Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My recent Earthquake 3.5 and RC musings

Bought an Earthquake a few months ago - never got it to start, despite some good support from Redcat and the internet. Sent it back to Amazon and I ended up getting an S30 brushless and it's a blast. Especially on lipo.

But being stubborn, I felt like I still wanted (needed!) a Nitro monster truck in the fleet. Worked a trade with a guy on this forum for an electric buggy, charger, and batteries for his Tmaxx. Shipped my stuff to him and got nothing in return except the sound of crickets. He scammed me! Took my son's RC and stole it! For crying out loud. Had him banned on here. Terrible thing to do - never had that problem on here before.

Ended up finding a "good" Earthquake 3.5 on Amazon for cheap. Took a chance and bought it - got it and was shocked - it was missing parts, was modified, all beat up, and just a dirty mess. So I sent that back pronto to Amazon. Fortunately it was a "prime" warehouse deal and that went fine. Reminded Amazon that "good condition" wasn't even close! haha. Wow! Should have charged them for the clean up job I did to get through all the grime on that thing. It was missing the brake and the front drivetrain dogbone! Had 5 missing screws, and 4 stripped. Had a big chunk of plastic missing on the a-arms, and my favorite - an electric start was installed. Wow! No wonder it was only $100 bucks.

Still not satisfied I kept looking. Another warehouse deal on Amazon showed up Friday. "Like New" condition! So, being that I really wanted to give the Redcat Earthquake another try after my first new one wouldn't start, I decided what the heck, I will try one more time. This one was only $120 bucks shipped! Still amazing price. I *had* to try this.

The box arrived yesterday. It was a tiny bit beat up but never opened and sealed. I opened it! Earthquake 3.5 brand new inside - along with controller, instructions, and everything sealed! Sweet. Promptly prepped it. Went to start it but my glow charger needed a charge, so I had to wait. Good news is after that, this one fired right up and I got through the first 2 tanks of nitro (20%) last night at temps no higher than about 160 degrees. Starts right up.

I picked up a redcat electric starter and backplate, but haven't installed it yet. Seems like it will prevent some future blisters though! That handle on the pull starts just rubs my hand wrong. haha.

Wish me luck! So far so good. It's a nice looking truck and I am sure to be having fun with it.

Despite all the negative press, I now I have 5 Redcats in my fleet. An electric brushless EPX Pro on-road, Electric brushless Volcano S30, Nitro Earthquake 3.5 Nitro, and two Sumo's upgraded with 180 turn motors and rechargeable batteries. To be very fair to Redcat, in 20 years, every RC I've owned breaks and needs attention - especially Nitro. I just spent time with my son's Duratrax EXT getting it fitted with new and better suspension, and my Brushless HPI Blitz keeps ejecting spur gears like popcorn regardless of what I do. I hope the dodo that stole my son's buggy has fun with his Tamiya buggy - that was a decent car for a long time, but worth very little to me anymore, and was my son's trainer car so Karma will catch that jerk and I hope that car explodes in his face!

Cheers all!
    Martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow what a douche, who does that! I hope that guy isnt paying attention and smashes it into a cops foot and he beats his *****.
    Anyways, I've had good luck with redcat, they were my starter. Had a tornado s30 and an rs10. Ive bought most of my RCS new though.
    Axial poison spyder wraith, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho, 13 xmods
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow what a douche, who does that! I hope that guy isnt paying attention and smashes it into a cops foot and he beats his *****.
    Anyways, I've had good luck with redcat, they were my starter. Had a tornado s30 and an rs10. Ive bought most of my RCS new though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm not sure what kind of person would do that! But given the time and effort he put into it for little return seems stupid to me. Kept sending me emails and pictures up until his last reply that said "I received your package but haven't opened it yet. My wife sent yours out last night". Really!! Never got it and never got a reply to my 20 messages following asking what happened, and for a tracking number. Oh well.

At this point I'm not complaining, because with the money I originally spent on my Earthquake, I returned it and bought a Volcano and had $100 bucks left, which I ended up using to buy this new "like new" one for a super deal which works perfectly well. So I ended up with 2 nice brand new RC's and got rid of something I wasn't even using any more that just took up space! Good riddance.

Made it through tanks 4 and 5 last night, and started leaning things out. Still running it below 200 degrees. No stalls, not problems starting, should be just about ready to do some final tuning now and try some dirt! woohoo! Just in time for the weekend.
    Last edited by mbonadio; 10-02-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nice! Well congrats!

Good luck with that earthquake, I have had nothing but problems with mine. Today after replacing the spur hear with a steel one, I twisted the chassie today. While that was from driving a lil to hard, the 8 year old losi is still running strong. Anyway look at the electric start backplate that the starter drive points up and to the right as the rear starter plate goes through the rear suspension and is a pain in the butt. The earthquake is fast as hell though. Smokes the losi. O well I haven't give up yet. One more thing, for aftermarket parts, suspension, chassie, steering and such, hsp parts fit and are cheap on eBay.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's too bad - after 2 weeks and 12 tanks of gas, lots of jumps and fun mine is running perfectly! Same with my other 4 Redcat's. My HPI Blitz continues to be a pain though - gotta keep working on that one - guess that's the fun of RC - build it, race it, break it, fix it, repeat! haha.

Did buy a electric starter and backplate, but just haven't put it on. When I have a need to pop the engine out for cleanup or replacing something then I'll do it. Surprising I've gotten better at pull starting. Also got a little Integy fuel pump/filter that helps me get gas t the carb easier.

Everything RC breaks eventually! ;-)
    Last edited by mbonadio; 10-13-2014 at 08:30 AM.