Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:49 PM
dshade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera engine removal

I broke the starter string on the Caldera 3.0. I know I need to remove the engine to repair. What kind and size screw do I need to remove.
Torx, hex or Phillips and what size? Screw heads are very small and I don't want to mess them up using wrong tool

Thanks?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

other than the throttle linkage and muffler parts, there should be 4-5 screws under the chassis that you need to remove. Id think they would be hex, but could be Philips. If hex, they could be 2, 2.5 or 3mm. If you don't have a set of hex drivers, it is time to buy a set. But you can just buy a set of hex keys from any hardware store, hex drivers are just easier to use.
It never hurts to shoot some PB blast on the screws first and let it set for a half hour before trying to remove them.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:48 AM
krokodyl

Yeah there hex. You have to really watch out because they are thread locked and i stripped all 4. I had to use a dremel and then a flat screw driver. It took a long time.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by krokodyl
Yeah there hex. You have to really watch out because they are thread locked and i stripped all 4. I had to use a dremel and then a flat screw driver. It took a long time.
sometimes when you strip a hex screw, you can get lucky and a torx bit of the right size will still grip. I had a 10mm hex bolt on the transmission of my car and it stripped (that's what I get for not changing the fluid in 80k miles) and all other methods didn't work. Then I grabbed a couple of torx bits and sure enough one of them fit and grabbed the few points remaining in the bolt.

There are also "easy out" bits...cost a few bucks but will save lots of time.

Ive never bothered, but I would think hitting the screws with PB blast before trying to remove them would help lesson the chance of them stripping.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 PM
krokodyl

yes i think as long as you push hard on the screw you should be ok...