Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Aftermarket Blackout Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:50 AM
HordesOfHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket Blackout Shocks?

Does anyone know of a supplier or seller who offers aftermarket shocks for the Redcat Blackout series line of vehicles? I am aware Redcat offers an a pair of aluminum bodied shocks, but I'm interested in more color options than their "Gun Metal" gray line.

Alternately, is there any way of taking other shocks (such as those used in the Volcano,) and modify them to run on the Blackout? Really just looking for something a little different than the average look!
Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM
The Saylors

Shocks are roughly universal. I would measure the shock height, shock body diameter, and shaft diameter to get you to were you need to go. Once you have measurements then tracking some down should be pretty easy as long as they take normal eyelets on the ends. Also i just looked on amazon and it looks like redcat has put out a few choices that would fit.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Tatsukokuou

I have a Blackout SC that I race at my local trace and I run Team associated big bore shock. They fit nice and have different springs that I can change to
Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 AM
Geminii23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone! New to the community and to RC cars in general. It looks like it has been awhile since anyone was in this thread so hopefully someone can help me out here.

My sons recently got a pair of Redcat Blackout XTEs for Christmas. We have been having a blast with them this weekend! So much fun. I was unfortunately one of those kids who never could afford this hobby in my youth and always sat on the sidelines watching the kids in my neighborhood race. But now I am really excited to be getting into this hobby with my sons. I might need to get one of these little trucks for myself!

So, I have always had a modder mentality. Used to mod Video Game systems and also built my own computers. So I naturally started researching what modifications I can make to these little trucks. I also think it helps with getting my kids into learning how to fix things on their own. I am primarily concerned with modding for durability sake but it might be fun to put some bling in them.

I stumbled upon your thread here and I saw that Redcat sells aluminum shock upgrades for the Blackout (which I think the current ones are black plastic and don't seem to be very tight) and also an aluminum Hop Up kit. I am definitely open to aftermarket (non-Redcat branded) parts if I can get them cheaper.

I know these are just entry level and inexpensive trucks, but are new shocks and these aluminum Hop Up parts worth the upgrade?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 AM
HordesOfHobbies

Front aluminum suspension arms are a MUST for the Blackouts, which I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. Replacing the rears is more of a nicety. The stock shocks are okay, the aluminum variants not anything really impressive except for the fact they are aluminum. It's generally the rods that bend so regardless of whether you hit a tree with plastic of aluminum shocks, you're just as likely to bend one.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:27 AM
HordesOfHobbies

@The Saylors, what are the dimensions of shocks you sport? (length fully extended, and diameter?) I'd love to try a pair.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Geminii23

Originally Posted by HordesOfHobbies
Front aluminum suspension arms are a MUST for the Blackouts, which I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. Replacing the rears is more of a nicety. The stock shocks are okay, the aluminum variants not anything really impressive except for the fact they are aluminum. It's generally the rods that bend so regardless of whether you hit a tree with plastic of aluminum shocks, you're just as likely to bend one.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Do you know if there are better aftermarket shocks that would fit the Blackout? I was also looking at the Hop Up kit which seems to have all the front suspension parts. But it is very pricey from Redcat.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:11 AM
HordesOfHobbies

Haven't found anything specifically advertised for the Blackout models, but I'd love to find some myself.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Toother1321

I saw the aluminum hop up kit myself and was 50/50 on it. Mixing aluminum parts with plastic parts, just seems to me like it's asking for trouble. I would rather have a plastic suspension arm just break in an accident rather than have an aluminum arm survive but send all the force into the chassis and break a mounting point there. If you wind up going to the aluminum parts please give an update.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:52 AM
4NJBOYS

Haven't found anything specifically advertised for the Blackout models, but I'd love to find some myself.
Check out Amazon I bought my Trucks there and many other parts, Bill
Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Geminii23

Originally Posted by Toother1321
I saw the aluminum hop up kit myself and was 50/50 on it. Mixing aluminum parts with plastic parts, just seems to me like it's asking for trouble. I would rather have a plastic suspension arm just break in an accident rather than have an aluminum arm survive but send all the force into the chassis and break a mounting point there. If you wind up going to the aluminum parts please give an update.
My Volcano just arrived and I got to play with that this weekend. It has dual aluminum shocks (8 total instead of 4). Comparing the Blackout to the Volcano, I do believe that the Aluminum shocks make a difference. Mainly the Volcano shocks are tighter and I think the steering is better as well. But the Volcano is slower than the Blackout. I should have gotten the Pro. hahah.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:11 AM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by Geminii23
My Volcano just arrived and I got to play with that this weekend. It has dual aluminum shocks (8 total instead of 4). Comparing the Blackout to the Volcano, I do believe that the Aluminum shocks make a difference. Mainly the Volcano shocks are tighter and I think the steering is better as well. But the Volcano is slower than the Blackout. I should have gotten the Pro. hahah.
I found that the Battery that with the blackouts were minimum in all respects after installing a larger one performance increased. I also found out the shocks need to be adjusted to a harder setting especially the frontI just ordered better Alum. shocks and holding off on the alum. suspension arms. for what the other OP said force breaking other parts Unless you do a complete suspension upgrade.
Good luck. In time if my grandsons stay involved I will upgrade if and when needed. Its only Money LOL Bill

Last edited by 4NJBOYS; 01-02-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Geminii23

Originally Posted by 4NJBOYS
I found that the Battery that with the blackouts were minimum in all respects after installing a larger one performance increased. I also found out the shocks need to be adjusted to a harder setting especially the frontI just ordered better Alum. shocks and holding off on the alum. suspension arms. for what the other OP said force breaking other parts Unless you do a complete suspension upgrade.
Good luck. In time if my grandsons stay involved I will upgrade if and when needed. Its only Money LOL Bill
Yup. I bought the 3800 batteries for all three of our trucks. Did you order the Redcat brand aluminum upgrade shocks? Or another brand? Let me know if they are improvement.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 AM
4NJBOYS

Yup. I bought the 3800 batteries for all three of our trucks. Did you order the Redcat brand aluminum upgrade shocks? Or another brand? Let me know if they are the improvement.
No problem I ordered them on Amazon I would guess the same brand since Redcat sells on Amazon and states who is the supplier have to check.

Just checked My Order on Amazon seems aftermarket, Redcat list one also but the latter seems to be better due to the description and reviews. Go to Amazon make up your mind I only but from them seems they have full parts selection and competitive pricing not to leave out Best service unconditional satisfaction Guarantee.
Where what state U located

Last edited by 4NJBOYS; 01-02-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:26 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Does anyone know of a supplier or seller who offers aftermarket shocks for the Redcat Blackout series line of vehicles? I am aware Redcat offers an a pair of aluminum bodied shocks, but I'm interested in more color options than their "Gun Metal" gray line.

Alternately, is there any way of taking other shocks (such as those used in the Volcano,) and modify them to run on the Blackout? Really just looking for something a little different than the average look!
What is the length of shocks you need (center of eyelet to center of eyelet)? Having that number could perhaps help narrow down on something close. Finding shocks a tad longer than stock would not be too big of a deal...adjust the droop with internal limiters if necessary.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:12 PM
4NJBOYS

Yup. I bought the 3800 batteries for all three of our trucks. Did you order the Redcat brand aluminum upgrade shocks? Or another brand? Let me know if they are improvement.

Did you ever find what you wanted These are the ones from amazon I ordered come in a few colors? I did not know what WT oil was in the stock one so I changed it to 50wt as recomended by Redcat and will do same when these come I also only upgraded the fronts the backs are fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shocks.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2195866  

Last edited by 4NJBOYS; 01-07-2017 at 12:18 PM.