Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Help Me Choose which Vehicle to buy...

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Help Me Choose which Vehicle to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 AM
katdaddyjames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Choose which Vehicle to buy...

Newbie here I know...

Torn between the Volcano, Terremoto, Caldera, and Blackout SC.
I have researched the Volcano EPX Pro but not the others.
I am only going to buy a brushless/Lipo/Pro Version. Already have a Tenergy Balance charger.
Won't be doing any racing, this will be for fun...
Roughly $400-450 budget. Don't mind having to do some upgrading out of the box. Kinda planned on it.

What would you buy and why?

Last edited by katdaddyjames; 01-19-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:51 PM
katdaddyjames

Originally Posted by mazpr
ONE POST...

What is the rc going to be used for? for fun? what does that mean?
POST TWO (And I want to point out your 14.3 posts/year, real active huh?)

Basically backyard, street, dirt/gravel road. Not going to be jumping. Mainly to go out and play with the kids.

Last edited by katdaddyjames; 01-20-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 AM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by katdaddyjames
Newbie here I know...

Torn between the Volcano, Terremoto, Caldera, and Blackout SC.
I have researched the Volcano EPX Pro but not the others.
I am only going to buy a brushless/Lipo/Pro Version. Already have a Tenergy Balance charger.
Won't be doing any racing, this will be for fun...
Roughly $400-450 budget. Don't mind having to do some upgrading out of the box. Kinda planned on it.

What would you buy and why?
A Very loaded question I too am a newbie and was drawn To Redcat Blackout SC because of Price Redcat Support and members on here that gave me support. I bought 2 They were for my grandsons 9-10 Christmas Gift.Both took to operating them fast with a few Broken parts easily replaced and repaired I Upgraded after some advice By Redcat and members by changing shock oil to 50 wt Replaced front shocks to the Aluminum ones. added more tension to them also the reason front end dipping in the method they were running them that did front end damage, over grass and bumps. Also went one battery upgrade and Charger. Good luck Bill
Old 01-20-2017, 03:21 PM
The Saylors

I will say that most people start in traxxas or redcat and then never go back to them after the experience (that's not to say that they don't have a couple decent models!). Those two brands are ok for beginners because it teaches you to fix rc cars because the are always breaking That being said i do really like my slash but it's also is the truck that aggravates me the most. I'm truly not trying to be a "negative nancy" lol just want to tell you the truth! Now judging by the ones you were looking at you want a bashing truck, and as with most bashers you want it to break as little as possible ( i'm assuming ). So if i had to choose one rtr for what you're looking for check out the Axial yeti 1/10th (very tough, good ground clearance, tires are pretty big so they absorb impact pretty well, and 4x4). The revo from traxxas isn't too bad either and you have a couple of scale sizes to choose from. My best advice that i can give anyone is keep an open mind when looking, stick to the more major brands so that you can get parts and warranty service but don't make yourself into a traxxas only guy, or a losi only guy ect. Branch out and find your favorite, i'm personally hung up on 1/8th buggies for the moment lol Welcome to the forum! Have a good one!!

Alex

P.s. ignore mazpr, not sure what his issue is but he has been picking on the new guys :-/ I'm sure an admin will tune him up shortly.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:38 PM
katdaddyjames

Originally Posted by 4NJBOYS
A Very loaded question I too am a newbie and was drawn To Redcat Blackout SC because of Price Redcat Support and members on here that gave me support. I bought 2 They were for my grandsons 9-10 Christmas Gift.Both took to operating them fast with a few Broken parts easily replaced and repaired I Upgraded after some advice By Redcat and members by changing shock oil to 50 wt Replaced front shocks to the Aluminum ones. added more tension to them also the reason front end dipping in the method they were running them that did front end damage, over grass and bumps. Also went one battery upgrade and Charger. Good luck Bill

What did they suggest you upgrade besides shocks and shock oil weight?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:42 PM
katdaddyjames

I appreciate the comment on ignoring him. I know I am a newbie to the forum, however I may be new to surface but well versed in air toys.

