Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

My Broken Birthday Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:28 PM
Dark Mantis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Broken Birthday Truck!

Hi All
I Am New To Redcat Racing But Not New To Nitro Cars And Trucks.
I Have Been Out Of The Game For About Ten Years Now.
My Insanely Awesome Wife Got Me A New Redcat Volcano S30 For My Birthday!
After I Finished Jumping Up And Down I Pulled The New Truck Out Of The Box!
I Pulled The Body Pins Out And Gave The Body A Tug, Off Popped The Lid To Revile The Sweet Black And Blue Guts! Wow That Looks So Nice! I Hugged My Wife Again And Gave Her Another Kiss, I Was So Happy! Still Am!
After I Calmed Down A Bit And Stopped Pushing The Truck Around The Living Room I Started Looking Closer At The Workings Of My New Prize. First Thing I Spotted Was The Fuel Line Going To The Carburetor Was Pinched As Soon As It Came From The Fuel Tank. I Pulled Out Some Tools And Started To Remove Screws. Yes My Wife Said "You Didn't Evan Start The Thing Up Yet And Your Taking It Apart!"
To Fix The Pinched Fuel Line I Put The Fuel Tank On TOP Of The Upper Deck And Cut Off 1/4 Inch Of Fuel Line.
I Set Up The Tx/Rx, Put In The 20% Nitro Into The Tank That My Wife Also Got Me And Slapped In 4 Batteries. The Truck Started On The Second Pull!
SWEET! I Let It Idle For The First Full Tank Without Any Problems. After About A 45 Minute Phone Call, Back To The Truck I Went. I Refilled The Tank And Snapped The Lid Closed With A Grin.
The Truck Started On The Second Pull Again!
I Hit The Gas Just A Bit To Get The Truck Going. I Was Doing The "No More Than 1/4 Throttle". All Was Well For 1/2 Of The Second Tank Of Fuel And Then; BAMM! Disaster Struck! The Truck Would Not Slow Down Much. Each Time I Hit The Gas To The 1/4 Mark I Hit The Brakes. Less And Less Braking Each Time Until NO Brakes At All! "Oh Snap" I Cried! I Let The Truck Roll To A Stop And Plugged The Exhaust With My Finger To Kill The Engine. I Messed With The Controller A Bit, Moved The Brake Lever On The Truck; NOTHING!
The Brakes Did Nothing At All. I Set The Truck Down To Cool Off So I Could Spray It With "lol" Brake Clean Before Taking It Into The House.
After Noticing The Brake Disk Looked Odd I Pulled The Transmission To Find That The Small PUCK That Actuates The Brake Was Off Center, The Transmission Housing Had Melted. I Was Sad. I Fired Up The Magic Box And Ordered An Aluminum Transmission Housing And New Brakes To Fix The Problem. That Better Do It!
Now I Have A NO Brake, Wants Me To Play With It Broken Truck. All I Can Do is Look At It. Looking At It I Noticed The Throttle Linkage Has A Large Off Amount Of Skew When I Pull The Trigger. No Good! The Linkage Is Kind Of Binding, The Small Plastic Part On The Carburetor Bends At Full Pull. Not Good. I Am In The Process Of Re-configuring The Linkage To Fix This "To Be Next" Problem.
Back To Pushing My Truck Around The House With My Wife Asking Me If I'm 12.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Dark Mantis

Hi Again Folks

I Just Got My Aluminum Transmission Housing Last Night. I Installed It Right Away. Redcat Needs To Check What They Make.

1) The Posts That They Send With The Body Are Way Long, I Had To Use The Old Ones. If The New Posts Are For The 2 Speed Transmission The YIKES!

2) With The Brakes Issue I Had On The Stock Housing The Aluminum One Is Worse. The Screw Caller Is WRONG! The Screw Will Bend The Brake Steal Before It Ever Bottoms Out.

To Fix This Issue I Used 2 Brake Disks And 3 Brake Steals. Now The Screws Are To Short So I Got Longer Ones. The Holes In The Housing Are Threaded All The Way Through So If The Screw Is Too Long It Will Get Into The Gears.

