Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

My custom Vortex SS 3.0 my fav redcat ever! PICS INSIDE!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My custom Vortex SS 3.0 my fav redcat ever! PICS INSIDE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 PM
BoodaRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My custom Vortex SS 3.0 my fav redcat ever! PICS INSIDE!

Hey RCU!

As a redcat dealer i see many amazing redcat products! but this is my prize car! Not only my first car but my fav. Here are the the simple but nice mods ive done.

Here is a picture of the car when i first got it.

After breaking a rim lol after bashing it, i knew i needed something better.

So i got the rims off the aftershock
And i used the old rims and tires for some swagger hahaha

I have two bodies for my vortex, i use the blue one for bashing the hell out of it, and the red one to model it at home!

And recently i noticed the body was sitting a little high. so i decided to trim around the wheel wells and droped the body posts down a bit so it sits a little lower, i dont have a pic of it, but i will be making a new video soon!

Anyways i hope you guys enjoyed the bad quality pics haha!!

Roy
BoodaRC
www.boodaRC.com

Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 PM
BoodaRC

Default RE: My custom Vortex SS 3.0 my fav redcat ever! PICS INSIDE!

The original rim/tired that comes with it aren't that great, they do have foam inside but not the best. The vortex used to ship out with the tornado style rims but not staggered. 

But after installing these new rim/tires my vortex handles amazing and climbs over things better and takes a lot more beating lol. 

I do recommend this to any vortex owner.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sure does look better with aftershock tires. the tornado tires the vortex ships with are fine for a buggy but dont work for a truck.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tornado tires "or wheels actually" were the worst part of the Tornado for me. I split two of them in half after 3-4 jumps. I replaced mine with Hpi 5 star rims and Proline speed hawgs.[img]imag0257.jpeg[/img]
Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 PM
BoodaRC

agreed. Redcat makes amazing cars, but those rims they send out with the lower priced cars aren't as durable.. but the aftershock rims/tires are crazy quality. I'm gonna upgrade to proline once these tires wear out.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 AM
BoodaRC

pretty excited gonna paint my blue body army green! will post pics soon!
Old 03-28-2015, 04:40 AM
Stryker48

"Old post I know!"

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Redcat makes amazing cars" lol.
They are pretty decent for the money, however in no ways comparable with the more trusted brands, which are far more durable, competitive and have much better after market support. (not the same market!)

Redcats are 'ideally' suited for the casual light bashing market on a budget. (nothing more IMHO!)

I 'love' my Redcat Hurricane XTE for what it is and what it was intended for (light casual bashing), however I am pragmatic and realistic.

Redcat unfortunately uses crappy HSP wheels on most of their cars, buggies and trucks (if not all) their models. While they are probably 'ok' for on-road vehicles, they are way too brittle for off-road vehicles, doing jumps etc.

Fortunately, much better quality aftermarket wheels tires and inserts are available at reasonable cost, so it's a very easy fix and a worthwhile upgrade IMHO.

Same applies to the rear wings on all Redcat models (brittle plastic) and ALL the thin brittle PVC body shells.

As with most of these lower end entry level models, it's the type of plastics used in the components, that are the models biggest downfall. (Suspension components being the major culprit for most of these models in the past, giving these models a bad wrap in the past, which still lingers.)

These are ALL rebrands of HSP models (Redcat, Exceed, Himoto etc)
While these rebrands use the same part numbers and are interchangeable, they are NOT made at the same factory using the same quality components, so quality CAN and DOES vary between the rebrands.

Some rebrands like Exceed, HAVE taken note of the complaints and started improving on the quality of some (not all) their plastic components. (e.g. on their 1/8 mad drift - GREAT improvement!)

We can only hope that all these manufacturers take note and improve on the quality of their plastic components as a whole.
If not, I can't see them gaining market share and/or staying in business quite frankly.

Last edited by Stryker48; 03-28-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Guff15

Originally Posted by Stryker48
"Old post I know!"

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Redcat makes amazing cars" lol.
They are pretty decent for the money, however in no ways comparable with the more trusted brands, which are far more durable, competitive and have much better after market support. (not the same market!)

