Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Help Me Choose which Vehicle to buy...

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Help Me Choose which Vehicle to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Then let me clarify

Several posts have been removed, you don't see them because they are gone.

I have given a blanket warning that treating others poorly, personal attacks, and name calling, won't be tolerated here.

If someone comes here for information that's what they should be given so if someone has time to type a reply then they have the time to type a helpful one. Telling someone to go search isn't how I would like new folks at RCU to be treated. In other words, if someone doesn't like the question, click BACK and go find one that they prefer to answer, but don't be snotty.

Two warnings were given, one by Jester, one by me.

Now again, back to the car discussion. If you have any more questions on the moderating feel free to take it up privately.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:57 AM
katdaddyjames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4NJBOYS
No posts removed or warnings given Just confusion to your posts
LOL. There are a couple of posts missing!

I appreciate the admins stepping up in the help and defense of a new guy without being asked to do so. Shows that this forum in moderated well.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM
katdaddyjames

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Then let me clarify

Several posts have been removed, you don't see them because they are gone.

I have given a blanket warning that treating others poorly, personal attacks, and name calling, won't be tolerated here.

If someone comes here for information that's what they should be given so if someone has time to type a reply then they have the time to type a helpful one. Telling someone to go search isn't how I would like new folks at RCU to be treated. In other words, if someone doesn't like the question, click BACK and go find one that they prefer to answer, but don't be snotty.

Two warnings were given, one by Jester, one by me.

Now again, back to the car discussion. If you have any more questions on the moderating feel free to take it up privately.
PM Sent to you.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

So, to the OP's response, I suggest some sort of Traxxas vehicle instead of a Redcat for that cost. Not bashing any brands at all here, but even I find it a bit hard to keep a Redcat up and going. Your mileage may very though, 4NJBOYS has his grandsons beat on their Volcanos pretty well from what I can tell and those trucks seem to be holding sturdy! Meanwhile, I couldn't get more than 5 runs out of an RS10 without needing to fix something.

By the way, welcome to the forums, katdaddyjames! Hope you stick around here, it really is a great place to chat about RC stuff.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:00 AM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by collector1231
So, to the OP's response, I suggest some sort of Traxxas vehicle instead of a Redcat for that cost. Not bashing any brands at all here, but even I find it a bit hard to keep a Redcat up and going. Your mileage may very though, 4NJBOYS has his grandsons beat on their Volcanos pretty well from what I can tell and those trucks seem to be holding sturdy! Meanwhile, I couldn't get more than 5 runs out of an RS10 without needing to fix something.

By the way, welcome to the forums, katdaddyjames! Hope you stick around here, it really is a great place to chat about RC stuff.
Corrections my Grandsons run Redcat Blackout SC, It is a wonder either one has survived the first Street Runs seems the Curbs kept getting in the way after repairing the damage to both cars things have calmed down to a Dull Roar now it is keeping up with loose wheel nuts and other screws. as I posted stiffening the front ends to keep them from bottoming out because of the way they run on their backyard. Everyone runs under different conditions and have different opinions. Mine was these Redcats were a good choice because learning curves --- Will they stay interested---how to maintain and do repairs --- consequences at a lower cost. Plus the great help from Redcat and Amazon. along with a few of their friends run them add to that the responsible respectful members on this site.
Plus it keeps Grandpa busy and involved with Grandsons Between Baseball, Fishing, Skiing, Biking Skateboarding ( XBox ) it is a diversion right now how far they carry it time will tell. As I said to each his own some never grow up but their toys do. Collector speaks truthful Thanks Bill
Old 03-18-2017, 03:55 AM
NEDan

Originally Posted by katdaddyjames
Newbie here I know...

Torn between the Volcano, Terremoto, Caldera, and Blackout SC.
I have researched the Volcano EPX Pro but not the others.
I am only going to buy a brushless/Lipo/Pro Version. Already have a Tenergy Balance charger.
Won't be doing any racing, this will be for fun...
Roughly $400-450 budget. Don't mind having to do some upgrading out of the box. Kinda planned on it.

What would you buy and why?

I have to ask. So the consistence is ?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:45 AM
mazpr

Just buy the most expensive one and report back to us.

