Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano EPX pro upgrades

Old 10-14-2016, 04:11 AM
jturk1000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Volcano EPX pro upgrades

I watched a neighbor play with his r/c car - it was faster than I had ever known cars could go! The last time I was immersed in r/c cars, I was in high school. I'm 44 - so it's been awhile (THAT's an understatement)! As I began researching, COOL - brushless motors and LiPo batteries. So this person has re-ignited a flame... a fairly old flame, mind you.

I don't have ambitions to race, only have something fun to play around with and enjoy with my kids. When I was active in the hobby, I owned a Tamiya Fox. It was a low-end r/c car, but I fell in love with modifying it. In the end, I think I gave my friend (Associated RC10) his run for the money (in your face Rich! - I think that was his name)...

SO, given that I have kids and a house and cars and... I don't have a surplus of cash. I decided on 1/10 scale, electric and truck. The winner was the RedCat Volcano EPX Pro. Despite all the negatives about poor construction and loose screws, I'm excited to jump in and MODIFY (you have to use the voice from the movie, Cars 2... MODIFY!!).

I don't even have the car, yet - it should be shipping soon. Of course, it comes with the electric brushless 540 Motor and 7.4v 3500mAh LIPO 15C battery & charger.

Based on some of the research I've been doing, here are some extras that I'll have when the new car arrives:

Venom 20C 2S 5000mAh 7.4V LiPO (would love to jump up to 3s and higher voltage, but I don't think the car can handle it, yet)
Tenergy TB6-B 50W balancing charger
Aluminum wheel hexes (I hear they strip out from the high torque)
Aluminum front and rear suspension arms
Aluminum front hub carriers
Aluminum steering hubs
Aluminum rear hub carriers
15*10*4 and 10*5*4 bearings
Hexfly 15kg steering servo

I'm know there's more to be done, but my bank account is tweaked, at this point.

At some point, I'd love to be able to put in a high voltage battery and faster motor. SO, I have two questions.

1) Did I make good choices in my initial mods to get this thing going without breaking on the first day (yes, I know the front bumper is easy to break).

2) What additional mods will I need (not any time soon) to get this thing to accept a high-voltage battery and more powerful motor without blowing the thing up?

Thanks!

Last edited by jturk1000; 10-14-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:02 PM
seedygreenute

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For any Hobbywing ESC I would recommend a Hobbywing Programming Card .
It just makes it easier to program .
Old 10-15-2016, 04:39 PM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturk1000 View Post
I watched a neighbor play with his r/c car - it was faster than I had ever known cars could go! The last time I was immersed in r/c cars, I was in high school. I'm 44 - so it's been awhile (THAT's an understatement)! As I began researching, COOL - brushless motors and LiPo batteries. So this person has re-ignited a flame... a fairly old flame, mind you.

I don't have ambitions to race, only have something fun to play around with and enjoy with my kids. When I was active in the hobby, I owned a Tamiya Fox. It was a low-end r/c car, but I fell in love with modifying it. In the end, I think I gave my friend (Associated RC10) his run for the money (in your face Rich! - I think that was his name)...

SO, given that I have kids and a house and cars and... I don't have a surplus of cash. I decided on 1/10 scale, electric and truck. The winner was the RedCat Volcano EPX Pro. Despite all the negatives about poor construction and loose screws, I'm excited to jump in and MODIFY (you have to use the voice from the movie, Cars 2... MODIFY!!).

I don't even have the car, yet - it should be shipping soon. Of course, it comes with the electric brushless 540 Motor and 7.4v 3500mAh LIPO 15C battery & charger.

Based on some of the research I've been doing, here are some extras that I'll have when the new car arrives:

Venom 20C 2S 5000mAh 7.4V LiPO (would love to jump up to 3s and higher voltage, but I don't think the car can handle it, yet)
Tenergy TB6-B 50W balancing charger
Aluminum wheel hexes (I hear they strip out from the high torque)
Aluminum front and rear suspension arms
Aluminum front hub carriers
Aluminum steering hubs
Aluminum rear hub carriers
15*10*4 and 10*5*4 bearings
Hexfly 15kg steering servo

I'm know there's more to be done, but my bank account is tweaked, at this point.

At some point, I'd love to be able to put in a high voltage battery and faster motor. SO, I have two questions.

1) Did I make good choices in my initial mods to get this thing going without breaking on the first day (yes, I know the front bumper is easy to break).

2) What additional mods will I need (not any time soon) to get this thing to accept a high-voltage battery and more powerful motor without blowing the thing up?

Thanks!
I wouldn't do the aluminum arms. Sure, that extra bling looks good, but after a run-in with a stationary object, or hellacious cartwheeling activities...that stress is gonna be on the hinge pins, bulkhead, and chassis. I'd rather have a $3 arm flex/snap. Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:56 AM
jturk1000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the tip, RustyUs - already ordered, but I get your point!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:56 AM
jturk1000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Specifically, I'm wondering if the modifications I will make are sufficient to handle a higher output battery (11.1v) and faster motor... Maybe there's someone with experience doing this?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First things first. I don't have any first hand experience with Redcat Racing's RCs. I'm sure you may find some threads on forums potentially giving greater in depth expectations on your new truck. I would run the Volcano stock before going all out in the power department. I wouldn't go dumping loads of money into the truck before given the thing a good shake down first, and see if the tranny can handle what is already in the package.

That chassis and drivetrain is used on a couple of Redcat's platforms, if I'm not mistaken. I don't keep up with which Redcat platforms are able to handle gobs of power. If you find yourself wanting more speed and power, you will be looking for a new ESC that can handle 3S LiPo batteries. The stock ESC is only rated 2S~3S...with a warning when using 3S . Four wheel drive short course truck 550 sized motors would be a good place to start looking for new power plant options. But, like I said before, run the truck stock. After deciding you totally want to go the 3S route, pick up new ESC and 3S pack, then run the stock 3300kv motor on 3S. You may find it to be too much. If not, then run the stock 3300kv "into the ground" while looking for new motor.

My top pick on a great, low budget, dependable ESC when you want to move forward...Hobbywing EZRUN WP SC8 Waterproof 120A Brushless ESC Speed Controller 1/10 Truck

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-19-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:53 AM
NEDan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturk1000 View Post
Thanks for the tip, RustyUs - already ordered, but I get your point!
Just for those thinking about aluminum upgrades.
I would'nt do the aluminum a arms without the Aluminum arm mounts.
Go all or don't go at all. Shock towers too.
Keep the weakest link in mind.
I went all aluminum and have flipped it end over end many times without breaking anything.

Search this Thread