Redcats are 'ideally' suited for the casual light bashing market on a budget. (nothing more IMHO!)

I 'love' my Redcat Hurricane XTE for what it is and what it was intended for (light casual bashing), however I am pragmatic and realistic.

Redcat unfortunately uses crappy HSP wheels on most of their cars, buggies and trucks (if not all) their models. While they are probably 'ok' for on-road vehicles, they are way too brittle for off-road vehicles, doing jumps etc.

Fortunately, much better quality aftermarket wheels tires and inserts are available at reasonable cost, so it's a very easy fix and a worthwhile upgrade IMHO.

Same applies to the rear wings on all Redcat models (brittle plastic) and ALL the thin brittle PVC body shells.

As with most of these lower end entry level models, it's the type of plastics used in the components, that are the models biggest downfall. (Suspension components being the major culprit for most of these models in the past, giving these models a bad wrap in the past, which still lingers.)

These are ALL rebrands of HSP models (Redcat, Exceed, Himoto etc)
While these rebrands use the same part numbers and are interchangeable, they are NOT made at the same factory using the same quality components, so quality CAN and DOES vary between the rebrands.

Some rebrands like Exceed, HAVE taken note of the complaints and started improving on the quality of some (not all) their plastic components. (e.g. on their 1/8 mad drift - GREAT improvement!)

We can only hope that all these manufacturers take note and improve on the quality of their plastic components as a whole.
If not, I can't see them gaining market share and/or staying in business quite frankly.
Stryker, I bought a Backdraft 3.5 about 3 weeks ago and while I can't speak for the older models, I can tell you that the one I have is made of the more durable plastic AND features a few aluminum parts that I noticed the older models do not. So far the only things I've broken on it were both my fault. First was the spur gear....after engine break in I decided to start tuning it. I got it pretty dialed in and started driving like an idiot in a parking lot (saw a snow hill and jumped it, ended up getting a rock caught in between the spur and pinion which chewed up about 10 teeth on the spur). Metal spur replaced it and no more running with the body off like that, lol.

Second break was again with me driving like an idiot in the street and smack a curb at about 20mph (same day I got the new spur gear in, lol). Luckily the servo saver did it's job and was the only thing to break. But I have to say that I've done things to this car that should've broken something major (i.e. jumped next to a tree at 1/2 throttle and head first into a 6" tree), flipped it at full speed, and ran into a car tire at about 20mph. Nothing broke on those occasions. As for the wheels/tires, I again cannot complain as I've bounced this thing off of a few curbs and just came away with some rashes on the rims.

So, maybe Redcat has heard the complaints and made improvements to some/most/all of their cars and trucks they sell. Not to mention that the Backdraft use to come with an SH .21 engine but now comes with an OS .21. I'm not saying that my Backdraft is on the same playing field as the "higher" end manufacturers, but for what I paid and what I've put it through in the short time I've had it, the money was well spent. I'm willing to bet that both of my breakages would've happened with and OFNA, CEN, Traxxas or other higher end model.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Stryker48

Originally Posted by Guff15
Stryker, I bought a Backdraft 3.5 about 3 weeks ago and while I can't speak for the older models, I can tell you that the one I have is made of the more durable plastic AND features a few aluminum parts that I noticed the older models do not. So far the only things I've broken on it were both my fault. First was the spur gear....after engine break in I decided to start tuning it. I got it pretty dialed in and started driving like an idiot in a parking lot (saw a snow hill and jumped it, ended up getting a rock caught in between the spur and pinion which chewed up about 10 teeth on the spur). Metal spur replaced it and no more running with the body off like that, lol.

Second break was again with me driving like an idiot in the street and smack a curb at about 20mph (same day I got the new spur gear in, lol). Luckily the servo saver did it's job and was the only thing to break. But I have to say that I've done things to this car that should've broken something major (i.e. jumped next to a tree at 1/2 throttle and head first into a 6" tree), flipped it at full speed, and ran into a car tire at about 20mph. Nothing broke on those occasions. As for the wheels/tires, I again cannot complain as I've bounced this thing off of a few curbs and just came away with some rashes on the rims.