The most expensive gives you bragging rights and is the best. And if something does go wrong you dont come back to the threads w regrets w I got what I paid for... LOL

Buying the most expensive one you will never have to do any wrenching and even if you throw the RC from a cliff it will never break and if it does, which it never happens w hobby grade RC, it fixes itself. Place the RC under the sun for 10 minutes and the ultra violet light creates a chemical reaction enabling auto reverse osmosis. Via GPS a signal is sent to headquarters and a scan is done, sending any available updates to the ESC.

Just dont forget to proudly post pics of your new rc.

Last edited by mazpr; 03-18-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:50 AM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by NEDan
I have to ask. So the consistence is?
My choice since My 2 grandsons are 9=11 and the Red Cat Blackout SC are a perfect fit for them to run around and do the learning curve with them. And for younger Hobbyist I do not care to expose them to LIPO Batteries to many accidents with them. with Only about 1000 models out there opinions are all over the place Just like Chevy- Ford Even NiCads have some faults. like the battery in a photo only 2 months old 4 charges. I went wit the better charger that will be compatible later.
My advise walk before you run. Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2205844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1372.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2205845  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm glad to hear the boys are enjoying their trucks.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 AM
NEDan

My research of price vs Co. support vs durability
is leaning me toward the Volcano Pro ?
Does anyone have any real world input?
Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 AM
mazpr

I have been handling lipos, ni-cads and nihms since they first came out, on airsoft guns, quadcopters, custom made lipo battery drill, electric cars and so far have not had an accident.

The above is my own personal experience. Both are dangerous. I have had nimhs short out on my and overheat that almost catches on fire one of my rc. The only runaway I have had was from a nihm when one of the cells went loose during a hard landing. Lipos cell design is strong and is like a folded sheet of paper, not cylindrical shape soldered one another. A good quality digital charger goes a long way.

The charger you recommend is ok to start up and practical, but not very good to help keep batteries healthy on the long run. There are many advantages of digital battery chargers over entry level chargers.

Children should not be handling any type of battery without adult supervision. I think it will be a great opportunity to educate them. I see on airsoft field plenty of 8, 9, 12 year old kids with airsoft guns carrying and charging lipo batteries. Running with aegs through bunkers, sliding w the air rifle, banging them all over the place and sometimes their electric gun falls to the ground. Have never seen a lipo catch on fire. I do understand your concern, and the need to keep them safe.

Last edited by mazpr; 03-19-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:14 AM
4NJBOYS

[QUOTE=jester_s1;12317464]I'm glad to hear the boys are enjoying their trucks.[/QUOTE

Thanks it is a hobby to them along with many other endeavors.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 AM
4NJBOYS

[QUOTE=mazpr;12317539]I have been handling lipos, ni-cads and nihms since they first came out, on airsoft guns, quadcopters, custom made lipo battery drill, electric cars and so far have not had an accident.

The above is my own personal experience. Both are dangerous. I have had nimhs short out on my and overheat that almost catches on fire one of my rc. The only runaway I have had was from a nihm when one of the cells went loose during a hard landing. Lipos cell design is strong and is like a folded sheet of paper, not cylindrical shape soldered one another. A good quality digital charger goes a long way.

The charger you recommend is ok to start up and practical, but not very good to help keep batteries healthy on the long run. There are many advantages of digital battery chargers over entry level chargers.

Children should not be handling any type of battery without adult supervision. I think it will be a great opportunity to educate them. I see on airsoft field plenty of 8, 9, 12 year old kids with airsoft guns carrying and charging lipo batteries. Running with aegs through bunkers, sliding w the air rifle, banging them all over the place and sometimes their electric gun falls to the ground. Have never seen a lipo catch on fire. I do understand your concern, and the need to keep them safe.[/QUOT

You need another life some of your advice is False Mine comes from Red Cat. Posters see it.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:55 AM
mazpr

Originally Posted by 4NJBOYS
I went wit the better charger that will be compatible later.
My advise walk before you run. Bill
Yeah, definitely walk before YOU run.
NIHM NI-CAD charger specifications

Compatible LATER???, lipos will not work.

