Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

BLACKOUT XTE PRO gears

Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 AM
kgw82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLACKOUT XTE PRO gears

Ive had the blackout XTE pro for a little over a week and the spur and motor gear have already stripped out.. i would like to replace the stock 55t plastic gear with a 55t metal gear of some sort. I noticed there is a 64t steel gear on red cats site, it seems like it would work in the Blackout but wanted to consult some more experienced members before purchasing. Can it be done? what would the effect be of going with higher tooth gear? slower? faster?

Only reason im considering the 64t is because the gear is metal, maybe i just missed the 55t metal gear?

Also, if anyone has a link to a video showing how to replace that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:33 AM
beamsjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I was told that changing the spur to metal is not a good idea because the spur gear is meant to be a failure point, by replacing with a metal gear you run the risk of breaking something more expensive if something goes wrong. Have you checked to see if you still have any teeth on the spur? Sometimes the gears are not seated properly together and the outside will get eaten up, you may be able to move your motor in closer to make contact with the remaining teeth and get more life from that gear. As for your question about speed, Lets say that you have a 10 tooth gear on your motor, and the spur gear is 55 tooth, it will take 5.5 turns of your motor to equal one revolution. By increasing to a 64 tooth it will now take 6.4 turns to travel the same distance, so you would be slowing the speed down and increasing torque by doing this.