Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

What must have parts to keep in stock

Old 11-27-2015, 04:02 PM
baboo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What must have parts to keep in stock

Getting son Blackout xte what parts should I get to keep in stock
Yes we are new
Upper and lower control arm
Servo
Spur gear
What else.........thanks
Old 11-27-2015, 04:52 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Everything, as it will all fail in short order. There is a reason redcats are low priced. Some good advice ? Spend some more money now on a better built more reliable vehicle.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 PM
watertrucker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you you have a good basic list there. Maybe add an extra battery and a few dog bones. And Welcome!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:51 AM
RC Envy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by baboo View Post
Getting son Blackout xte what parts should I get to keep in stock
Yes we are new
Upper and lower control arm
Servo
Spur gear
What else.........thanks
I'd add shocks to that list. Most of those items are relatively cheap so keeping some on hand is usually a good idea.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 PM
mikeeal35

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

C-hubs.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 PM
RobotWerks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[NOTE: I got halfway through this post then had to go do something else. I will finish it a little later]

I have to say that I am pretty thrilled with my Blackout XTE Pro. It's powerful, cleverly designed (universal parts) and is a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

With that said, I have run into a few minor issues...and this is how I am addressing them...

PROBLEM: Parts are Pretty Easily Broken...
On my first big crash I almost destroyed one side of the front end. To list a few, I damaged the lower control arm, damaged the hub carrier and broke the tab for the upper control arm clean off the top of the differential. I was at the family's house for Christmas and fortunately I had some steel wire and my Gerber Multitool with me so I was able to sort of patch things up and limp back into the field. On another day I was running the truck without the body and flipped going over a small jump and wasted the top of the rear diff, ripping off a section where the body mount post screws in. This also detached my rear shock mounts, so I was sidelined for a bit until I created a bracing system front and back

Parts I Broke:
Lower Control Arm (BS213-007) - $7.99/pair
Differential Gearbox Bulkhead Upper (BS213-010A) - $4.99/set

FIX: Modifications and New Parts...
For the broken lower control arm I was able to patch up the end with some sheet metal and a couple of machine screws. It's not perfect, but it is strong and has held up through all further abuse. Last week I got on Amazon and ordered

PROBLEM: The Wheelbase is Too Narrow with Stock Tires...
Since the Blackout XTE Pro is stupid fast, even with the stock 2S Lipo, and the suspension is a little bit soft it has a tendency to flip pretty bad if you're too fast in a turn.

FIX: Wider Tires with a Bigger Offset
I happened to have these laying around and after glueing the tires to the rims they make a huge difference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191013834305 ($28.99/complete set)

More Problems and Fixes to follow...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2140188  
Old 01-08-2016, 01:10 AM
boomtownxcs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Everything, as it will all fail in short order. There is a reason redcats are low priced. Some good advice ? Spend some more money now on a better built more reliable vehicle.
I'm new to this as a hobby, but someone correct me if I am wrong here.. All RCs of any type will fail in short order for a beginner. These things are made of plastic and aluminum.. A friend of mine has gotten me hooked on RC cars and I have purchased a caldera 10e.. First run today I hit a curb at roughly 20MPH (tried to hit the sidewalk ram.. That went poorly) and managed to bend the aluminum brace on the drive line.. After bending it back the car was ready to roll again. I watched my friend do the same thing with a 1/10 Losi XXX-SCB and destroyed the entire passenger right wheel assembly (forgive me for unorthodox part descriptions).

Starting out with the hobby, anyone is going to have parts fail and be broken very quickly. Yes a $400 truck will have readily available parts and potentially better plastic. But help us out on a budget, give us suggestions of parts that we can use to make what we already have better/more quickly repaired.

Baboo: One of the first things my friend showed me to do today as grab an old clicky ink pen and cut the springs, placing them in the Dog bones.. Stock there is nothing there and you can almost pop they out with little flex in the chassis, having the damper to keep things in place will certainly help! From what I have read and found out about theres trucks and cars are as you have indicated.. Control arms, servo, spur, a better pinion than the brass one that came on it is a common suggestion. A better servo would be a GREAT start to upgrading the truck and I will be doing that to mine soon.. Driving a high end truck with a good servo VS the stock on these is incredible! I would put it at the top of my list for things to prepare to upgrade.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:33 AM
CapeTruckMan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have also been thrilled with the Blackout XTE Pro, it has taken more abuse than any other r/c I've ever owned which includes Losi, Associated, Traxxas , ect (although that was back in early 90's) I was very skeptical about buying it but it was a great decision for $200 and some change it is a great deal. The design is very simple which is good, parts are readily available online and the truck just rips out of the box. I actually broke my first part last night or I should say bent, I launched off a burm at fairly high speed and landed on a large rock I didn't notice and bent one of the front dog bones. Some how the truck managed to land right on the point of the rock and it came up on the inside of wheel and bent the dog bone. The only other thing I've had to replace is the three screws that secure the front bumper. I highly suggest you go amazon and read Daniel Staggers review on it, he has an excellent right up with many tips, minor mods and adjustments with pics, good stuff.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:52 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by boomtownxcs View Post
I'm new to this as a hobby, but someone correct me if I am wrong here.. All RCs of any type will fail in short order for a beginner. These things are made of plastic and aluminum.. A friend of mine has gotten me hooked on RC cars and I have purchased a caldera 10e.. First run today I hit a curb at roughly 20MPH (tried to hit the sidewalk ram.. That went poorly) and managed to bend the aluminum brace on the drive line.. After bending it back the car was ready to roll again. I watched my friend do the same thing with a 1/10 Losi XXX-SCB and destroyed the entire passenger right wheel assembly (forgive me for unorthodox part descriptions).