Last edited by mazpr; 03-19-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NEDan
My research of price vs Co. support vs durability
is leaning me toward the Volcano Pro ?
Does anyone have any real world input?
As long as parts support is found for the platform you chose, you are good to go. Every RC has weak spots. The problems areas people come into are too long to list. Wanting more power; more speed; go higher; jump farther...etc. etc. etc. Getting bored with so-so speeds and wanting to "up the ante" is where trouble starts IMO.

Researching the crap out of a particular platform, that you have your eye on, is the best advise I can give. Lots of times there are dudes out there that have gone through the "been there and done that" work for you, and have posted it up for all to see.

Sometimes when I'm looking at a RC that intrigues me, I get sidetracked by another RC. I compare what I like, and don't like between the two. For me, it's all about the steering setup. I can deal with plastic shocks, weak rod ends, crappy electronics, but I have this thing for servo savers not being built into the bellcranks of my "bashing" RCs. Again, that's just me.

As long as you have parts...

Get out there and throw some dirt!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM
mazpr

Originally Posted by RustyUs
As long as parts support is found for the platform you chose, you are good to go. Every RC has weak spots. The problems areas people come into are too long to list. Wanting more power; more speed; go higher; jump farther...etc. etc. etc. Getting bored with so-so speeds and wanting to "up the ante" is where trouble starts IMO.

Researching the crap out of a particular platform, that you have your eye on, is the best advise I can give. Lots of times there are dudes out there that have gone through the "been there and done that" work for you, and have posted it up for all to see.

Sometimes when I'm looking at a RC that intrigues me, I get sidetracked by another RC. I compare what I like, and don't like between the two. For me, it's all about the steering setup. I can deal with plastic shocks, weak rod ends, crappy electronics, but I have this thing for servo savers not being built into the bellcranks of my "bashing" RCs. Again, that's just me.

As long as you have parts...

Get out there and throw some dirt!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 PM
KodeMechanic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get 2 Blackout SC Pros!!!!!!!!!!! Extra parts on hand and you have a spare for someone else to bash if they're both in working order.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:11 PM
dpj99cobra

I can chime in here since I'm another newbie. Just got two trucks for me and my son. He is driving (wrecking) a Redcat Volcano 18 and I got the Terremoto 10 V2. Sure he's broken a few parts due to some rather "aggressive" driving but I've kinda enjoyed digging into it and putting new parts on. I'm already accumulating some spares so that's nice too. Seems that the RC world is like most any other hobby/enthusiast community in that everyone has their "go to" setup or vendor or manufacturer. It's fun learning about the RC world on forums like this and while my son and I may not be driving the best of the best they are way better than any other RC cars we've owned (toy grade stuff) and I'm satisfied it was a worthwhile purchase plus my hobby shop/parts resource is only 10 minutes away. I look forward to learning a lot here.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Neptune_RC

I'm new on this site - what a great resource we have to talk and help others out, share knowledge etc. We should all embrace it. All the money I've spent with trial and error to get where I want to be, I'm glad to help someone out who has a question. KatdaddJames - I've had a Vortex SS and bought 2 Volcanos for kids - I'm done with Redcat personally. The price is attractive and they are built well, but where say a Traxxas is almost all solid tough pieces a Redcat is 2 hundred screws and parts - so for beginner they are tough just keeping them from falling apart. The Vortex engine was a nightmare to keep running well tuned and the Volcanos steering saver is junk, just can't make it turn the wheels good and servo is weak junk- called Redcat and their answer was I could buy a better servo for the RTR trucks I just bought - disappointing. IMHO, first time just bashing fun good brand is Traxxas, just tough and easy, parts available etc. If you want to trail/ crawl - I just got Gmade Komodo recently and am in love with it as a RTR fun truck.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:28 PM
XtrmTJ
My Feedback: (6)

To OP, I own/operate Traxxas, Losi, Redcat, ECX, Axial, Exceed, Rustler, Slash (2x4&4x4) Bandit, ERevo, Summit, 8T/E 3.0, Torment SCT, Wraith, RS10, Earthquake 8E. Mad Torque, Max Stone. Of all of them the BEST, Most DURABLE, Most Drivable is the ECX Torment SCT ! I have been bashing this SCT HARD for over two (2) years and nothing has broken, NOTHING ! It is easily upgraded to Brushless and lipo (metal gears from factory). IMHO it is the BEST Beginners/Bashing RC SCT out there ! Best Bang for your Buck ! Just my .02.