Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano EPX Pro gear box housing bearing

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano EPX Pro gear box housing bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Geawiel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano EPX Pro gear box housing bearing

I've run my Volcano EPX Pro a handful of times now. I've been practicing jumps again by using my curb as a ramp. It's been doing good but except for one thing. The rear gearbox housing bearing keeps walking out of the housing its in. I tried a dab of glue on it, and letting it dry before running. It took longer, but it still walked out this run I just did. Is there a decent fix for this? Do they make a metal housing that holds the bearing in place better than the plastic stock one?
Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Which bearing? The drive shaft bearing? Pictures?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Volcano_Gearbox_B.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	2240727

The do make aluminum diff housings for the EPX, but I don't think there is anything different between the two except the material they are made from.

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-09-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Geawiel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the drive shaft bearing where the front shaft/shaft holder goes into the gear housing. It still runs with it out, but you can definitely hear when it is. The drive shaft doesn't stay straight and solid when it's out. It can bend slightly with it out so you get some slop when it's turning. My concern is that it may tear something up in the gear housing itself, since the bearing isn't there to hold everything in a tight straight line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6W8DoJE.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2240726
Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 PM
RustyUs

Front end now?

I think you have a loose setscrew/grub screw. If the setscrew in the universal joint/outdrive cup is tight enough, the cup should not move on the drive gear shaft, thus keep the bearing in position. I'd clean out the threads for the setscrew, and use some medium thread lock on it. Let the thread lock cure for a few hours (overnight would be even better).
Old 10-09-2017, 08:31 PM
RustyUs

If worse comes to worst, and the universal joint cup keeps sliding back, then I'd drill or (preferably) Dremel a smidgen of material off the shaft where the setscrew sits.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Volcano Gearbox c.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	2240744