for on road vehicles, would I want a 35a or 60a and im expierienced so Im guessing the 4300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-Co...item43b1d7fb73

Last edited by Detrailers; 08-28-2014 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:05 PM
westoakmech

4300 would be good. If you want more torque, you go lower, if you want more speed you goe higher. Like a 5700 kv, would run faster topend, than a 4300, because it is gonna turn more rpms. With nihm, or 2s lipo, in the 4000 range would be good.