Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Blackout Brushless upgrade question

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Blackout Brushless upgrade question

Old 07-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Kinger113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackout Brushless upgrade question

I have a redcat blackout xte, and also a volcano pro. I want to put the brushless from the volcano into the blackout , will this work? And do I need to swap the Esc also ? Or is the blackout Esc okay to use with a brushless and lipo? Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Firesilverblade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will but you have to get a low volt cut off switch for the lipo battery or it will kill the battery permanently and there is a adjustment on the esc to use lipo battery but just use the esc from the volcano truck.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the brushed version of the blackout, then you will have to use both the motor and the ESC from the volcano. You cant mix the brushed blackout ESC with the brushless motor.
The volcano motor should bolt right in, but remember to swap the pinion gear...and watch the temps of the motor the first time you use it. Usually you can get away with using the stock pinion gear of a brushed motor when you put it on a brushless motor...but sometimes that pinion will be too large or too small (tooth count) which will cause the brushless motor to run hot which could cause damage.
I use a $20 duratrax temp gun. Temps between 120-140 are good, 150-160 is OK. Anything above that and you will shorten the life of the motor. If temps get above 190, it is only a matter of time before something in the motor fails.