Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Earthquake 3.5 Pull-start Stuck - Brand New...Possible Fake?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 3.5 Pull-start Stuck - Brand New...Possible Fake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 PM
conman888555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 3.5 Pull-start Stuck - Brand New...Possible Fake?

Hi all. Got a brand new Earthquake 3.5 and the pull-start is stuck (actually very, very hard to pull). Couple things:

1) wondering if there are fake Earthquakes out there. The one I got has a black engine and short antenna with no tube. All the pics I've seen of the Earthquakes have blue engines with different shape and long antennas. Maybe mine is just a newer model than the pics online?

2) why in the heck is my starting mechanism stuck right out of the box/new? Feels like it's frozen.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Redcat James

The new Earthquakes come with a black cooling head and short antenna since they are 2.4. If your engine won't turn over from what I've seen the pinch on the new engines is extra tight. You can use a heat gun to warm the engine and make it easier to start. What I've been doing is removing the glow plug and dropping after run oil down the cylinder. Then pulling the pull start several times (a lot) to loosen the engine up. Reinstall the plug and you should be good.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:40 AM
conman888555

Thank you so much james. So ur saying the motor is 2.4? Not 3.5?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM
conman888555

or is that the radio frequency?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM
conman888555

Oh this is how i reply...read my other posts plz
Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Redcat James

2.4 is the radio
Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 PM
mbonadio
My Feedback: (1)

Had the very same problem this past week - brand new out of box Earthquake - tight to pull, refused to even come close to firing up. Redcat James - must have been you I exchanged emails with.... (thank you!)

Anyway, actually tried afterrun to loosen things up, and leaned the engine, a bit, etc,etc. and eventually gave up and shipped it back and got an electric model ordered..

I still am on the prowl for a nitro. But this one wasn't it! Never had that kind of trouble with a Nitro before and I've had many in the past 10-15 years. Spent 3 days until my hands literally bled.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like a bad plug or starter rather than the engines fault.
I like my tornado s30 however I'm trying to sell it its sat for the last year. After run oil is great stuff.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
mbonadio
My Feedback: (1)

Plug was fine and tested ok. Swapped plugs with my nitro car in fact. Starter was fine too works perfectly on my other car. Its a good lipo based model. Even tried shortening the fuel line. No luck. Wasn't gonna tear the trick apart and just have up.

Just got a dud - happens sometimes no biggie. Got my electric model yesterday and spend all
day playing with it with my son! Got a pair of Volcano bushless trucks and plugged in my lipos! Good stuff.

what are you asking for your s30? I am also looking at used t-maxx trade too...I am still interested in a nitro for the fleet!

Last edited by mbonadio; 08-23-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 AM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150 I got lots of parts for it and it has aluminum a arms. It needs a dog bone clutch and servo. Those are the only things I don't have for it servos can be found for as little as 20$ the whole dog bone set on eBay it ~15$ and a clutch is like 6$