I want this thing to gour out with my son and play with him. He has some walmart cheapies and this would be something to go out and have fun with him. And pass it down when the time comes if needed.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:01 PM
4NJBOYS

What did they suggest you upgrade besides shocks and shock oil weight?
So far that is the upgrades suggested for the problem I was having. The Nose was dipping and a reminder when you add strength to any part or section you risk breaking the next one in line. Beware you and I have entered into a den of elitists but most will come down to our level to help.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:06 PM
The Saylors

I'm really sorry he's doing that to people, new or not everyone deserves respect especially since a site like this is literally meant for the exchange of knowledge, not insults. Anyway moving on! That's what my dad did with me as a kid and it's still one of my most treasured memories! Still have the vintage losi that we ran, he found it in his garage a couple years ago and i got her all cleaned up and displayed. No matter what you get he will love you for it! Oh man air toys make me nervous lol one screw up and your pretty plane is reduced to it's basic elements. I have had planes and i really liked them but man oh man the heartbreak is a little more than i could bear.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:15 PM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by The Saylors
I'm really sorry he's doing that to people, new or not everyone deserves respect especially since a site like this is literally meant for the exchange of knowledge, not insults. Anyway moving on! That's what my dad did with me as a kid and it's still one of my most treasured memories! Still have the vintage losi that we ran, he found it in his garage a couple years ago and i got her all cleaned up and displayed. No matter what you get he will love you for it! Oh man air toys make me nervous lol one screw up and your pretty plane is reduced to it's basic elements. I have had planes and i really liked them but man oh man the
heartbreak is a little more than i could bear.
Talk about heartbreak my first air toy was a Stick Built Glider paper skin it went By By may sill be flying that was 60 some years ago
Old 01-20-2017, 04:16 PM
The Saylors

Originally Posted by 4NJBOYS
So far that is the upgrades suggested for the problem I was having. The Nose was dipping and a reminder when you add strength to any part or section you risk breaking the next one in line. Beware you and I have entered into a den of elitists but most will come down to our level to help.
Oh no! We as a forum DO NOT want anyone to feel that way!!! The more people, the more knowledge we can collectively share! I have seen you around the last couple of days and i know you have run into a couple of really lame guys but you should know that the majority of us really do just want to help people with the hobby that we love. You should know that people like us NEED people that are new, the more customers there are for the hobby companies the more stuff there is for us to buy lol. There is around 10 guys on here (for the ground based stuff at least) that are like me that just want to answer help me threads so that more people can take part in the hobby. I took a break from the forum for a couple months and came back a few days ago. This was due to a run in with a couple guys like the ones you have had to deal with, they really put a bad taste in my mouth so i just kinda walked away. Now they seem to have grown in numbers, everyone on here was so nice and helpful when i started that wanted to be like them and help people with their car issues. If you guys need any help please shoot me a pm and i will do my best to help!

Alex
Old 01-20-2017, 04:32 PM
4NJBOYS

[QUOTE=The Saylors;12298076]Oh no! We as a forum DO NOT want anyone to feel that way!!! The more people, the more knowledge we can collectively share! I have seen you around the last couple of days and i know you have run into a couple of really lame guys but you should know that the majority of us really do just want to help people with the hobby that we love. You should know that people like us NEED people that are new, the more customers there are for the hobby companies the more stuff there is for us to buy lol. There is around 10 guys on here (for the ground based stuff at least) that are like me that just want to answer help me threads so that more people can take part in the hobby. I took a break from the forum for a couple months and came back a few days ago. This was due to a run in with a couple guys like the ones you have had to deal with, they really put a bad taste in my mouth so i just kinda walked away. Now they seem to have grown in numbers, everyone on here was so nice and helpful when i started that wanted to be like them and help people with their car issues. If you guys need any help please shoot me a pm and i will do my best to help!

Alex Thankyou my experiences have been on Forums is a few members with 1888819001 Posts think they own it
Sad but I know many are Ok standup Guys The moderator even told me to ignore one trouble maker mentioned within this post, They always have to say something to feel important
Old 01-20-2017, 04:44 PM
The Saylors

That's what i have been trying to keep in mind as well is that guys like that are just sad little people that just want to make others feel as bad as they do. If you wanna find the biggest jerks in the world sign up for the traxxas forum. It was the first one i ever belonged to and i was deleting my profile within 45 min of making it. Here on the other (at least up until the last few days) its really rare to run across those guys, that's why i have stayed for almost a year now. Oh btw on your last post , my first plane was a reverse prop v-tail, went up, did a circle and promptly hit the ground at around 40 mph. I just threw down the controller and walked away lol It cost me roughly $30 a second to fly XD
Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 PM
katdaddyjames

I am here and here for the duration...I'm not letting one or 50 idiots run me off. This seems to be a good place for knowledge, which will be exactly what i need.

Air toys...Expensive learning curve. And I mean expensive. You get better, get something bigger, which is like starting over, well you tear it up. And thats a cycle that keeps repeating!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:52 PM
The Saylors

I am here and here for the duration...I'm not letting one or 50 idiots run me off. This seems to be a good place for knowledge, which will be exactly what i need.