Threadlocker Can Only Lock So Much. I Located 2 Nuts That Fit The Thread, They Were To Fat So I Ground Them Down To The Thickness I Liked. Now I Have 2 JAM Nuts That Are Much Better To Hold The Screws In Place.

3) The Upper Deck Hits The Transmission. Time To Hack Off Some Plastic To Make The Deck Fit.

As For The Throttle Problem, Turning The Servo On It's Side Will Not Work. So With The Servo Back In Its Original Position I Bent The Linkage More At The Same Place Redcat Did, Just More! This In-turn Shortened The Throw Of The Servo

Stopping The "Over Open" Carburetor Linkage Bending. This "More Bend" Puts The Servo And The Linkage At A More Perpendicular Position With The Carburetor For Better, Smother Action.

And One More Thing This Did Was To STOP The Linkage From Hitting The Pull Start Handel So Bad That It Gets Stuck.

I Did Change Out The Steering With An Aluminum One I Had From My HPI RS4MT. Fit Like It Was Made For It.

TWO WORDS For Redcat: Fitment And Geometry.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Dark Mantis

The Day I Opened It!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010077.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	2154690  
Old 03-27-2016, 05:16 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Dark Mantis
Hi Again Folks

I Just Got My Aluminum Transmission Housing Last Night. I Installed It Right Away. Redcat Needs To Check What They Make.

1) The Posts That They Send With The Body Are Way Long, I Had To Use The Old Ones. If The New Posts Are For The 2 Speed Transmission The YIKES!

2) With The Brakes Issue I Had On The Stock Housing The Aluminum One Is Worse. The Screw Caller Is WRONG! The Screw Will Bend The Brake Steal Before It Ever Bottoms Out.

To Fix This Issue I Used 2 Brake Disks And 3 Brake Steals. Now The Screws Are To Short So I Got Longer Ones. The Holes In The Housing Are Threaded All The Way Through So If The Screw Is Too Long It Will Get Into The Gears.

Threadlocker Can Only Lock So Much. I Located 2 Nuts That Fit The Thread, They Were To Fat So I Ground Them Down To The Thickness I Liked. Now I Have 2 JAM Nuts That Are Much Better To Hold The Screws In Place.

3) The Upper Deck Hits The Transmission. Time To Hack Off Some Plastic To Make The Deck Fit.

As For The Throttle Problem, Turning The Servo On It's Side Will Not Work. So With The Servo Back In Its Original Position I Bent The Linkage More At The Same Place Redcat Did, Just More! This In-turn Shortened The Throw Of The Servo

Stopping The "Over Open" Carburetor Linkage Bending. This "More Bend" Puts The Servo And The Linkage At A More Perpendicular Position With The Carburetor For Better, Smother Action.

And One More Thing This Did Was To STOP The Linkage From Hitting The Pull Start Handel So Bad That It Gets Stuck.

I Did Change Out The Steering With An Aluminum One I Had From My HPI RS4MT. Fit Like It Was Made For It.

TWO WORDS For Redcat: Fitment And Geometry.
Lol....It sounds like your getting back on your a game again!.....
Old 03-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Dark Mantis

I Hope You Can See What I Did, The Pics Are Kind Of......
The Linkage That Works So Much Better And The HPI Old School Steering .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010085.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	2154691   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010086.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2154692  
Old 03-27-2016, 05:40 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by Dark Mantis
I Hope You Can See What I Did, The Pics Are Kind Of......
The Linkage That Works So Much Better And The HPI Old School Steering .
I guess redcat figured that they would just slap one together an sell it ,figured the consumer will end up modifying it anyways!...LOL
You gotta do watcha got to do to make it better....
Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Dark Mantis

Hi Peepz!

I Posted All My Babbling From This Forum And Posted It On Redcat's Facebook Page, They Want To Help Me With Warranty! They Did Remove My Post From Public View But It Is A Nice Gesture. To Bad I Fixed My Problem Already With An

Aluminum NOT Well Fitting Transmission Housing That They Make And Solved The Pull Start In The Linkage And Carburetor Over Throw Issue. I'm Sure They Would Have Just Sent Me Another Plastic Transmission Housing But They DID

Contact Me And In My Mind That Counts A Lot.