Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

wanting to upgrade battery...

I have a brushed Redcat Volcano EPX and I purchased a 8.4V Tenergy 5000mah flat NiMH battery. Can I use this battery without damaging my truck? I've been looking for an adapter on ebay, but not sure which one I need. The battery has a standard traxxas connector on it and the truck has banana 4.0. Please advice.

Thank you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I put deans connecters on all my RCs
    U could have got a 2s lipo and it would give better power delivery and a bit more punch.
    Ur battery should be fine though.
    Axial poison spyder wraith, axial exo terra, axial scx10 honcho, 13 xmods
    Fav. Quote... Only the dead have seen the end of war- plato

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I put deans connecters on all my RCs
    U could have got a 2s lipo and it would give better power delivery and a bit more punch.
    Ur battery should be fine though.

The adapter I need is it a Traxxas male to 4mm Bullet Banana???

The adapter I need is it a Traxxas male to 4mm Bullet Banana???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't think anyone makes that?

If ur able to solder the just get the plug u need and cut the old one off and solder the new one back on.
    Or have ur local hobby store do it for u if the can.

I have my own solder equipment so I can do it myself. Saves a lot of hassle. U can get a cheap hobby solder iron for like 10$ maybe less. The solder wire is a tad expensive. But u get a lot of it.

I found a Traxxas male to 4mm Bullet Banana adapter on ebay..it looks righ...I guess I'll ordr it and see. If not, I'll have to see if I can find someone to solder a new plug!! Thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's awesome! I didn't know they were available, we both learned something.
    If u were in Peoria az I'd do it for u!

I might just have to mail it to you if it doesn't work!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That could be arranged! As long as u pay shipping I have no problem doing so.

Sorry mods I don't mean to make a deal outside of classifieds

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    FYI, anything over 7.2v will (eventually) fry the stock speed control. It might last 1 battery pack, maybe 5, but it will fry.

You can find used traxxas xl-5, team losi 12t and similar brushed ESCs for around $30 on ebay. They will allow use of a 8.4 or even 9.6v battery. Or a 2s lipo.

the stock ESC on my sandstorm lasted 4 or 5 packs before it fried when I used a 2s lipo (which has a peak voltage of 8.4v) It got hot driving on a track, but when I took it out in a sand pit that made the ESC too hot and it died. The type of surface you drive on changes the load on the motor, and thus also on the esc.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sand puts a rather large load bcuz the tires sink in and spin a lot, grass is thick and makes extra drag.

I really don't think that using a 8.4v NiMH will hurt it. I used a 2s lipo on my rs10 and it was fine. That ESC didn't have low voltage cut off or anything necessary for lipo use.

What kind of terrain r u driving on fortune?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sand puts a rather large load bcuz the tires sink in and spin a lot, grass is thick and makes extra drag.

I really don't think that using a 8.4v NiMH will hurt it. I used a 2s lipo on my rs10 and it was fine. That ESC didn't have low voltage cut off or anything necessary for lipo use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by zackS30 View Post

I really don't think that using a 8.4v NiMH will hurt it. I used a 2s lipo on my rs10 and it was fine
    . That ESC didn't have low voltage cut off or anything necessary for lipo use.

there is a sticker on all EPX models that states 7.2v which is no greater than 3000mah. They don't even want you using a battery that would extend runtimes as that will cause more heat buildup. a 5000mah 7.2v nimh would be fine tho, IMO. But a 2s lipo or a 8.4v nimh will kill the esc.
    The reason you can run a 2s lipo on the RS10 is because those extremely high turn motors pull very few amps. In fact, I have run 3 RS10 motors off of a single 27t brushed redcat esc (basically the same one from the epx) and it did not even get warm!
    The lower the number of turns, the higher the amp draw. Those 70turn 390 size rs10 motors don't use much juice. that is also the reason you can get an hour of runtime off a 5000mah battery, when it would only last 15-20 minutes in a EPX model.
    So, basically the rs10 ESC doesn't need a high amp capacity. And if yours ever dies, you can run both motors off of most any 27t capable esc. Something like a traxxas xl5 could likely handle 4 rs10 motors at the same time (since it is 15t capable at 8.4v)

Jang did a review of the sandstorm. He ran it stock first. then, and he mentions the warning sticker, he ran a 2s lipo. The esc died in like 5 minutes. The redcat 27t brushed esc's are as cheap as a esc can be. fine if used stock, but not capable of upgrading the motor or battery.

The epx pro models I think are well worth the extra $80 or so. The brushless system is many times better than the brushed. the speed of the epx might be fine for beginners, but the desire for more speed usually comes quickly. After years in the hobby, I can hardly enjoy running any model that isn't capable of at least 35mph...lol.
    Last edited by nitrosportsandrunner; 10-27-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Oh wow I didn't know that! I would have assumed that with it being capable of 7.2 that a 8.4 or 2s would have been OK since its only 1 volt more.