Air toys...Expensive learning curve. And I mean expensive. You get better, get something bigger, which is like starting over, well you tear it up. And thats a cycle that keeps repeating!
It really is a great place for knowledge especially if you are having a running issue, there have been many times that i spent all day scratching my head over a problem just to have it answered in minutes on here. Anyways i'm done with work so i'll be offline till monday, have a great weekend guys!
Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 AM
4NJBOYS

[QUOTE=katdaddyjames;Research

Please keep posting your questions We Newbies learn from each other and from the Members that want to share what they have learned since they were newbies. There are no stupid questions only stupid answers. Bill, Conor, Aidan.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm here to let you all know that more more than one moderator had taken notice of this thread. I'm not going to take any action at this point, but I will remind everyone of the RCU posting rules that, among other things, prohibit members from insulting or degrading each other.
If newbie posts annoy you, then don't read the beginner forums or click on the "what should I buy" type threads. It's great to educate new users on the vast resources to be found in the search button, but there is a friendly and tactful way to do that.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM
4NJBOYS

There is never a let up when will it just end.
I for one do not have to be spoon fed or Bash Redcat all my post praise them.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
katdaddyjames

"The norm is to introduce yourself, do some reading, yes, very basic. And once you do your homework we can answer your
doubts/ concerns of what you have read"

~I have done research/homework and narrowed it down to the make AND models I originally asked about.

"FL, do your homework, read and use the search tool. At no time I am expecting anyone to be a rc bible, but this is a forum. This is NOT a customer service chat, or 1-800 number for all your inquiries."

~See above answer and I clearly know this isn't a 800/cs/tech support for inquiries.

"Besides the truck you want to buy, I would consider the vkar Racing Bison. If still in the lines of Redcat, the XBE Pro"

~This would have been a great answer to the original question. However, I have purchased a XTE Pro.

And FOR THE RECORD YOU INSULTED ME FIRST, you are the idiot.

~I didn't insult you, I pointed out a specific fact.

I still got my Blackout Pro, installed a chassis lower plate and upper deck brace from a 1/8th buggy, fit like a glove. I could post the item to buy and pictures of the final product, but so it seems I am the outsider here. While you still figuring out what goes where and how make it better"

~This is the kind of info I am here for.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:13 AM
4NJBOYS

"The norm is to introduce yourself, do some reading, yes, very basic. And once you do your homework we can answer your
doubts/ concerns of what you have read"

~I have done research/homework and narrowed it down to the make AND models I originally asked about.

"FL, do your homework, read and use the search tool. At no time I am expecting anyone to be a rc bible, but this is a forum. This is NOT a customer service chat, or 1-800 number for all your inquiries."

~See above answer and I clearly know this isn't a 800/cs/tech support for inquiries.

"Besides the truck you want to buy, I would consider the vkar Racing Bison. If still in the lines of Redcat, the XBE Pro"

~This would have been a great answer to the original question. However, I have purchased a XTE Pro.

And FOR THE RECORD YOU INSULTED ME FIRST, you are the idiot.

~I didn't insult you, I pointed out a specific fact.

I still got my Blackout Pro, installed a chassis lower plate and upper deck brace from a 1/8th buggy, fit like a glove. I could post the item to buy and pictures of the final product, but so it seems I am the outsider here. While you still figuring out what goes where and how make it better"

~This is the kind of info I am here for.

Suggestion let it go No reason to explain your sell or add insult Just iIgnore hostel replies they are not the norm. just totally Ignore them. as many posters suggested to me Maybe add an avatar and State to personalize yourself Just one Newbie to another. Bill
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM
mazpr

I will state the facts as you call it;

"I'm not letting one or 50 noobs run me off"

Your exact same words, just one minor change in the FACTS.

However what?, you never stated you bought a truck BEFORE I posted the XBE as a choice to buy. If you do a FIND XTE word on your browser the first time it is mentioned is by me, posting #19.

4NJBoys could not have said it better; "A Very loaded question..."

Last edited by mazpr; 01-23-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: just another liar
Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 PM
4NJBOYS

Old 01-24-2017, 05:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Apparently Jester's warning fell on deaf ears, so if your post is gone it was deemed a personal attack and removed.

Next step is a time out, I give the benefit of the doubt to the member but treat others poorly and you will be sent to the penalty box.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:37 AM
4NJBOYS

[QUOTE=BarracudaHockey;12299227]Apparently Jester's warning fell on deaf ears, so if your post is gone it was deemed a personal attack and removed

Must have missed something here ???????????????????
Old 01-24-2017, 08:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Maybe because the posts are gone

Move along with the car discussion
Old 01-24-2017, 09:36 AM
4NJBOYS

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Maybe because the posts are gone

Move along with the car discussion
No posts removed or warnings given Just confusion to your posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.