So, maybe Redcat has heard the complaints and made improvements to some/most/all of their cars and trucks they sell. Not to mention that the Backdraft use to come with an SH .21 engine but now comes with an OS .21. I'm not saying that my Backdraft is on the same playing field as the "higher" end manufacturers, but for what I paid and what I've put it through in the short time I've had it, the money was well spent. I'm willing to bet that both of my breakages would've happened with and OFNA, CEN, Traxxas or other higher end model.
Congrats on your Backdraft 3.5

Agreed, some of these models and rebrands of HSP have improved (for the most part) over recent years.
With that said, they haven't made any changes (that I'm aware of) regarding the crappy HSP wheels and the rear wings, which are still made from brittle plastic.

As for breaking parts, any model is breakable, when you encounter an immovable object at high speed

The body shells unfortunately haven't been improved upon either, as they still use thin PVC (which cracks and shatters more easily) as apposed a higher quality Lexan, which tears as apposed to shattering.

Please don't get me wrong! ..... I'm not a Redcat hater, on the contrary, I like them very much. (I have one after all
All I'm saying, there is STILL room for improvement on some of the components used in these models today.

Below, are my thoughts and opinions on the 'weaker' components still used today:

*Shock towers (could do with stronger tempered aluminum or steel) ....available as as optional upgrade
*Dog bones (could do with stronger tempered steel) ..... not sure if there is an upgrade for them.
*Brass Spur gear (could do with stronger tempered steel replacement) ....available as an aftermarket upgrade.
*Stock ccrews and bolts (could do with stronger stainless steel) .... stronger aftermarket upgrades available.
*HSP wheels (could do with using stronger plastics) ..... aftermarket wheels available as an optional upgrade
*Inserts (could do with quality closed foam cell inserts) ......aftermarket inserts are available as an optional upgrade.
*I highly recommended taping the inside of all 4 tires (prevents ballooning) as well as 2 x 2mm holes in the tires (no holes in the rim) to expel dirt and moisture. & BALANCE the wheels
*Rear wing (could do with using stronger more flexible plastics) .....aftermarket wings available as an optional upgrade
*Body shell (could do with higher quality and thicker Lexan) ...... Carpet Tape & "Shoe-Goo" can be used to reinforce the shell (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
*Steering servo (could do with higher speed and torque) ..... aftermarket servos available as an optional upgrade
*Hinge pins (could be longer and stronger) ...... no direct upgrades available that I'm aware of. (I could be wrong!)

I'm running my Hurricane XTE all stock and have not upgraded anything as yet (except 2 new sets of wheels, tires and inserts).
If and when (more likely when lol) I do break something, ... I will consider upgrading and or replacing with an aftermarket part or component.
I have also reinforced the body shell on the inside with carpet tape and "shoe-goo."
I also have a stronger aftermarket wing, that I still have to install.
I also plan on upgrading to stainless steel screws and bolts (still to be purchased)

Here's a pic of my Hurricane XTE all stock
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HURRICANE XTE.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2084893  

Last edited by Stryker48; 03-29-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:46 AM
Guff15

Originally Posted by Stryker48
Congrats on your Backdraft 3.5
Thanks! I agree with all of your statements/opinions and I will upgrade the parts as I break them. I don't see a need to upgrade anything until it breaks because then I may as well bought a higher end buggy with all of those parts already installed, lol.

What rear wing do you have on in that pic? It looks just like the stocker that came with it...... OR maybe that pic is a before pic?

I haven't broken the body or wing (yet), and I can see the body breaking but the wing seems to be pretty sturdy. I've flipped this car multiple times and only had some road rash, but I'm sure that I haven't hit the right spot yet. As I stated before, the only "upgrade" I've done is the steel spur gear. I did notice a slight 'ting' sound after the install and mesh but I can live with it as long as it lasts and doesn't stress something else out in the drive train. I've ran 3 tanks of fuel through it and haven't noticed any unusual wear in either the steel spur or the brass pinion so I think the mesh I have is pretty spot on.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:34 AM
Stryker48

The pic still has the stock wing.
This is the wing I purchased "Vortex wing" (still to be installed) http://www.rcidcustom.com/mm5/mercha...ory_Code=Wings
These are reportedly one of the strongest wings on the market.