Starting out with the hobby, anyone is going to have parts fail and be broken very quickly. Yes a $400 truck will have readily available parts and potentially better plastic. But help us out on a budget, give us suggestions of parts that we can use to make what we already have better/more quickly repaired.

Baboo: One of the first things my friend showed me to do today as grab an old clicky ink pen and cut the springs, placing them in the Dog bones.. Stock there is nothing there and you can almost pop they out with little flex in the chassis, having the damper to keep things in place will certainly help! From what I have read and found out about theres trucks and cars are as you have indicated.. Control arms, servo, spur, a better pinion than the brass one that came on it is a common suggestion. A better servo would be a GREAT start to upgrading the truck and I will be doing that to mine soon.. Driving a high end truck with a good servo VS the stock on these is incredible! I would put it at the top of my list for things to prepare to upgrade.
When you abuse anything it will fail quickly. When you have an accident you will usually break something. That's not what I said. A cheap car is cheap for a reason;the parts don't hold up well under normal conditions compared to others. Fit and finish of parts is rough as well.
To learn to drive you need to develop both throttle and steering control and that typically takes some time. The best brand that helps achieve this is Traxxas with their learning mode.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:57 PM
Smithp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am new to the rc hobby all so. I just gut a rc redcat volcano epx. Lot of fun. Not hard to work on. Fast enough for me to brake. Waiting for upgrade parts. I all so did not have 400.00 to start the hobby. As far redcat gos I would buy another redcat and plan to stay with redcat.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Smithp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are wright all rc brake. I'm also new to the hobby. I gut a redcat volcano epx in December. I did not have a lot of money to start out. I am planing to upgrade parts in time. I haveve takeing it apart and put it back to together just to see how it went together. I'm happy with. It's fast enough for me to brake,eazy to work on,parts are up grade able. I am planing to get another redcat in time.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:44 PM
krokodyl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You should probably buy 2 of each each part that breaks, that way you will have the parts that have a higher chance of breaking.

Last edited by krokodyl; 02-21-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:49 PM
krokodyl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure, redcats are not made quite aswell as other companys rcs, and will break more often. Lot's of people buy a redcat just to do some driving around the yard and a few jumps here and there. They will not break easily if this is how you drive them. Any rc will break in a bad crash, but the redcat may break easier. IMO their bigger and more expensive models do hold up very well. The smaller cheaper models break faster, but will hold up well if you don't bash them real hard. It is not true that the model will simply fall apart quickly. My point is that this is a redcat SUPPORT forum, and people posting here are looking for good advice and support. They dislike hearing: Oh redcats are crap, buy a savage. Normal conditions will mean different stuff to different people, but redcats are perfect for driving around the yard with a few minor jumps. If full speed jumps often is what you're looking for, then maybe redcat is not what you are looking for.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:03 PM
jmburt01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is correct, I have practically made a new car in replacements. So much so that my black out is slowly becoming a team associated and traxxas because I the redcat is junk. Great start but without a doubt you will spend double on fixing stuff thend end up with the same car. For instance today my steering servo died. My car is a few months old, I had a futaba I just put in so no big deal. I keep telling my wife that if I would have got a 400$ car I would have been better off. I love my blackout because I've built into something better than what it was and it's kind of my rc child.

Parts,
Differential cover!
Gear cover!
Linkages,
Shocks
Lower suspension arms
Dog bones
Left and right wheel hub

Last edited by jmburt01; 03-05-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:30 PM
goldemi1

This thread is old and possibly dead/unmonitored, but curious if there's a parts map of the vehicle somewhere (blackout, non-pro version) with the actual names of the parts rather than just the numbers as the manual has. It's hard as a newbie to learn the parts/functions when no names are given! (though maybe I'll learn to speak in part-numbers instead)

Thanks so much
G
Old 12-05-2018, 06:49 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greetings.

I thought the Blackout (XTE Pro), from Redcat Racing, had pretty good manual when compared to other some other Redcat platforms. The Blackout manual (XTE Pro) is definitely a step up from the usual exploded view only. The older manual I looked at has part numbers and names of the parts.