Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Balancing your wheels/tires. Don't spend up to $60 on a balancer. Make one. It's easy

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Balancing your wheels/tires. Don't spend up to $60 on a balancer. Make one. It's easy

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 12:09 AM
jdub_white

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing your wheels/tires. Don't spend up to $60 on a balancer. Make one. It's easy

I recently discovered some videos on YouTube on how to balance your rc wheels/tires. There are plenty very informative videos on how to do this. It is a very simple process. So I will not post such a video since there are so many good ones available already.

Until I ran across these videos I was unaware that this needs to be done. I am no expert now but I have discovered that most wheel/tire sets that come on your vehicle or sets that you purchase are not balanced. I did purchase a set of Prolines that were balanced correctly but for the price of those things they darn well should be. I'm sure many of you are aware of this but for those who aren't I hope this info can help you.

The next thing I discovered is that wheel/tire balancing systems can be very expensive. I've seen them priced for $15 up to $60! I have a tendency to get creative when it comes to saving money. So I easily created a system for free made from spare parts I had for my Redcat Blackout XTE Pro, an aluminum rod, and some scrap wood I had on hand. It works absolutely great. Posted below are pictures of my wheel/tire balancer. Hopefully you can get some ideas on how to make your own and save yourself upwards of $60. Please don't make fun of the red glitter spray paint. This frame was originally used to hold a jewelry box while painting it glitter red for my mom's mothers day present.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_005100.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	2207663   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_005038.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	632.4 KB
ID:	2207664   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_005027.jpg
Views:	1015
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	2207665   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_004923.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	658.0 KB
ID:	2207666  
Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 AM
KodeMechanic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice little tool you have there. Might at well finish painting it glitter red.

I've seen a few balancing videos, but haven't put anything together yet. I started to balance my prolines while the dogbones were removed from my truck, but didn't see enough out of balance to worry about it. after i assembled everything, I have 2 that need to be balanced. they still do fine on the road, but when you hold the truck in the air an hit the throttle, you can see them wobble a little.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 PM
jdub_white

Thanks. Yes I guess all tires and wheels eventually get out of balance. Especially as demanding as we are on them. As I mentioned before I did buy some Prolines recently and they were very well balanced from the factory. If you have any questions when you get ready to balance yours feel free to contact me,
Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 PM
jdub_white

Oh yes and FORTUNATELY I am all out of glitter red. I do have to say though that is a really neat paint. I found it at Home Depot and it was perfect for the jewelry box I made for mom. Not so much for the balancer though. LOL.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:17 PM
romafern

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:09 AM
4NJBOYS

Overkill IMO how much can Balance really effect performance at the speeds the RCs are run at not to leave out the Surface you are running on If this floats your Boat go for it. What next a Dyno-Meter Wind Tunnels.
If anyone can Justify the Balancing, please by all means Post it.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Very violent forces are going on depending on the size and weight of the tires. Unbalanced wheels/tires wear out bearings; hinge pins; ball cups; steering blocks; caster blocks; hub carriers, and arms faster than if you had balance tires. Again, all depends on the tire.

Perhaps watching some videos on the subject may nudge a person to go ahead and try out a balanced set of tires. I used to balance 1/10 scale buggy tires when racing on high bite clay track. I could tell a difference in all around general feel of the buggy when jumping and straights. Nowadays, since buggies are not raced, I don't balance 1/10 buggy tires too much anymore. The smaller sized buggy tires don't affect too much on a loose off-road track. My 1/10 stadium trucks, with heavier Pro-Line Gladiators tires mounted, almost always get/need balanced.

You can see/feel the vibrations of unbalanced tires while holding the RC off the ground. If it bothers you...balance them. Otherwise, roll on.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:51 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 4NJBOYS
Overkill IMO how much can Balance really effect performance at the speeds the RCs are run at not to leave out the Surface you are running on If this floats your Boat go for it. What next a Dyno-Meter Wind Tunnels.
If anyone can Justify the Balancing, please by all means Post it.
With just a few keystrokes, I pulled up a couple of homemade wind tunnels and RC cars on YouTube. Just simple testing of down forces, and airflow. I'm pretty sure somebody had to do some wind tunnel testing to get the funky cab-forward designed bodies we now see, and are "the norm" for racing. Front shock tower wings...fact or fiction?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:55 AM
4NJBOYS

Smile

You can see/feel the vibrations of unbalanced tires while holding the RC off the ground. If it bothers you...balance them. Otherwise, roll on.[/QUOTE]

I Like the explanation of holding RC of ground. But still not convinced once on the Dirt or any other Rough surface with all the Jumping around Balancing makes performance any better
Was involved with Dirt Modifies and Modify Lights Full-size cars Both Hoosier and Goodyear brand tires never seen or heard of any Balancing all run on from 1/4 to Mile tracks
Indy and formula. Balance. Like I said RC tires balancing Overkill but so are many other Tricks and add-ons Guess it is what Makes it a Hobbie to go for it. JMO but if it keeps you busy go for it. Bill