Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Using Traxxas batteries in Red Cat Volcano

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Using Traxxas batteries in Red Cat Volcano

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:00 AM
arnieswap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Traxxas batteries in Red Cat Volcano

Hi,

I have a Traxxas Slash and my wife got a Red Cat Volcanon...without telling me. Now Red Cat uses a different connector 4mm Redcat HXT. I have many LiPo batteries for Traxxas and I don't want to invest a few hundred $$$ again in buying Red Cat batteries and charger. Is it safe, or is there any way to use Traxxas batteries in Red Cat? Either I can get an adapter or I can cut the wire and solder a new wire with Traxxas battery female port? Amazon search does point at some adapters but I fear about the quality as I don't want fire.

Please suggest.

Last edited by arnieswap; 06-14-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, it is safe. I'd actually suggest chopping off those HXTs and installing Traxxas connectors, but you're looking for a male Traxxas connector.

Connector; http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Traxxas-...shoppingengine
Old 06-14-2016, 09:51 AM
The Saylors

The connectors are one of the things that traxxas got right. I have all of mine converted to theirs. it's nice since you cant plug them in the wrong way and they keep most of the water out.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 AM
arnieswap

Aweome thanks. I had no clue about these connectors. Ordered a set. Now all my cars will have Traxxas connectors.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hold up there, couple of things to check first!

is the volcano a brushed, or the brushless pro version?

If it is brushed there is one true and one potential issue. True is that the brushed ESC does not have low voltage detection. I often run lipos on models without low voltage detection, but if the model starts to slow down and you keep driving, you can damage the lipo.
Potential is that the stock ESC is not rated for 8.4v. Now that said, I have run lipo on them before. Some people have had their ESC's burn out really fast, some will last a good long time. It seems to depend on driving style, terrain you are driving on and factors like that. Ive had one burn up quick...and Ive had a couple others that ran on lipos just fine and then I sold them. In other words, run lipos only if you have cash to buy a different ESC down the road.

If it is brushless version, then just put traxxas female plug on the redcat ESC and you are good to go! Though, it is best to stick with 2s lipos. They can run 3s but that may require gearing down, or adding a fan on the ESC and heat sink on the motor. Again, depends on driving style, ESC settings and the type of terrain.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:45 PM
arnieswap

Thanks. Low voltage detection was my concern (reading more and more about RCs now). So thanks for pointing that our and I am now not going to risk with Lipo on this one. Even if I don't use Lipo, just charging Red Cat Nimh with Traxxas ID charger will be a better deal as the charger that came with it is pathetic and I am not going to invest $$s in a platform that I will not be expanding. I am planning to buy an X-Maxx...so all my investment will go there. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:45 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi arnieswap , either ESC ( brushed or brushless ) are able to be used with 2S Lipo batteries .
Which one do you have ? Both have a Lipo Cut Off

Last edited by seedygreenute; 06-19-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
Hi arnieswap , either ESC ( brushed or brushless ) are able to be used with 2S Lipo batteries .

Which one do you have ? Both have a Lipo Cut Off
that may be true for the newer, waterproof version brushed esc.  The older version (which I was thinking of) did not have low voltage detection.  If the newer version has it, then it is also rated for 8.4v and should be safe to run with 2s lipos.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:27 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I based my response on the spares offered by RedCat ( probably what is currently put into the car ) .
Brushed ESC = WP 1040
Brushless ESC = WP 10BL60
Both of the ESCs are made by Hobbywing .
If it is an older version like nitrosportsandrunner has said it might not have LVC .
Could you post a pic of the ESC ?